LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 11-05-2015, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman wheel drive pulley issues

Recently purchase a used Craftsman 27" 250cc Snowblower (for a steal) model 944.522420. The wheel drive belt was off and jammed between the pulley and drive plate. Unjammed and reinstalled belt. Problem is when I start the blower and engage the wheel drive the belt comes off and jams up again. Noticed the top and bottom pulleys are out of alignment quite a bit. I can't seem to find any way to adjust them. Any suggestion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-05-2015, 08:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Check all the bearings for slop. Check the frame for cracks. Make sure the engine is bolted down tight. There are generally 2 types of pulleys. Some are held to their shafts with a bolt and not really adjustable and some slide back and forth and are only held on by a set screw. If yours are the setscrew type just loosed the setscrew and slide them in line and tighten it back down. If yours are the large bolt in the end of the shaft type you might need to shim them with washers.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-05-2015, 08:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Pictures would help us help you.
post #4 of 23 Old 11-08-2015, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok finally got around to take some pics! Here is ths beast we're dealing with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	61898  
post #5 of 23 Old 11-08-2015, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry couldn't figure out why I couldn't put all pics in one post. Here is the left side view drive pulley not engaged.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	122
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	61906  
post #6 of 23 Old 11-08-2015, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
This is with the drive pulley engaged. If I put a straight edge on the bottom pulley it pretty much lines up with middle of top pulley. Suggestions or thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	385
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	61914  
post #7 of 23 Old 11-09-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Anyone?
post #8 of 23 Old 11-09-2015, 10:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
Is it possible your engine sheave is migrating off the shaft? I'm not sure if the amount of shaft showing between sheave and engine is normal. Is the bolt that connects the sheave to the pto shaft tight?
I don't think it's related, but are your other engine mount bolts ok? the one in this photo looks like it's missing.

Last edited by dbert; 11-09-2015 at 10:53 PM.
post #9 of 23 Old 11-09-2015, 11:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
Yeah, sorry for the late response, but it looks as though the engine/pulley has shifted forward. It also appears that the engine mounting bolts are all the way forward in the engine mounting bosses.

My vote, the engine needs to be moved back, to allow the pulley to come back into alignment. Make sure to use a straight edge, to ensure alignment on either side of the pulley.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-10-2015, 01:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo44 View Post
This is with the drive pulley engaged. If I put a straight edge on the bottom pulley it pretty much lines up with middle of top pulley. Suggestions or thoughts?
I just took a look at mine, which is the same as yours except I have a 305cc Briggs engine (with a rear mounted oil drain and a soon to be added throttle control ).

Quick question for ya... do the front auger pulleys set line up properly, or are they offset is a similar manner? If they both have an offset, then I would say the engine is not in the right place on the mounting deck and needs shifting. My engine does NOT have the elongated slots in the base of the block that I see in your photo. I don't see any actual mounting bolts but that's probably due to the photo angle. I have never had the engine off the mounting plate to see if the mounting holes are slotted to allow for alignment.

Mine traction pulleys also has a offset of about 1/4 inch when the clutch is at rest, and they line up pretty much spot on when the clutch is engaged, and the friction plate is pulled back.

I measured the small traction pulley from the rear edge of the pulley to the engine block and came up with 19/32". Check yours and see if its much different from that, which would indicate that the pulley has somehow moved on the shaft.

You also want to confirm that you have the correct belt width on there. I believe the traction belt on mine is 1/2" x 34" Check the manual for that one, might be different on the 250CC engine.

The traction belt spins under tension all the time, even when the clutch is released and its running slightly (1/4 inch) off axis from the lower traction pulley. The only thing that seems to prevent the belt from possibily walking off the top pulley is the belt keeper. Mine is actually just barely touching the belt, very little clearance. Did you note the position of the belt keeper in relation to the traction and auger belts when you first disassembled the unit?

Might be if the keeper had too much gap from the belt, there was room for the belt to escape.

Kind of a half baked design when you think about it. My previous Craftsman 8/24 had an idler pulley for the traction drive which was pulled in by the clutch, similar to the auger drive. When the clutches were released, all the belts stopped and the drive pulley spun inside them. Never had any trouble with that setup.
Attached is an image of the parts list, you are looking for item 53 which is part no 409475 Spacer. you might have the wrong one on there, if the engine is in the right place.

Last edited by skutflut; 11-28-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page