LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 11-24-2015, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Won't start - can't believe it!!

My neighbor's 70 year old husband died two weeks ago after a struggle with cancer. So, all we neighbors are pitching in to help her. She has a "1 year old" single stage blower model number 246.116830. He ran it one time last winter; the day he bought it. It has not been started since. I have tried
everything under the sun to start it. Nothing. The spark plug is as clean as a new one. There is gas getting to the carb; found that out after 30 minutes of frustration and over primed it. The key is in all the way. Can anybody shed any light on the issue. I still can't believe I can't get it started. I've repaired my lawn mowers, my own blowers, pressure washers, all of our cars and trucks, all of my shop tools, and built 4 desktop computers for over 30 years - - but, yet, I can't figure out how to start this one little snowblower!!! Any ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-24-2015, 09:46 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
drain the gas, clean the main jet, and add fresh gas with stabilizer. i cant find your model number online
post #3 of 21 Old 11-24-2015, 09:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Received): 2
Do you have a good spark?
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes db130 liked this post
post #4 of 21 Old 11-24-2015, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Sorry to hear of your neighbor's passing. Our thoughts go out to his widow, and thanks to you and the neighbors who are pitching in to help.

Like has been mentioned, make sure you have good spark. Perhaps get a new spark plug. Clean the carb completely. If it sat with gas in it, it could very likely be clogged.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-24-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
... i cant find your model number online
I got the model number in a text from her. She may have copied it wrong. I'll go over and check it myself. Anyway here it is again - 247.116830. OOOOPS! My mistake - I typed in 246 on my original post; instead of 247. Sorry forum. Serial number JWA1407222A0549.

I'll be back to the forum in about 30 minutes with more comments and questions.
post #6 of 21 Old 11-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
There is a bulletin on those engine carbs, as they used 2 different suppliers. There's quite a bit of chat about them being problematic, especially with fuel left in them.
Pull the supply fuel line and drain the tank and verify it's fuel and not 70-30 mixed with water.
I'd check your oil level and make sure it's not heavy with fuel or water from over priming or leaking float needle.
Verify you see spark with the plug out and grounded to the block. Place a rag over the plug hole in case the cylinder is full of gas, pull the cord several times to displace any fuel.
If you have good spark, shoot some PB blaster or good flammable penetrating oil into the cylinder and replace plug. Hopefully it will fire and cause enough vacuum to get past some minor clogs. They use a idle jet on top of the body with a plug covering it, may need cleaning. The main jet is removable inside the center stalk. Deeper up inside is a plastic emulsion tube with 2 o-rings. They have very tiny holes in the sides that clog easily. Hate to say it, but my local guy doesn't even try to clean these Powermore carbs, they just replace them.
Side note, can't find that model # either, but found 247.11683

Too slow to type, you found the model #
CRAFTSMAN 247.11683 OPERATOR'S MANUAL Pdf Download.

Last edited by jtclays; 11-24-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Eyeboltman thanked for this post
Likes Eyeboltman liked this post
post #7 of 21 Old 11-24-2015, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
drain the gas, clean the main jet, and add fresh gas with stabilizer ...
I was actually trying to avoid this because of the assumption resulting from the newness of the blower. But, I may have to give in and do an R & R.
post #8 of 21 Old 11-24-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdbrn1 View Post
Sorry to hear ... make sure you have good spark. Perhaps get a new spark plug. Clean the carb completely. If it sat with gas in it, it could very likely be clogged.
Thanks for the sympathy vote. A very sad situation. Paid off their house 16 months ago. Both then retired. 6 months later he had a choking spell. Esophageal cancer. Of course the 40 years of cig's didn't help any. Three months of radiation treatment, pneumonia, and infections of all sorts, and he was gone. Now, there she sits - trying to stomp out the bitterness.

I have practiced for years on using stabilizer and SeaFoam. I don't want to argue with anyone but I have had quite a few issues where standard untreated gas has sat in various carb's for a few years and the engine would still start up.

Yep, you guessed it. I'm trying to avoid the rebuild of the carb. Only one year old.

Also, I have not yet checked the spark.
post #9 of 21 Old 11-24-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
... especially with fuel left in them.
Pull the supply fuel line and drain the tank and verify it's fuel and not 70-30 mixed with water.
I'd check your oil level and make sure it's not heavy with fuel or water from over priming or leaking float needle.
Verify you see spark with the plug out and grounded to the block. Place a rag over the plug hole in case the cylinder is full of gas, pull the cord several times to displace any fuel.
If you have good spark, shoot some PB blaster or good flammable penetrating oil into the cylinder and replace plug. Hopefully it will fire and cause enough vacuum to get past some minor clogs. They use a idle jet on top of the body with a plug covering it, may need cleaning. The main jet is removable inside the center stalk. Deeper up inside is a plastic emulsion tube with 2 o-rings. They have very tiny holes in the sides that clog easily. Hate to say it, but my local guy doesn't even try to clean these Powermore carbs, they just replace them.
Side note, can't find that model # either, but found 247.11683 ...
Bunches of good advice here. Thank you very much. Well, give me about a half a day to get back over there and bring the machine back across the street to my house so I am closer to all my tools.

I'll keep checking back to the forum to see if there are any new comments until I can post a new results comment of my own back to the forum.

You guys are being very nice to help. Thanks a bunch!

Dekade
post #10 of 21 Old 11-24-2015, 03:13 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
As others have mentioned switching spark plug may be a good idea regardless of what you see initially when checking for spark. The Powermore comes with a Torch brand plug, typically F6RTC. Lots of complaints about them. Cross ref to NGK BPR6ES, or even Champion RN9YC I think. You said it was clean looking, but wonder if the old timer put some premix 50:1 in there? Should still work, just smoke, but you never know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page