LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
536-909800

I'm trying to replace the 53266ma bearing cup assembly from my 536-909800 Craftsman 8/26 snowthrower. The bearing is between the auger housing and the auger belt/pulley. How do I get to it?

I've removed the inspection plate from the bottom. Then I removed the two pulley bolts that connect to the rod leading to the gear box. I can't seem to budge the pulley. Now the pulley is bent. See picture
Am I going at it all wrong?

Please help.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00099.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	339  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here's the same conversation with no result.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=172263
post #3 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I would say your first step should be unbolting the drive train from the blower housing. That will give you more room to work.

You will need some kind of puller, or maybe a ball joint / tie rod pickle fork to get that off most likely. You may be able to tap it on further to break it loose.

Plenty of penetrating oil in the holes the screws were in and puddle it up on the top of the pulley. If it is real stubborn you might need to heat it.

You may also be able to get a big pry bar with a bend in it and hook it on the collar close to the shaft. Good luck.
post #4 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I would say your first step should be unbolting the drive train from the blower housing. That will give you more room to work.

You will need some kind of puller, or maybe a ball joint / tie rod pickle fork to get that off most likely. You may be able to tap it on further to break it loose.

Plenty of penetrating oil in the holes the screws were in and puddle it up on the top of the pulley. If it is real stubborn you might need to heat it.

You may also be able to get a big pry bar with a bend in it and hook it on the collar close to the shaft. Good luck.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 05:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
first put a large screwdriver back in the pulley and bend it back.

rotate the pulley, there will be a small set screw on the collar of the pulley all the way in where the auger shaft goes into the pulley. take it out.

you will have to split the front half of the snow blower off. look on the outside of the machine for a couple of bolts on the side. i am not familiar with that machine but the two bolts that are holding the belt guards (the two gray wire pieces) look to be two bolts that need to come out, as well as the two bolts that are sticking through from the auger housing(you can just see one red tipped bolt on the left side of your picture.

looks to me like these 4 bolts hold the 2 halves of your machine together.

once you get them apart, the pulley most likely is only held on by that set screw as the pulley is held from spinning by a small keyway on the auger shaft. penetrating oil between the pulley and shaft . maybe some heat if it is really stuck.

then it looks as if the bearing will unbolt and come right off after the pulley is off.

that bearing has probably been there awhile. may need some convincing as well.

good luck and we will check back.

if unsure how something comes apart take more pics , after pulley is off, outside of the blower to see if and more mounting bolts to get halves aparts etc..
post #6 of 17 Old 11-16-2011, 10:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Bearing swapout

JEngele's is a closer match but I think a 536.90515 will be close enough for now. As you take things apart, bag and tag them to help when it comes time to reassemble.

You're not too likely to get the pulley off without some disassembly, so here goes (best I can remember having done it a couple of months ago)
Pull the belt cover, remove the auger belt from the engine pulley
Remove the spring from the auger belt tensioner, remove the auger belt and unbolt the auger tensioner arm from the auger housing. Removing the chute makes it easier to work around it.
Remove the auger chute, auger crank & the piece of sheet tin that covers the corner of the tractor unit behind the auger.
If the gas tank is full, drain some out. Tip the machine up on it's nose and remove the skid plate.
Remove the 2 bottom auger housing to tractor unit nuts along with the belt keepers (9/16" wrench)

Carefully lower the machine to normal position. Support the handlebars and unbolt the two upper auger housing to tractor unit nuts, along with the keeper on the chute side. The following picture is not of this unit but just to show an example

Slip the auger assembly forward about an inch, raise the auger assembly over the top of the front of the tractor unit.
Tip the auger housing so the pulley is up. Loosen the keeper bolts on the pulley, spray penetrant on the end of the impeller shaft between it and the pulley. If the impeller shaft has a clip, remove it. Support the unit by the bottom of the pulley hub, tap the impeller shaft lightly and hopefully it will come apart without too much banging. Lightly tap the pulley hub near the shaft to help loosen it, take it easy because you don't want to mushroom the end of the shaft. Once that's off, remove the pulley key and clean up the shaft with emery paper, unbolt the bearing housing and work it off (couple of screwdrivers work well). At this point, either get a new impeller bearing assembly (bearing along with the mount), or a new bearing and have the old one pressed out and new one in.

Now just reverse the process and reassemble it. I like to use plenty of grease on various shafts etc to help prevent rusting. I also use anti-seize on various nuts and bolts to keep them free in the future.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by HCBPH; 11-16-2011 at 10:51 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-17-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by td5771 View Post
first put a large screwdriver back in the pulley and bend it back.

rotate the pulley, there will be a small set screw on the collar of the pulley all the way in where the auger shaft goes into the pulley. take it out.

you will have to split the front half of the snow blower off. look on the outside of the machine for a couple of bolts on the side. i am not familiar with that machine but the two bolts that are holding the belt guards (the two gray wire pieces) look to be two bolts that need to come out, as well as the two bolts that are sticking through from the auger housing(you can just see one red tipped bolt on the left side of your picture.

looks to me like these 4 bolts hold the 2 halves of your machine together.

once you get them apart, the pulley most likely is only held on by that set screw as the pulley is held from spinning by a small keyway on the auger shaft. penetrating oil between the pulley and shaft . maybe some heat if it is really stuck.

then it looks as if the bearing will unbolt and come right off after the pulley is off.

that bearing has probably been there awhile. may need some convincing as well.

good luck and we will check back.

if unsure how something comes apart take more pics , after pulley is off, outside of the blower to see if and more mounting bolts to get halves aparts etc..
I hope the four bolts do the trick. Then I may take it to a friend that has a heating torch.
On the pulley collar there were two small set screws. I removed them both.

Thanks a bunch! I'll return with the results.

Last edited by gravydude; 11-17-2011 at 12:57 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Splitting the unit

Gravydude

IIRC you will also have to remove the auger belt tensioner in addition to the 4 bolts between the auger housing and the tractor unit. It's easy, just remove the spring between the handle and the actual tensioner, then IIRC it's takes a 3/4" wrench to unbolt it then slide the auger housing forward and up and it's free. IIRC the tensioner actually bolted through a hole in the front of the tractor unit into a nut welded into the auger housing.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-21-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I removed the two halves from each other. I ended up taking the unit to a friend that had a torch. We heated, pried and beat the pulley for 15 minutes before the pulley came off of the shaft.

I can now relax and put it all back together once I replace the bent up pulley. hehe.

Thank you so much!!!

Last edited by gravydude; 11-21-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: grammar
post #10 of 17 Old 11-21-2011, 11:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
they can be stubborn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page