LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-29-2015, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Craftsman 247.88790 Auger not spinning

Chicago got impacted by snow and rain which later today turned into heavy packed snow due to colder temps. I had about 6 inches of wet heavy snow. I used the snowblower and it was working well like a beast blowing snow down the driveway blowing snow on one side The are area where I was blowing snow to became heavy and packed. I used the snowblower to break the heavy snow/ice and blow it. The wheels were spinning, auger clogged with snow/ice as well as the auger assembly. I cleared the chute assembly but NOT the auger area is covered with heavy packed snow. The auger now does not want to spin. The shear pins are still good and have not sheared. Any ideas why the auger would not spin/work and blow snow. Would the auger spin again after I clear the packed snow, if it does not, any ideas?

Your assistance is gereatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-29-2015, 04:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
If it isn't the shear pins pray it is the belt. If it isn't the belt either then there is probably something broken in the gearbox. Is the impeller turning? If the impeller is turning then the augers should also be turning.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-29-2015, 10:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technobuff View Post
Chicago got impacted by snow and rain which later today turned into heavy packed snow due to colder temps. I had about 6 inches of wet heavy snow. I used the snowblower and it was working well like a beast blowing snow down the driveway blowing snow on one side The are area where I was blowing snow to became heavy and packed. I used the snowblower to break the heavy snow/ice and blow it. The wheels were spinning, auger clogged with snow/ice as well as the auger assembly. I cleared the chute assembly but NOT the auger area is covered with heavy packed snow. The auger now does not want to spin. The shear pins are still good and have not sheared. Any ideas why the auger would not spin/work and blow snow. Would the auger spin again after I clear the packed snow, if it does not, any ideas?

Your assistance is gereatly appreciated.

Check and see if the belt is still on the pulley, and in one piece. With all the water it might be slipping. Hopefully you have not stripped the gearbox which would be a big PITA. If you get that much stuff stuck in the works, you need to back off a bit, go slower and let the auger clear itself by taking smalller bites and keeping the forward speed a bit slower. Some snow is hard to move and you can't just bulldoze ahead. You might also try altering the pattern which you take to avoid blowing the same snow twice. Try not to pile it up so that you have double the amount a few passes later.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 12-29-2015 at 10:48 AM.
post #4 of 20 Old 12-29-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
If it isn't the shear pins pray it is the belt. If it isn't the belt either then there is probably something broken in the gearbox. Is the impeller turning? If the impeller is turning then the augers should also be turning.
Skutflut, thanks for the swift response. I got some of the ice from the auger housing and still the auger does not spin. Let me check to see if the belt is loose. what issue should I have with the auger belt? I hope this is the issue Hw about the auger pulley and spring?
post #5 of 20 Old 12-29-2015, 05:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Skutflut, thanks for the swift response. I got some of the ice from the auger housing and still the auger does not spin. Let me check to see if the belt is loose. what issue should I have with the auger belt? I hope this is the issue Hw about the auger pulley and spring?
If the belt is old, it may have become stretched and loose, or it may have broken completely while the clutch was engaged while the auger was jammed with ice. That could break the belt or shearbolts. You said the shearbolts are not broken.

If the belt is stretched and very loose, water from the slush could have soaked everything and let it slide on the pulley instead of gripping. It could also be a problem with the idler arm that applies pressure to the back side of the auger belt when you push down on the handle. There is not all that much stuff involved in getting power from the engine to the auger, so check first things first until you find the one that is not doing it's job.

Shryp asked if you have checked to see if the impeller is spinning when you engage the auger clutch. Did you check that? If the impeller is rotating, and the augers are not, then your gear case is probably damaged and will need to be stripped down and probably parts replaced.

Work fascinates me.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-29-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
If the belt is old, it may have become stretched and loose, or it may have broken completely while the clutch was engaged while the auger was jammed with ice. That could break the belt or shearbolts. You said the shearbolts are not broken.

If the belt is stretched and very loose, water from the slush could have soaked everything and let it slide on the pulley instead of gripping. It could also be a problem with the idler arm that applies pressure to the back side of the auger belt when you push down on the handle. There is not all that much stuff involved in getting power from the engine to the auger, so check first things first until you find the one that is not doing it's job.

Shryp asked if you have checked to see if the impeller is spinning when you engage the auger clutch. Did you check that? If the impeller is rotating, and the augers are not, then your gear case is probably damaged and will need to be stripped down and probably parts replaced.
The auger belt is loose so I am assuming that it is the culprit. The auger belt which is not listed in the manual is part number 754-0450. What else should I check?

Is this belt available from any small engine stores locally?

Thanks again for your continued support and assistance.

Last edited by Technobuff; 12-29-2015 at 10:50 PM.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-30-2015, 01:31 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Safety warning... body parts need to be kept away from belts pulleys augers and impellers! It's times like this when accidents happen. Blockages and stopped augers are a recipe for disaster. If things start moving with body parts in the way people can and do lose fingers. An auger that is not turning one moment can suddenly start turning the next.

Having said that...

When you say the belt is loose, do you mean it is loose when the auger lever is pushed or when it is not pushed? That's an important distinction. When the auger lever is NOT pushed, the belt may indeed look loose...that can be normal. However, when the auger lever IS pushed, the idler pulley should squeeze into the belt and tighten things up as it tries to make things turn.

Ideally, if your belts are exposed, that test should be done with the engine OFF and the spark-plug boot removed (for safety reasons).
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes nwcove liked this post
post #8 of 20 Old 12-30-2015, 09:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
The auger belt is loose so I am assuming that it is the culprit. The auger belt which is not listed in the manual is part number 754-0450. What else should I check?

Is this belt available from any small engine stores locally?

Thanks again for your continued support and assistance.
You did not reply to the question about whether or not the impeller is spinning even though the auger is not. That will be an important part of the diagnosis.

I imagine that is a city the size of Chicago, you will be able to find a belt. You can try Sears parts direct, or Repairclinic.com or any of the other small engine web sites to find either the part number you have or a cross reference. Do not just buy any belt that seems to be the right size, construction is also important.

Also, pay attention to what Stuart80112 said in his post about safety and keeping you hands and clothing out of the blower, and making sure that the spark plug cap is removed, before getting into any disassembly

Work fascinates me.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-30-2015, 10:39 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
Remember to perform the check that Skutflut has asked a couple of times to help diagnose if the auger gear box is damaged ... "is the impeller spinning even though the auger is not?"

On the separate (but related) topic of the belts and pulleys.. these videos will give you a good understanding of what to look for. Your idler pulley may or may not be adjustable (depending on the specifics of your model)... if it isn't adjustable... then an adjustment can often be made to the idler cable itself up near the handle to tighten things up.

But at the this point you are just diagnosing and not tweaking anything.
Keep us posted on the results.

DISCONNECT THE SPARK PLUG FIRST!!

Belt diagnosis (replace only if necessary):

Belt adjustment (only if necessary):

Last edited by unknown1; 12-30-2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: UNPLUG
post #10 of 20 Old 12-31-2015, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you guys for the swift responses.

After taking the spark plug cap off and the key from the snowblower, I tried spinning the impeller and it spins as well as the auger. Does this mean my gearcase is good.

After I push the auger lever, the auger belt tightens up but it is not as tight as the drive belt. Be advised that that I see a silver color possibly steel threads are appearing on the middle of the auger belt. I bought a new one to replace it.

The auger pulley does not appear to have a plate where the auger pulley bolt could slide back and forth to tighten and apply pressure though.

Do you think that after I install the new auger belt, the auger belt will be tighter once I push the auger lever?

Last edited by Technobuff; 12-31-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page