post #1 of 34 Old 12-31-2015, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 0
Regular or Premium gasoline?

Hello,

Yesterday I purchased a CRAFTSMANŽ/MD 24" Dual Stage 305cc B&S EZ-Steer Snow Blower at Sears. When making the purchase, the sale associate told me (stressing it about 3 times in our conversation) to use premium gas and not regular gas. She said regular gas "would muck up the engine".

I'm just a bit confused. We have used Craftsman snow blowers in my family for the last 12-13 years with great luck and no issues, and have always used regular gasoline. The manual just states "Regular gasoline".

Anyone here have any insight or recommendations on this?

This is the model I purchased:

CRAFTSMANŽ/MD 24" Dual Stage 305cc B&S EZ-Steer Snow Blower | Sears Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 12-31-2015, 09:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 24
Regular is fine.. In general the concern is ethanol in the gas which make it absorb moisture much faster which will foul carbs etc. The shelf life is only about 60-90 days. This gets people into trouble on small engines since they can sit for a lot of time with the gas in them.

Sometime premium is ethanol free in which case it would be better, but there is no guarantee that the premium is ethanol free.

In general if you use regular E10 (standard pump gas) then add fuel stabilizer to each can of gas you pick up. When I turn my blower off and I know it won't be used for a few weeks or more, I use the gas shutoff valve and let the carb run dry.

Other than that E10 is the world we live in now...

Ariens Platinum 30
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Guerzy thanked for this post
post #3 of 34 Old 12-31-2015, 09:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 31
Regular 87 octane (E10). Once a month I dump what's left in my 2.5 gallon gas can into my truck and refill the can with fresh gas.
Because I keep the gas fresh, I don't use stabilizer during the season while my equipment is in use. I only use it when storing the equipment.

2010 Ariens Deluxe 27 (921012)
250cc B&S (1150 ft lbs)
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Guerzy thanked for this post
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #4 of 34 Old 12-31-2015, 10:16 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 77
You can probably get ethanol-free gas near you.

Check this link:
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Word on the street from my research says..

The ethanol attracts water which breaks down into acid. That, combined with the tendency to turn gas into varnish over time, is the main reason to avoid ethanol-laced gas. Highest octane is preferred.. it stops engines running hot.

Many manufacturers explicitly warn against high ethanol content.

By the way, this is especially important on tiny engines such as leaf blowers.
post #5 of 34 Old 12-31-2015, 10:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 36
I think what the sales person was trying to caution you about is ethanol added fuels (but didn't state her case correctly). If you can generally stay away from them and have access to ethanol free gas, it would be a good idea to consider using it. I think most manufacturers are recommending using regular.

You might find reviewing a recent thread of fuels helpful:

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ally-crap.html

* Interesting note in the Sears link you provided under "Questions & answers":
"Please be advised that the CRAFTSMANŽ/MD 24" Dual Stage 305cc B&S EZ-Steer Snow Blower is manufactured by Husqvarna Canada, while its engine is manufactured by Briggs & Stratton."

I don't however find any Husky snowblower sold in CA currently listed with the 305cc engine your unit has. Sears must have speced that particular engine if Husky actually made the snowblower.

2003 Toro 826 LE Power Max
1978 Yardman Snowbird 31600-9 (5hp x 24")

* Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia !
post #6 of 34 Old 12-31-2015, 11:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1632
Likes (Received): 381
to add what the guys above already said here...frequently discussed topic and understandably so.

Ethanol is hygroscopic resulting in the attraction & absorption of water...

...consequently the water sinks to the bottom of the holding vessel since it's heavier than fuel...bottom = where the tank outlet is.

...it ends-up in the bottom of the carb float bowl...where the fuel enters the delivery ports.

(side-note: it's a death-blow to premix engines...like most 2-strokes...since they rely on the fuel for lubrication)

the salesman wasn't entirely wrong...octane rating does degrades over time...and you may have pre-ignition issues if it gets too low...assuming you can even get it to run with all of the water already in your gas

net: try to get ethanol-free fuel. if you have to get e10 fuel, 87 is fine as long as it's reasonably fresh (0-3months)...and use a stabilizer (3 good ones that immediately come to mind are marine-stabil, startron, sea-foam).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bad69cat liked this post
post #7 of 34 Old 12-31-2015, 11:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Hello,

I'm just a bit confused. We have used Craftsman snow blowers in my family for the last 12-13 years with great luck and no issues, and have always used regular gasoline. The manual just states "Regular gasoline".

You can use regular as long as its not over 10% ethanol. If you do, don't buy too much at once, and use a stabilizer designed for ethanol (STP has one) and don't keep it around for too long. I keep the tank full to limit condensataion and run the carb dry when shutting off the machine so there is no gas left in the carb, but that's just me. I had to add the fuel shutoff valve to my Craftsman. Mine has a B&S 305cc engine as well, 2008 vintage, and its run fine on regular 10% ethanol since new.

You can get ethernol free gas at Shell, their V+ nitrogen premium blend fuel. That avoids the possible problems with ethanol and water contamination.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #8 of 34 Old 12-31-2015, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3831
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
to the forum Guerzy

Regular gas without alcohol, mid W/O, Premium W/O in that order, and if none of those are available, regular with.

I recommend adding a little Marine Stabil to the gas can but it depends on how long you hang on to it and if you remember to use it when you store stuff. The more equipmemt you have the more likely you are to forget something.

Like loco diablo mentioned I also dump my older gas into my vehicle especially the 2 cycle. The regular gas I seem to go through easily but with the 2 cycle I only mix a gallon at a time and I still seem to need to dump it a couple times a year.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #9 of 34 Old 01-14-2016, 05:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
here are the link for Co-op gas here in Canada about ethanol content between regular and premium gas.

http://crs.coopconnection.ca/files/P...s-GASOLINE.pdf

regular are good plus good maintenance of mach

premium are much better but pricey plus good maintenance too.
post #10 of 34 Old 01-14-2016, 06:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Hello,

Yesterday I purchased a CRAFTSMANŽ/MD 24" Dual Stage 305cc B&S EZ-Steer Snow Blower at Sears. When making the purchase, the sale associate told me (stressing it about 3 times in our conversation) to use premium gas and not regular gas. She said regular gas "would muck up the engine".

he's right. I noticed that the premium lasts longer and runs better in small engines, mainly cuz the alcohol and fuel don't separate and turn to slush and goo in the gas tank, lines, and carburetor, as badly as the regular does.
regular gas is really junk today.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page