LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman 5hp valve ground and lapped

Repair cost I have a Craftsman 5hp 24" model# 247.886640 snowblower that is currently spraying gas out of the exhaust pipe. I'm told it will cost $225.00 to have the valve ground and lapped.

Is that a reasonable price in your opinion? I have no frame of reference.

Are there any direct replacement engines for this older machine, such as those sold at Harborfreight.com?

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
to the forum cle47

The Predator at Harbor Freight is close but only another Tecumseh will direct fit.
There are a number of articles under "Re-Powering" that can explain what all you might need to do. It's pretty easy.

The cost to repair sounds about right but choosing to repair IMHO isn't a good idea. I'd go with the predator or just buy another blower and sell yours as a parts or repairable machine.

I'm unclear how it's shooting gas out the exhaust ??
When you're trying to start it, when it's running ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks cle47 thanked for this post
Likes cle47 liked this post
post #3 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 01:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by cle47 View Post
Repair cost I have a Craftsman 5hp 24" model# 247.886640 snowblower that is currently spraying gas out of the exhaust pipe. I'm told it will cost $225.00 to have the valve ground and lapped.

Is that a reasonable price in your opinion? I have no frame of reference.

Are there any direct replacement engines for this older machine, such as those sold at Harborfreight.com?

Any help is appreciated.
The cost of parts (head gasket, breather gasket, intake gasket) and consumables (lapping compound, rags) is < $10.

Almost all of the $$$ is labor. You have to remove the head, carb, muffler & breather. If nothing is seized/broken then I think it can be done by a pro in 1-2hrs.

To do it yourself, you'd need to spend a few bucks on tools (lapping tool...< $10, torque wrench 20-$200 depending on brand, feeler gauge, basic hand tools).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks cle47 thanked for this post
Likes cle47, Grunt liked this post
post #4 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 02:09 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
It's likely a 2 shaft engine (cam shaft pulley runs the drive in opposite direction of the auger drive/engine shaft) and can't easily be swapped to a predator single shaft. Hopefully I haven't offended anyone.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Grunt thanked for this post
post #5 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Kiss4afrog, thanks for the reply. I'm inclined to agree with the cost to repair vs new engine/machine. I'll first lookup Re-powering and see what it yields. As for the gas spray, the engine fires right up and what it's suppose to do until you try biting into the snow...it sputters and dies...but while running a gas mist comes out of the exhaust. I've been using a smaller Toro, which is a real work horse, Thank God. But when CT gets hit hard it would be nice to have something with more power, besides I'm getting a bit to old to work too hard moving snow.

Classiccat the videos were were eye opening. "If" that''s all it needs I'm willing to try it. Thanks for the help you guys, I'll do some reading and such. Will let you know how it plays out.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
can you remove the belt cover and take a picture?
post #7 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
43128, it's currently in being assessed, which is where I got the $225 figure from. What in particular did you want to zero in on? Craftsman 5.0 Horse Power 24" Two-Stage Wheel Drive...
post #8 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 05:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
I agree with re-powering if you can find an engine to swap it with that fits nicely and isn't expensive. If you can take the belt cover off and take a picture of the pullies it could help us help you a little. I'm not a big fan of doing major work to a small engine that has already seen its best years. $200 is a lot to dump into an old engine with the hope that it holds together.

The next cheaper option would be to find a cheap ($50 or so) used snowblower that would accept the predator 212cc engine ($99 with coupon) from HF. I re-powered my Ariens this way. With winter upon us, it might be hard to find a used snowblower on the cheap. $150 total and a hours worth of work assuming you have tools to do it with. The upside is that you will have a new engine.

If $800 or more is to much at once to pay for a new snowblower, get a loan from your bank and pay $40 or so a month until it's paid off. The upside is that you get a new machine and your fingers stay clean. The downside is that it's gonna hurt in the summer making that payment.

With regards to machine work, yes $200 sounds about right.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 05:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
It's likely a 2 shaft engine (cam shaft pulley runs the drive in opposite direction of the auger drive/engine shaft) and can't easily be swapped to a predator single shaft. Hopefully I haven't offended anyone.
"Drive/engine shaft" Do you mean the Crankshaft? Just to clarify of course. Hopefully, I have not offended you.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-07-2016, 05:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by cle47 View Post
Classiccat the videos were were eye opening. "If" that''s all it needs I'm willing to try it. Thanks for the help you guys, I'll do some reading and such. Will let you know how it plays out.
It's a pretty basic procedure; we've talked a few guys through it here on SBF. if you have a set of feeler gauge, at a minimum...go in there and measure your valve lash. You'll quickly see that these things are pretty darn simple.

service manual link.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

Last edited by classiccat; 01-07-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page