LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-16-2013, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Canít get the auger pulley off

I have an old craftsman snow blower, has to be over 20 years old. The engine runs great, starts first pull when cold. The auger gear went so I tried to take it apart to fix. Took the front end off and it looks like the next step is to get the pulley off. The pulley has a key and a bolt that goes to a flat spot on the shaft. Got them both off and the pulley rotates on the shaft freely and moves a bit back and forth along the shaft as well. But it wonít come off. Looks like it should but wonít. In desperation I tried a gear puller, slide hammer and even tried to grind a taper on the very end that gets exposed when the pulley is slid the other direction on the shaft as far as it will go (about 1/8Ē). All this has done is wreck the pulley so now I have to replace that too, if I can get it off. Is there a trick I am missing? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-16-2013, 07:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
Sometimes there is a second set screw, but then it probably would not rotate.

Bad news but only good part is since the pulley is bad now anyway, cut it in half.

Most times at some point the pulley was loose and it wore grooves in itself and the shaft so they are stuck now. Someone tightened it up before it exploded.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-16-2013, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by td5771 View Post
Most times at some point the pulley was loose and it wore grooves in itself and the shaft so they are stuck now. Someone tightened it up before it exploded.
That's a great theory, one I didn't think of. Thanks. I am the third owner so who knows what happened before? I suppose the bolt could have come lose and the key got expelled at some point.

I was considering taking a saw to the shaft and replacing all three parts. last year when this all happened the shaft was only about $15. I probably trashed the bearing too....so about $100 in parts plus shipping, may be worth it.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-17-2013, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
Can you post the model number of it so we can take a look at it in a parts diagram

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-06-2014, 01:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
You'll need a torch, large hammer, large pry bar and some water.

A few years ago I had the same problem. I heated and beated the pulley for about an hour or two before I was able to remove it. I even broke a 5 lb wooden hammer handle in the process!
Try heating it up and shocking it with water. (while prying on it) This seems to help.

Be prepared to replace the pulley. Mine was to badly bent up when I was done with it! I replaced it with a slightly smaller one from the local farm store. I had to play the guessing game for a new belt too.

Cheers and good luck!!
post #6 of 6 Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravydude View Post
You'll need a torch, large hammer, large pry bar and some water.

A few years ago I had the same problem. I heated and beated the pulley for about an hour or two before I was able to remove it. I even broke a 5 lb wooden hammer handle in the process!
Try heating it up and shocking it with water. (while prying on it) This seems to help.

Be prepared to replace the pulley. Mine was to badly bent up when I was done with it! I replaced it with a slightly smaller one from the local farm store. I had to play the guessing game for a new belt too.

Cheers and good luck!!
I tried heating it up and shocking the shaft with canned nitrogen too. I eventually cut off the impeller shaft to get it apart so I would have to replace that too. the impeller is rusted to the shaft and the augers are rusted to their shaft. I had the entire thing soaking in a bucket of used transmission fluid and acetone for a week and they are still so fused I broke the impeller trying to get it off. its done. I am in the market for a 24" to 26" blower with a blown engine, I have an engine.

BTW the Model No. is 536.886150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page