LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-24-2016, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Plastic to metal chute

I have two craftsman snowblowers, the 9hp ones with yes, plastic chutes. As you can see from my member name, not a fan of plastic chutes. They were designed to break so, you guessed it you would be beholden to the Sears parts department for replacements. I am on a mission to replace my chute assembly from a real snowblower, document my success and share it for the rest of the world to see so we can emancipate ourselves from f-tard engineers that build crappy products. Has anyone taken an assembly from say an ariens and put it on a craftsman? If so, which part numbers did you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-24-2016, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Welcome to SBF. Sorry to hear about your troubles with plastic chutes, but glad to have you join us, and hope you'll find some helpful information here and then post up what you do to alleviate your plastic chute woes.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-24-2016, 07:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 267
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 903
I don't know about your blower but my Ariens sno tek has a plastic chute, myToro 521 has a plastic chute. I had an MTD blower that I put through the wringer for 17 or 18 years on a gravel driveway and never a problem. Toro has a lifetime warranty on their plastic chutes. JMHO but plastics have really come a very long way.
Have the chutes on your blowers broken or do you just dislike them?
Pictures would be helpful as well.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Flexin, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #4 of 7 Old 01-24-2016, 08:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 98
Thanks (Received): 153
Likes (Given): 298
Likes (Received): 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticchutehater View Post
I have two craftsman snowblowers, the 9hp ones with yes, plastic chutes. As you can see from my member name, not a fan of plastic chutes. They were designed to break so, you guessed it you would be beholden to the Sears parts department for replacements. I am on a mission to replace my chute assembly from a real snowblower, document my success and share it for the rest of the world to see so we can emancipate ourselves from f-tard engineers that build crappy products. Has anyone taken an assembly from say an ariens and put it on a craftsman? If so, which part numbers did you use?
I agree. Plastic parts (and cables) are designed to Break to nickle and dime you. Your best course of action is to find an Old School Machine, and Upgrade it.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-24-2016, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
I agree. Plastic parts (and cables) are designed to Break to nickle and dime you. Your best course of action is to find an Old School Machine, and Upgrade it.

That's a bit harsh. Toro offers a lifetime on it's plastic chutes and I've got a Troy (MTD) that's out past the burbs doing 400' of gravel plus a large turnaround area and I've had zero problems with the plastic chute.

That said I agree with you guys that plastic seems cheesy and some are worse than others, I'd rather have metal but plastic gets the job done reliably in most cases.

Very interested in OPs quest to re-fit with metal. Hopefully it will have photos.

(Sorry Micah, didn't see your post as I was consolidating the two threads into one.)

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-24-2016, 10:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 13
One quick question, did your chute break or do you just think that its going to break?

Ariens Deluxe 28
Honda HS720AS
Stihl BR600 Magnum
post #7 of 7 Old 01-24-2016, 11:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 98
Thanks (Received): 153
Likes (Given): 298
Likes (Received): 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
That's a bit harsh. Toro offers a lifetime on it's plastic chutes and I've got a Troy (MTD) that's out past the burbs doing 400' of gravel plus a large turnaround area and I've had zero problems with the plastic chute.

That said I agree with you guys that plastic seems cheesy and some are worse than others, I'd rather have metal but plastic gets the job done reliably in most cases.

Very interested in OPs quest to re-fit with metal. Hopefully it will have photos.

(Sorry Micah, didn't see your post as I was consolidating the two threads into one.)
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am not a Newbie, Or a "Casual" in Regards to Snowblowers, as I deal with them on a daily basis. My "Harsh" opinions about Plastic Parts and Cables are Based Entirely on My Experiences Dealing with Both. Makes me Sick when I have to Repair this Crap. Each to their Own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page