Old 01-31-2016, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
GWS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
bought a 536.882602

Just bought a old non running Craftsman 536.882602 blower. Once I got it home and messed with it a little I am wondering if it is worth putting much money in. It has a transmission instead of the disk drive. it wouldn't roll so I took the drive chain off of the axle. Now the axle will turn and I can turn the trans by hand. the chain was rusted stiff. took the cover off the motor and there is a lot of corrosion on everything.
Is there a manual available for this unit? Someone else has been working on it in the past and I know there are several parts missing from the drive actuator cable assembly brackets. Doing a search on sears there are a lot of parts that are NLA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2016, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
to the forum GWS

It would be helpful if you posted some photos of it's condition.

Check out post #5 he might be able to send you one next week. He's going to be busy for a week or two.
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ed-manual.html

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-31-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
GWS

Post Thanks / Like
tried sending pictures but that didn't work.{not a fan of windows 10} It is a 26 in opening and 14 in auger. I did find the number on the motor. 143.756162 which I think is a 7 hp motor. If everything else checks out I may look at repowering it. It looks like people are having good luck with a predator engine. what sizes are available?
Old 02-04-2016, 11:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS View Post
Just bought a old non running Craftsman 536.882602 blower. Once I got it home and messed with it a little I am wondering if it is worth putting much money in. It has a transmission instead of the disk drive. it wouldn't roll so I took the drive chain off of the axle. Now the axle will turn and I can turn the trans by hand. the chain was rusted stiff. took the cover off the motor and there is a lot of corrosion on everything.
Is there a manual available for this unit? Someone else has been working on it in the past and I know there are several parts missing from the drive actuator cable assembly brackets. Doing a search on sears there are a lot of parts that are NLA.
I may have a manual (or close to that should work for you) and don't get rid of that machine unless you want to end up with a less capable machine. That's a beast and will eat pretty much anything you throw at it (if it's a 7hp or bigger which I think it is). There's a thread out there on converting to roller bearings from the plastic bushings and some others I've put together to help out.

PM me an email address and post some pictures and I'll see what I have for manuals that are the closest to what you have.

Don't discount that Tecumseh (assuming it's not damaged) as I've brought several back from the brink of the trash heap including the 10 HP on Big Bertha (hybrid machine I built from a couple of them), it tears into snow and ice like a hungry teenager.

Here's a small sampling of the ones I've owned and/or repaired and sold:

Here's one that looked to be ready to be parted out before I got it (after doing a little tlc on it):

This is the reason your machine is stronger than virtually any friction disc setup IMO:

Paul

Last edited by HCBPH; 02-04-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Old 02-04-2016, 11:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 66
How do the Kids navigate their way back to the SwingSet ?
Likes 43128 liked this post
Old 02-04-2016, 11:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 278
I wouldn't worry about NLA parts - just pick up a few extra of those machines as they are still plentiful if you keep you eyes peeled......

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 288
Likes (Given): 2905
Likes (Received): 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont007 View Post
How do the Kids navigate their way back to the SwingSet ?
"Very Carefully".

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
GWS

Post Thanks / Like
Here are some pictures (I Hope)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0227.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	77729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0220.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	77737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0224.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	77745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0221.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	77753  
Old 02-05-2016, 10:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Couple of manuals are in the mail. Between the two of them, they should cover just about everything you might want to know about your machine.
Your PM you mentioned you were missing a couple of brackets. What's missing, there may be alternatives.

Know that any of the 536-xxxx Craftsman 7-10 HP units, all the parts will interchange or be usable other than the auger housing internals. Impeller shaft, impeller, auger gearcase, entire tractor unit, all that stuff interchanges. Even the motor will swap from one to the other. I'm talking about all the red and white or gray and black units are the same except for the color.

Biggest issue is the drive control cable and if you have plastic bushings on the auger and axel and both those have options. I've posted info on them in the past if you do a search on them.

Here's a thread on another forum that covered the rebuilding of that 10HP 3 stage the other year: http://restorationmen.lefora.com/top...d#.VrVZ_2bnblw
It goes over most everything you could run into, this machine was a real mess when I got it and a beast when I was done.

Last edited by HCBPH; 02-05-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Likes Grunt liked this post
Old 02-16-2016, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
GWS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the manuals. I decided to do a firepower. Used the $99.00 coupon at HF for a Predator motor. Picked up some pulleys and mounting bolts today. Have a pretty good idea on how I can run the chute adjuster rod. Then need to work on splitting the drive mechanism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in