post #1 of 37 Old 02-13-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman Drive Problems

Hey all,

I don't have the specific model number at the moment, but I'll have it hopefully tomorrow. So here's the deal. We had a big snowfall today and after 2 minutes of use, the drive stopped. I dragged it back to the shed and took the cover off and sure enough the belt came off. Put it back on, and immediately popped off again when I engaged the drive handle. I put it back on again and noticed that with the engine off and the drive handle pressed in, she jams up when you try to push it. I thought for sure I was able to push it before with the lever pressed down without the engine working but now I can't. It worked perfectly the last storm we had. Only difference was this time the belly pan came loose so I tipped it up to reinstall it. The chain was really rusty so I put a bit of grease on it. Other than that, never done anything else. Its approximately 7 years old. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-13-2016, 10:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
With the drive level pushed down you should not be able to roll the machine around

Off the cuff if you were able to just slip the drive belt on something is wrong. The drive belt does not engage and disengage like the auger belt. It is always under tension.

Sounds like the spring that pulls on the idler pulley to keep the drive belt tight maybe broken.
post #3 of 37 Old 02-13-2016, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3831
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
When you pull the handle it should engage the drive so with the engine off it would be like having a "Park" gear and the wheels won't turn.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 37 Old 02-13-2016, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
ok that's a big help knowing that. The drive belt is easy to put on. Wrapped it around the friction wheel, then I slipped it over the top pulley by moving the pulley that comes out of the engine. Very easy and no effort really. There is a lot of tension on that idler wheel that's off the engine. Springs back and forth pretty good. When the friction wheel engages, it seems that it goes in further than the top pulleys therefore the belt is not really straight down, but more so on a little angle. Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this. I'm trying to learn! Thanks so much
post #5 of 37 Old 02-14-2016, 12:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Your model number would help but if I read between the lines I would guess you have an old craftsman that has an enclosed transmission and no friction wheel.

If so that would explain why the belt comes off. When not engaged you have to much slack in the belt. Put the belt on and adjust it or replace the belt. I would say the belt needs to be replaced. Or your belt guides are broken off or moved.

On friction disc machines with no transmission the drive belt is under tension by the idler at all times. The idler never comes away from the belt.

Model number and pics would get things moving.
post #6 of 37 Old 02-14-2016, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok so here's the model number. 944.528396. I'll take some pics this morning when I go out
post #7 of 37 Old 02-14-2016, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here's a video of what happens to it

post #8 of 37 Old 02-14-2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
post #9 of 37 Old 02-14-2016, 03:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I have seen that style. Can't remember where. The problem is on that style when it is disengaged the belts should not line up the bottom pulley needs to be offset to the front. Then as you engage the drive it lines the belts up perfectly and when the drive is fully engaged the bottom pulley is offset a touch to the rear. Yours is kind up to start and when you engage it get to be to far off.

I will poke around to see if I can remember which machine it was. Are you sure about the first three numbers of your model number?
post #10 of 37 Old 02-14-2016, 03:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
^^Exactly right! I think either your engine bolts are loose and it has moved, or the pulley has moved forward on the shaft to much? It should be at an off angle to start with then go in-line when you pull the cable tight. make sure the pulley shaft bolt is tight, then look at the alignment of the belts in relation to the pulleys. You might have to loosen and move the engine around to get it right...... also might need a new belt if it's been over stretched/heated to much

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page