LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 02-19-2016, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Drive slipping?

I have an older Craftsman II 8/25 model 536.886800 in my garage this week. While going through all the controls, I noticed there wasn't much power to the wheels. I can engage the drive wheels, hold it back, and the usually the tires can turn, breaking traction even on bare pavement. Most other machines the tires will spin even on bare pavement if you hold the machine back with the drive engaged. I checked the friction disk. It had a bit of glazing so I held some sandpaper to the rubber and spun the wheels to get down to fresh rubber again. There was still plenty of rubber left on the disk. Then I took some steel wool to the friction plate and got that all shiny again. No oil or grease on the disk. The drive belt is tight and in decent shape. Idler pulley is keeping good tension on the belt. Is this common for some machines to not have the same amount of power to the ground as others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-19-2016, 10:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 267
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 903
Check your belts and drive disc.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 37 Old 02-19-2016, 10:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Take a look at the driven gear (#57) and how it meshes with the axle gear......
MOTOR MOUNT ASSEMBLY REPAIR PARTS Diagram & Parts List for Model 536886800 Craftsman-Parts All-Products-Parts | SearsPartsDirect

Does it look in good shape? If so, then look at the bearings on the shaft ends of the driven gear and see if they are shot......

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 37 Old 02-19-2016, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Bearings are surprisingly good. The gears mesh well with nothing abnormal underneath. Everything actually turns rather smoothly. I did have to work on the speed selector mechanism to make it work freely, but that's working like a champ now. With the engine off and drive clutch engaged, the tires will not turn and there is no slippage. I'm starting to question the drive belt as its next most likely culprit.
post #5 of 37 Old 01-23-2017, 11:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 0
I'm having the exact same issue with an older Craftsman; did you ever find a resolution?
post #6 of 37 Old 01-25-2017, 09:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis328 View Post
I'm having the exact same issue with an older Craftsman; did you ever find a resolution?

Different model but similar issue. Check the obvious: belts for glazing and dimensions, tension, pulley build-up, friction wheel and disc. Now also check both bushings on the friction disc shaft. Seem them wear and the disc will move when drive is engaged and loses power to the wheels.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Curtis328 thanked for this post
Likes Curtis328 liked this post
post #7 of 37 Old 01-28-2017, 01:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
Different model but similar issue. Check the obvious: belts for glazing and dimensions, tension, pulley build-up, friction wheel and disc. Now also check both bushings on the friction disc shaft. Seem them wear and the disc will move when drive is engaged and loses power to the wheels.
Thanks for your excellent input!

- Installed brand new drive belt (properly-sized) one week ago

- Belt has adequate tension, and does not slip when the wheels stop moving

- Drive engagement cable is adjusted as tight as possible

- Installed brand new friction wheel one week ago

- Friction disc has been cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, and does not have excessive play in its bearing

- Replaced both friction wheel shaft bushings today, as the one on the left (driver's) side was badly worn. Shaft is nice and tight now.

- Need to figure out a (safe) way to lock the axle shaft from rotating, with the machine on jack stands, to see exactly where the power is being lost
post #8 of 37 Old 01-28-2017, 01:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
When you say "pulley build-up", are you referring to worn belt material bonded to the groove in the pulley?
post #9 of 37 Old 01-28-2017, 02:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 33
Likes (Received): 158
Garage
I would remove the bottom belly pan, move the machine to the edge of a building or a fence post that will not move when forced upon, carefully Engage The Drive lever with engine running at low rpms and see where the power is being lost. From all the work that you've done so far... I'm guessing there's not enough tension on the friction wheel to the friction plate, or something else is worn on the friction wheel assembly allowing it to not have enough tension. Sometimes brand new friction discs have to be sanded or ground in the center because there is a high spot which allows slippage when it is engaged against the friction plate, even though it is brand new it still slips. Please let us know what you find.

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower
post #10 of 37 Old 01-28-2017, 08:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis328 View Post
When you say "pulley build-up", are you referring to worn belt material bonded to the groove in the pulley?

Yes. If the belt is not staying snug against the pulley and is slipping, belt material can be left on the inside of the pulley causing it to slip worse. Brake cleaner and a wire brush does well on removing that buildup, but be careful as brake cleaner can remove paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page