Help !! Where to find Driftbreaker Auger/Impeller Pulley - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 03-15-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Help !! Where to find Driftbreaker Auger/Impeller Pulley

I made a homemade puller to remove the auger pulley (part number 48388) for my 1984 craftsman driftbreaker 10 hp 32" (model number 536.882700). Well, I destroyed the pulley while trying to remove. I looked on Ebay and found one but the guy wants almost $60 for it. Are there different pulleys that will work under a different part number of brand that is cheaper ? Or does anyone know where to get this pulley at a reasonable price ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-15-2016, 11:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 10
which pulley you talking about exactly&& the one for the belt? or the chain pulley for the 3rd stage up top?? im assuming the belt pulley correct?

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
2015 Columbia 420cc 28in 3xHD
post #3 of 31 Old 03-15-2016, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
The large belt pulley that mounts to the gearbox shaft. This pulley drives the auger/impeller. The pulley is right in front of the main auger bearing
post #4 of 31 Old 03-16-2016, 06:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Larry

I think I have a couple in the parts pile. One is 'fair' to say the best on it. It was rusted through in a couple of spots. The other one is from a 5 hp but I think it's the same od as the bigger frame units. I had to drill a couple of 3/4" holes in it to put a bearing puller on it because it was rusted on the impeller shaft solid. Because this is a slow speed pulley I don't think it would be an issue. It's not pretty but it should work out.

I'm willing to do a 'pay it forward' here, either is yours for the cost of packaging and shipping (assuming I can find them). Get the diameter off the damaged one and P.M. me your email address and I can send you a couple of pictures so you can see what they look like. If you want one of them, get me your address and pay the shipping and it's yours. May be a week or 2 before I can ship it, but hopefully that won't be a problem.

I found I'd taken a picture of the one that was pitted so bad, I'm attaching it so you can see what that one looks like.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulley_Pitted2.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	84673  
post #5 of 31 Old 03-16-2016, 07:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 10
for the belt pulley.. could one of the same OD off a random machine be used as well?? i mean if the keyhole and shaft size work out... the OD works out.. if your old one is trust worthy for meassurments to compare might be worth to bring it to your local shop(s) and go from there

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
2015 Columbia 420cc 28in 3xHD
post #6 of 31 Old 03-16-2016, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Paul. Thanks so much for your help. I'll send you the dimensions. I really appreciate it.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-16-2016, 10:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 278
Hope that works out - $60 is ridiculous even for a new one!

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #8 of 31 Old 03-16-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes. That's a possibility. I'm sure its a standard pulley. There is no way I'm paying a guy $60 bucks for a used pulley. I'm going to get the measurements tonight and see if Paul has one that he is willing to sell. Larry
post #9 of 31 Old 03-16-2016, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Impeller/Auger Pulley

Hi Paul, I tried to send you a private message to you but it wouldn't let me because it says I need at least 15 posts before I can PM. I'm getting back to you about my impeller/auger sheath pulley (part #48388) that I mangled while trying to remove. You said that you may have one available. I don't have it off yet because its being stubborn, but I was able to get some very accurate measurements.

The overall diameter is 8-3/8" Diameter.

The impeller shaft diameter is 3/4" so I am assuming the pulley ID bore is 3/4" as well.

The bore stem sticking out is 1" long.

The "V" groove at the widest at the top is 1/2" wide.

The "V" groove depth is 9/16" deep (measured vertically straight down not at the angle).

Does this make sense? The guy that's selling pulley #48388 on fleabay says that the bore is 5/8" diameter however my bore diameter is 3/4". Is he right or am I measuring wrong. Do you have the right pulley that I can buy from you. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just so you can get a chuckle, I've attached a picture of the mangled pulley that I still haven't gotten off. My quest in life right now is to remove this pulley not matter what. Take no prisoners !! This pulley MUST DIE !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0999.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	84745  
post #10 of 31 Old 03-17-2016, 11:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
Email sent

Beg, buy or borrow one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/bearing...set-93980.html
You can borrow them from Autozone among other places and though won't be used a lot I've gotten enough use to justify buying one.

Last edited by HCBPH; 03-17-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page