Craftsman 536.887990 29"/9HP - Replace Impeller Pins with Bolt/Nut? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-10-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Eb3

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question Craftsman 536.887990 29"/9HP - Replace Impeller Pins with Bolt/Nut?

Greetings all,

UPDATE/NOTE: Further research indicates the pins I'm talking about for the impeller are rolled steel and apparently are not meant to shear. I'd love confirmation of that from someone here if at all possible. If' that is indeed the case, then I shouldn't have an issue replacing the roll pins with bolts/nuts. Of course I'm looking for confirmation on that as well as anyone who may have gone this route or knows any reason to red-flag the idea. Thank you!

Original Post:
Last season my Craftsman lasted 1/2 a pass on my driveway of the first storm before I suffered a double failure and put it away for the season, I was that frustrated with it. First, my impeller pins went so I had to replace those (boy, is THAT a story and a half) but I'm left wondering if I can replace the 1/4 x 1-1/4 pins (p/n STD572512) with a nut and bolt assembly instead. This latter configuration would be SO much easier to replace if they go rather than having to drive old broken pins out and new pins in during the cold and snowy weather. I don't have a heated workspace so doing repairs can be a real bear.

My second failure was just diagnosed yesterday when I finally got over my disgust of the unit and found my auger belt jumped off the pulley. I got a new belt today just in case and look forward to getting that part squared away, at least.

So my questions are these: Has anyone employed a switch in fastener on the impeller from roll pin to bolt/nut and, if so, do these need to be shear strength?

Thanks, in advance, for any input or feedback you have.

Thanks,

- Ed.

Last edited by Eb3; 10-10-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-10-2016, 04:58 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 353
Likes (Received): 582
Garage
the rollpins failed on my old ariens last winter due to corrosion, and i was tempted to replace them with bolts. but after thinking about it , decided it was a bad idea. those pins are a designed failure point to protect other much more expensive parts of the machine. ( a box of a couple hundred assorted pins cost about 10 bucks ). it is a bit of a pita to replace them, but it is a somewhat rare failure.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-10-2016, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Eb3

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the note back. I thought it might be a point of failure to save the gears but then I thought and read if they're rolled steel, how much of a failure point do they provide? More research/feedback needed.

Thanks again.

- Ed.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-12-2016, 09:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 319
If you're talking about the pins that attach the impeller to the shaft, you can use small bolts temporarily. They are not shear pins like on the auger rakes. You can get a box of them cheap at HF, that's what I did. If you have bolts, the nuts could come off or something snag on them and wrap around the shaft.

A centering punch is a good way to drive out the old ones, done that many times.

Last edited by HCBPH; 10-12-2016 at 09:02 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-13-2016, 07:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 20
If you think about it, there really isn't a lot of torque at the impeller. I think snapping those rolled pins is a freak occurance. I believe they are just there to make manufacture a little easier. There are plenty of Craftsman, Jacobsen, Simplicity, and John Deere machines that have the impeller welded to the shaft. It's just more expensive.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-13-2016, 07:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
i agree, not much torque at the impeller.....until that frozen newspaper, stick or perfectly wrong sized rock gets fed in the machine, imho, its at that point when i'd prefer a roll pin to fail rather than the impeller tip speed going from xxxx fps to zero in a fraction of a second.

28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-13-2016, 08:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, if they actually fail. I've seen dozens and dozens of impellers that were bent to ****. Never seen any broken pins...
post #8 of 11 Old 10-13-2016, 08:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
and that is an inherent problem with rust, not design . the pins could be non existant and the impeller might as well be arc welded to the shaft due to rust.

28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss

post #9 of 11 Old 10-14-2016, 10:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
As I said earlier, just as many impellers come factory welded to the shaft as come pinned. And as you pointed out, if you don't periodically grease your impeller bore, it might as well be welded anyway. All that being said, I will say that Honda does have a design with an actual shear pin on the impeller that is identical to the ones on the augers.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-17-2016, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Eb3

Post Thanks / Like
Quick update - I went to replace both pins yesterday using a "trick" I saw somewhere on the internet where you bore a hole in the cowling which will allow you to drive the pins out using a long punch. I found one pin was missing completely and the other is rusted to ****. I had zero luck getting the old one out and a new one in the open hole because the impeller wasn't aligned enough to get the pin engaged in the shaft; it was off by just enough to prove it impossible without taking the whole front end off and apart to do it the right way.

Without an actual service manual, I won't try it because my history with this kind of thing proves again and again that I always have parts left over when I reassemble. I'm not afraid to do the work, but I want to do it right and don't want to screw it up. I think it may be time to take this to a professional and just have the whole thing tuned up/adjusted from top to bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page