LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-23-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
536 need manual and engine id

Hello. I found and old craftsman 536.882602 blower that I am going to get back into shape. The major issues are bent impeller blades and it runs a little rough.
I was also curious if anyone could decode the date and hp rating of the motor.
143 756162 ser5316D
I think this could be a good machine if I can quiet some of the rattles. The chute rattles enough that I would guess osha would require double ear protection to operate it. I will upload some pics so I can post them, since I we all love pics. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-23-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I guess I can't post pics yet, sorry.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-25-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Heck, I could really just use some info on belt tensioner adjustment....
post #4 of 9 Old 10-26-2016, 04:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 327
IIRC that's a Murray designed and built blower sold through Sears. It's actually a pretty solid unit. I assume it's black and gray, making it mid to late 70's most likely.

One thing to watch is the shoulder bolts on the gearcase, keep them tight or pay the price. There's a number of simple mods and changes that can be done to them. Overall a very rugged unit.

On the impeller, pull off the auger housing and pull it out (the ends unbolt) and you can straighten the impeller vanes fairly easily using a torch, vice and pair of large channellocs. There are other ways, but I like using the torch, helps prevent cracks when straightening impeller vanes.

Another good one if you have the plastic bushings on the auger and axel, check out the thread I made on converting it to roller bearings.

Hope that helps.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-26-2016, 06:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Garage
If it helps my motor is stamped a smiliar code over the motor 143-766162. The motor tag on mine reads sbh-351a (tecumseh motor) the tag is on the crankcase housing next to the bottom of the dipstick. (red and white driftbreaker not sure of my model number)
post #6 of 9 Old 10-27-2016, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
IIRC that's a Murray designed and built blower sold through Sears. It's actually a pretty solid unit. I assume it's black and gray, making it mid to late 70's most likely.

One thing to watch is the shoulder bolts on the gearcase, keep them tight or pay the price. There's a number of simple mods and changes that can be done to them. Overall a very rugged unit.

On the impeller, pull off the auger housing and pull it out (the ends unbolt) and you can straighten the impeller vanes fairly easily using a torch, vice and pair of large channellocs. There are other ways, but I like using the torch, helps prevent cracks when straightening impeller vanes.

Another good one if you have the plastic bushings on the auger and axel, check out the thread I made on converting it to roller bearings.

Hope that helps.
Do you have any secrets for removing the auger pully? It looks like there is a bearing there and I'd rather not melt it by heating the pully. Also, do you have a source for gearbox seals?
post #7 of 9 Old 10-28-2016, 09:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflyfyter View Post
Do you have any secrets for removing the auger pully? It looks like there is a bearing there and I'd rather not melt it by heating the pully. Also, do you have a source for gearbox seals?

Most times if you just pull the set screws, soak the heck out of the area between the shaft and pulley and with a bit of careful tapping with a short drift they'll come off. In a 'really stuck' case, do the same then get a bearing puller setup. You will need to drill 2 holes through the hub of the pulley to take the extensions (could be 3/4" or more depending on the puller - I have a HF unit). Clamp the puller portion between the pulley and the bearing, screw in the extensions and add the top portion to it. I like to use an impact wrench on it, the hammering helps break the pulley loose though you may want to give the screw a rap with a hammer early on to help break it loose.

PS having the 2 holes won't make a big difference. The pulley is a low speed unit so it won't go out of balance (at least never had that issue so far on the ones I've had to do it on).

Last edited by HCBPH; 10-28-2016 at 09:58 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-29-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Unfortunately, I think I will have to reassemble this thing and sell it. I had no idea that I would have to machine the gearboxes to replace the seals, and I am thinking that it really isn't worth the time. I will have to do some more research and find a better unit that is worth the effort. Thanks for the help.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-03-2016, 07:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflyfyter View Post
Unfortunately, I think I will have to reassemble this thing and sell it. I had no idea that I would have to machine the gearboxes to replace the seals, and I am thinking that it really isn't worth the time. I will have to do some more research and find a better unit that is worth the effort. Thanks for the help.

I've gone through quite a few of these units and never had to tear a gearbox down. They are sealed units and typically non-serviceable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page