LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-13-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Goodbye, Ariens; hello, Cub Cadet!

So after my old Ariens died on me Jan 1 while clearing my property after a huge snowfall (happy new year!) I decided to begin shopping for a new blower. Seeing how there are very few options for motors up here in Canada i decided i had enough of fixing this old beast (8hp 30" 1978) so i went out and bought a new cc 3x30hd from a local dealer.

I decided to move away from Ariens due to their autosteer feature. My property has a ton of uneven and hilly portions that i need to plow (to avoid springtime floods) that i was worried about having to fight the new Ariens on every slope. So after researching for about a week solid i decided to go with a 2x30HD but when i went to the dealer he said they arent available any more because the HDs were moving away from the 2x and only going with the 3x.

Being like many and seeing the 3rd stage as a bit of a gimmick i was a bit worried about having that as my only option. He said the toros and columbias and cc with the 3x havent had many issues at alk since they came out a few years ago. He said the only real issue was if the rear pin broke, the rear auger would act as a blocker in front of the impeller.

He said he has tried a bunch of the 3x's and said they worked great. He also directed me to one of his staff who owns a 3x28hd and the guy loved it (and he was clearly not a salesman and seemed extremely genuine).

Anywho, the price for the 30hd was only 100 bucks more than what lowes wanted for their standard 30 and with the 0% fincancing for 3 years i decided to go for it.

3 year warranty on everything and 5 year on the gear box.

After using it on both fluffy deep snow and heavy **** with ice and shallow areas i can say that this thing is the real deal.

My old Ariens chewed up deep soft stuff like nothing but struggled with the wet slush. But it never lost traction due to it weighing so frickin much.

The new cc3x30hd out throws the old ariens in the deep fluffy stuff and is amazing inwet heavy slushy stuff. However, because it is so much lighter, it would spin its tires now and again when i hit ruts. I threw on some chains and it improved the traction considerably. Still can get it stuck but very seldom and i have some really crappy angles to navigate.

It is also WAY more quiet then my old ariens. Clearly technology has advanced since that old tecumseh engine. The powermore 420cc barely revs up once to hit the deep wet heavy stuff. 6 gear has you running for your life lol

Also to address a few things.

Yes, the bucket and shoot of the 3xhd does cast a shadow in front, but the light is bright enough that you can still clearly see what is in your way. I see no excuse to drive in to any foreign objects because the shadow is only slightly darker than the surrounding area.

Also, reverse is fast enough!! I have heard complaints about how slow it is going in reverse. Yes, r1 is slow but it has to be to get enough torque to get you out of a rut without just spinning your tires. And r2 is fast enough to let you SAFELY walk backwards without slipping and falling. I dont understand why people complain so much about these 2 issues as if they were deal breakers.

All in all; i realize i have only used my new machine just over 4 hours but it has been amazing. Eating wet plow banks, and big drifts, as well as slush and ice chunks, it has been very impressive so far.

I will make sure to keep updates coming as the hours of use climb.
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Grunt, detdrbuzzard, Hanky thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-14-2017, 09:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Garage
I'd like to hear about your long term impressions and experiences with the CC 3X. It seems like a lot of folks who have no experience with them have some pretty strong opinions. And I like the Ariens1978 name so don't re-register as CC3x30HD2017 or anything like that.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-14-2017, 09:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 14
Garage
There has been alot of good chatter about that front auger really working well. I don`t think it`s a gimmick at all. I have not tried one yet but sure would like to.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-15-2017, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I'd like to hear about your long term impressions and experiences with the CC 3X. It seems like a lot of folks who have no experience with them have some pretty strong opinions. And I like the Ariens1978 name so don't re-register as CC3x30HD2017 or anything like that.
For sure i'll keep coming back with updates. I look forward to being the first owner of something for the first time in my life lol (cars,boats,lawn tractor,snowblower etc.)

Last edited by Ariens1978; 01-15-2017 at 08:16 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-15-2017, 09:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Good to hear that your new Cub is serving you well. Sounds like a powerful machine, best of luck with it.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 Old 01-20-2017, 07:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 23
Thumbs up "Remember I'm pulling for ya, we're all in this together!

Sounds great!
post #7 of 12 Old 01-20-2017, 09:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 19
The 3X is definitely the way to go based on the promo videos, Nice Buy! The design intrigued me, before buying what I, did as it lends a design feature from commercial city snowblowers with the "induction accelerator". Another key feature, that you mentioned, is the addition of the new PowerMore engines which have excellent reliability. I just couldn't get past the $1600-$1800CDN price tag.

YAMAHA YS624 |
|
post #8 of 12 Old 02-11-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So a few more runs with the new blower and this thing is still impressing me with what it can do.

We had more freezing rain this past week and then down to -13 the same night. I fired up the CC the next day and it chewed right through the layer of ice like it was some kind of road resurfacing machine!

The only problem was that it was launching the snow and ice so far over it was landing in my neighbours yard. Not a problem in itself but he has a motion detection light that ratted me out!!! Luckily, he must not have been looking out the window. But i made sure to adjust my shoot after that lol

Oh and still no sheer pins broken!
post #9 of 12 Old 02-11-2017, 08:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
Looks like soon we won't be posting about these old blowers with T engines. It will be Powermore and 3D!
post #10 of 12 Old 12-23-2017, 01:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Op, any update for this winter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page