LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Your feedback, please

Hello, I have a 2001 Cub Cadet 3240 50th Anniversary Edition. I bought it new in 01, and it has been an excellent tractor. When I bought it, I chose this machine because I knew that, some day, I would want to buy the snow thrower attachment. Well, 11 years later and I'm finally ready to buy that snow thrower for my Cub.

But, at this point, I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense. Here are the pros and cons, as I see them. I would appreciate receiving some feedback from those of you who are familiar with this equipment.

Pros
* Everyone tells me this thrower will handle anything Mother Nature sends to Pennsylvania. I have a driveway and two-car parking area of 3,100 square feet. Along the edge of this area, I have a 75' stretch that gets tightly plowed in by township snow plows. Again, I've been told this cub blower on my tractor will have this job done in short order.

Cons
* It's expensive. To buy the blower, hitch, hydraulic line hardware, tire chains, load the tires and install all this gear, the cost is about $2,600. And, yes, my dealer has all of this brand new gear in stock for my 3240, even though Cub stopped making 3000 series tractors and their attachments two years ago. But here's the thing, I could buy the best walk-behind snow thrower on the market and not spend this much. *Plus, wouldn't I be spending all this money on antiquated technology? My tractor is great, but it is 11 years old. Does it make sense to spend $2,600 on a blower system that was designed years ago for a tractor that is now outdated, as well?

* Do I need this much power and equipment? As noted above, I've been told this blower-tractor combination will easily handle my property. But, I also had someone tell me it's overkill; I could easily do this job with one of the new Cub Cadet walk-behind snow blowers.

**Size and storage. I won't be able to move this tractor blower around in my garage by myself. It requires two people. So, it's inconvenient compared to a walk behind. And during Spring, Summer and Fall, it will take up premium space in my garage--way more than a walk behind.

* Switching out the mower deck for the blower, tire chains, etc. is a big job. I don't see myself having the time to deal with this job every fall, so that means I will have to pay my dealer to do the change over each fall. With a walk-behind snow thrower, I wouldn't have to deal with this.

So, I've always wanted a snow thrower for my Cub Cadet tractor. Now I can do it, but I'm questioning whether it's practical.*

What do you think? Any experience with the thrower-tractor combination I'm talking about? Any experience with the new Cub Cadet walk-behind snow throwers?*

Thanks for any thoughts/perspectives you can share.

Last edited by 50th Anniversary Cub; 09-10-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-11-2012, 04:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I have never used a tractor snowblower, so I can't comment much on that other than to say 11 years old does seem kind of old. Any chance you could find the blower used on craigslist for a lot cheaper?

New Cub Cadet walk behind snowblowers are built by MTD. I would stay away from them and look at Ariens, Toro, Simplicity, Honda or Yamaha.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-11-2012, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the the thoughts. Yes, I've read some questionable reviews regarding the Cub walk behinds. But, the dealer I mentioned above has treated me so well over the years. Their service is excellent, and they are fair, reasonable and honest.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 270
Likes (Given): 372
Likes (Received): 912
Seems to me as though you answered your own question. There are all negatives in your commentary and only one positive which was immediately rebutted with a negative. I have had both tractor (J.D. 332 Diesel...Hack of a tractor!!) and several walk behind snow blowers. I had a driveway that was about 100 yds long and the 332 did a wonderful job. But in my turn around area the walk behind was so much faster and maneuverable.
Your area that you describe, in my case I would go for the tractor mounted blower but I'm 60 yrs. old too. But, as Shryp suggested I sure as heck would try to find a used one on cl or ebay.
Joe
post #5 of 15 Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, Joe. Appreciate your thoughts.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-11-2012, 02:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
Tractor vs walk behind

So if you bought a blower for the tractor, would it work on another machine if that one gave-up-the-ghost? Just how big a blower is the one you're considering? How much time would it take to switch over from one to the other? I didn't mention storage space because I assume whether a tractor mount or walk behind, it will take up comparable storage space.
Now if you have some reason you don't want to walk, that's fine.
I bought a number of used blowers, including a couple of 10 hp 32" 3 stages. Figuring your area is something like 30'x100', that's about 3 passes to plow the whole thing using one of those bigger ones. If using a 24", that's 7.5 passes.
I have alot less than that tractor blower in all 7 of the blowers I have on hand right now, and the only main thing I have left is to find an electric starter for one and some cleanup on another. My numbers include refurbishing/rebuilding all of them.

Last edited by HCBPH; 09-11-2012 at 02:52 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
HCBPH, Thanks for sharing your thinking. No, if my current tractor died, I think my options for continuing to use this blower on another tractor would be very limited. Cub doesn't build 3000 series tractors any longer, and this blower is built specifically for this tractor.

The blower is 45 inches.

My dealer says the seasonal changeover of removing the mower deck, connecting the blower and installing the tire chains would take an hour or so for a professional to complete. It would probably take me about two hours and would require an extra set of hands.

No, I have no specific reason for not wanting to walk. I just have a heavy duty tractor that I've never really used to its full potential, and I've always intended to use it, sme day, to move snow.

And, yes, financially, I think it's clear that I can purchase a pretty impressive walk behind for less money than this tractor-based blower.

Thanks to you and the others for sharing thoughtful input.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
to me it would be simple. it is a little extra maintenance to take care off an additional engine set up, especially if (you seem to not have the time) you use the dealer for services, but you can buy a very substantial blower for $1300. and if you take care of it and dont abuse it, a blower (commercial series at least) should last decades. and if it does not you could spend another 1300 on another brand new unit.

blower attachment + maintenance and paying to switch every year at dealer, 2600 plus yearly fees

---------or-----------

1300 for a new machine + maintenance at dealer

then years down the road if it becomes a pile of junk..

1300 for a new machine + maintenance at dealer
post #9 of 15 Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Another good perspective. Thanks. Appreciate it. The general consensus here and from others elsewhere is that I should not spend $2,600 on this. Either look for a used blower for the tractor or buy a good walk behind for far less.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-06-2013, 08:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I would try to source a front blade for the tractor and use the rest of the money on a good walk behind, you need to really match the blower to the tractor like most have stated here and then you may still have space limitations that might warrant a walk behind anyway. I have a JD 317 completely modded and lifted with a 400 series power angle blade to assist my blowers when it gets deep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page