LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-10-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Convert a 3x snowblower to 2x?

Purchased a 26" 3x Cub Cadet snow blower last winter. I do NOT like the 3x arrangement of auger disks -- constantly breaking shear pins on the center disks. I was much happier with the tried and true 2x format with my old MTD 5hp Storm Series -- tried and true for 11 years and now wish I hadn't replaced it. The 3x machine itself is very solid and has a lot of power. I'd really like to replace the auger axles and gear box and replace with two stage parts. Any thoughts on whether this is worth trying to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-10-2017, 09:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
I think you would probably be better off selling your current unit on CL and purchasing a 2 stage machine.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Toro-8-2-4 liked this post
post #3 of 10 Old 12-10-2017, 10:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 103
Likes (Given): 104
Likes (Received): 244
Would probably be cheaper to sell and buy another

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Toro-8-2-4 liked this post
post #4 of 10 Old 12-10-2017, 11:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Actually...

Looks like it's possible, might have to make a spacer or two, looks like you could easily take off the front piece (#11), the other #11 is a little more fiddly but easy enough. But really, why not sell it or trade it in on a 2X?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cub cadet 3X.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	117594  

Last edited by stromr; 12-10-2017 at 11:13 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-11-2017, 06:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 8
Greetings from Tarrytown. I'm wondering if you have the crappy shear pins I've read about on the site? Have you tried ordering new ones? We had about 3" of wet snow yesterday and my brand new last year's model 3x 30 HD laughed at it. I purposely went after the plow Shi* pile in front of my house. I live where 2 streets intersect in an L and the pile was about 14" high and 20'+ long. No problems with any aspect, and I hit it from the end that allowed me to grab a full chute wide and go the entire 20' length. Thoughts?

Last edited by alylea; 12-11-2017 at 02:17 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-14-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the info!
post #7 of 10 Old 12-19-2017, 10:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
I would try different pins. I hear some are easier to break than others. Might be worth a shot before looking at the expense of replacing augers. I think it would be easier to sell and get a different blower than buy parts and convert.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-01-2018, 12:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alylea View Post
Greetings from Tarrytown. I'm wondering if you have the crappy shear pins I've read about on the site? Have you tried ordering new ones? We had about 3" of wet snow yesterday and my brand new last year's model 3x 30 HD laughed at it. I purposely went after the plow Shi* pile in front of my house. I live where 2 streets intersect in an L and the pile was about 14" high and 20'+ long. No problems with any aspect, and I hit it from the end that allowed me to grab a full chute wide and go the entire 20' length. Thoughts?
What shear pins have you had the best luck with? After reading all the "horror stories" of how the 3X units eat accelerator shear pins I've now noticed that users are saying that all pins are not equal - seems like some aftermarket pins only break when they should. Comments?? Thanks!
post #9 of 10 Old 01-01-2018, 02:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 5
What are the conditions like?

The impeller tunnel extends into auger housing so it's more than swapping the auger assembly.

In my experience they break when they're supposed to break. I broke pins from ingesting newspapers and branches. Im on 6 most of the time.

I would try new pins before giving up on the machine.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-03-2018, 09:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp0416 View Post
What shear pins have you had the best luck with? After reading all the "horror stories" of how the 3X units eat accelerator shear pins I've now noticed that users are saying that all pins are not equal - seems like some aftermarket pins only break when they should. Comments?? Thanks!
My machine is new so I'm using the OEM's that came with the machine. Have you tried calling CC and discussing this with a Tech? My experience is that 3 out of 4 were very good to excellent. One was a dud and belonged back in shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in