Cub Cadet 3x - any other satisfied owners? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Cub Cadet 3x - any other satisfied owners?

I came here after buying a Cub Cadet 3x last month to learn a bit and it's a great forum, thanks! (although there's not a lot of love around here for MTD)

The CC 3x replaces a 10 yr old YardMan that worked great and continues to work great. I just needed more power to muscle through the snow piles that the county trucks leave behind.

So far the CC 3x works like I had hoped. I read all the reviews before buying it and it seemed to be good.

I just saw the video comparison with the Ariens and I'm not sure what they were doing, but the one with the belt noise is a little troubling because there was another post here about that type of problem. My unit doesn't seem to have that issue.

I thought I'd post a new thread for the CC 3x to encourage other owners to post. The only change that I made to the unit was to add some adjustable wheels to the front because I have both gravel driveways and sidewalks that I need to clear. I did the same on the Yardman and it worked well.

I promise to post if I have problems too.

thanks for the great forum.

Last edited by J_ph; 01-21-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 12:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Used mine once so far and am happy with it. It was priced right. I would love to see your added wheels.
post #3 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
wheel photo - from the image on the left you can see how the adjustment works. It's an old Arnold part for lawn mower decks. I was able to use the existing hole that was drilled into the auger housing and just 2 drill holes into the skid shoes. One hole is used for a pin to hold the wheel mount from rotating.

If I was digging through massive drifts, I would guess that the wheels might make it a little harder to push through. But given the option of spitting out gravel or not... I'll go with the wheels.

Quote:
It was priced right.
Mine was $1099 for the 3x-26, similar?

Last edited by J_ph; 01-21-2014 at 01:40 PM.
post #4 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 01:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_ph View Post
wheel photo - from the image on the left you can see how the adjustment works. It's an old Arnold part for lawn mower decks. I was able to use the existing hole that was drilled into the auger housing and just 2 drill holes into the skid shoes. One hole is used for a pin to hold the wheel mount from rotating.

If I was digging through massive drifts, I would guess that the wheels might make it a little harder to push through. But given the option of spitting out gravel or not... I'll go with the wheels.

Mine was $1099 for the 3x-26, similar?

Nice work. Those look like they were made for that blower.
post #5 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 03:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1637
Likes (Received): 571
post away about your 3x, its good to know there are other snowblowers worthy of purchasing

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #6 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
post away about your 3x, its good to know there are other snowblowers worthy of purchasing
I haven't put it to task for enough snow to be too confident, but hopefully it will continue to be a good machine. I'll let you know if disappoints along the way. Buying new gear is always a bit of a gamble.

Quote:
Nice work. Those look like they were made for that blower.
I wish there was a better way than wheels, but I think the only other answer is either asphalt or moving further south.
post #7 of 75 Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 138
Thanks (Received): 268
Likes (Given): 365
Likes (Received): 905
You ought to patent that idea. That's pretty slickety.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #8 of 75 Old 01-22-2014, 12:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
$ 1099 too
post #9 of 75 Old 01-22-2014, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I was able to use it last night. My old thrower didn't have a light so I gave it a try... well, I don't particularly like the placement of the light. But, this seems to be a problem with most brands.

I think there's a modification in the future. I like the LED discussion:

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ed-lights.html

but it might be a little too involved for me at this point. So, I'll try an MTD halogen lamp kit first. Since I don't have hand warmers installed I think it should have enough electricity remaining to power it. If not, I'll have to go with the LED option.
post #10 of 75 Old 01-22-2014, 07:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_ph View Post
I came here after buying a Cub Cadet 3x last month to learn a bit and it's a great forum, thanks! (although there's not a lot of love around here for MTD)

The CC 3x replaces a 10 yr old YardMan that worked great and continues to work great. I just needed more power to muscle through the snow piles that the county trucks leave behind.

So far the CC 3x works like I had hoped. I read all the reviews before buying it and it seemed to be good.

I just saw the video comparison with the Ariens and I'm not sure what they were doing, but the one with the belt noise is a little troubling because there was another post here about that type of problem. My unit doesn't seem to have that issue.

I thought I'd post a new thread for the CC 3x to encourage other owners to post. The only change that I made to the unit was to add some adjustable wheels to the front because I have both gravel driveways and sidewalks that I need to clear. I did the same on the Yardman and it worked well.

I promise to post if I have problems too.

thanks for the great forum.
I happen to own a 1996 MTD 5/22 and I haven't had any problems with it other than the Tecumseh 5hp. I repowered mine and it works great now and out throws my neighbors 8hp 2 stage. The MTD built Cub Cadet 3x also recieved great reviews on snow blowers direct too as well and it is ranked among the highest of all machines used since it will be able to go through really deep snow with it's forward 3rd stage that feeds the impeller second stage supplemented by augers 1st stage. I don't hate on MTD like many on this forum do and I feel the top of the line MTD built machines are very nice such as the MTD Gold and the top of the line Craftsman 8+hp 2 stage blowers made by MTD. However the bottom of the line MTD machines are not very well made so I would avoid them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page