post #1 of 28 Old 01-07-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
Just Bought a New 2x 28" HP Cub Cadet

What do I need to know? Anything? Do these have a pretty good rep or?

I was wondering a few things:

-How many HP do these 277cc engines have. The salesman said "about 10" but I feel like it's probably more like 5-8?

-Where does MTD (who I was told is subcontracted to make these for cub cadet) make them? USA? Mexico? China?

Thanks in advance! I previously had a snapper 5/22, but the recent cold snap killed it so I went out and grabbed this after a little research to match my Cub Cadet Zero turn lawn tractor

"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?" -J. B. Priestley

My Garage: Snapper 5/22 (dead,) 2017 Cub Cadet 2x 28"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-07-2018, 09:35 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
its about an 8.5hp. imo all mtd stuff is junk i would have gone with an ariens or toro powermax
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks RickDangerous thanked for this post
post #3 of 28 Old 01-07-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
its about an 8.5hp. imo all mtd stuff is junk i would have gone with an ariens or toro powermax
I checked out the MTD site...It seems like the actual MTD models are more entry level than some of the companies they make them for...interesting.

Anyone know where they are manufactured?

"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?" -J. B. Priestley

post #4 of 28 Old 01-07-2018, 09:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Received): 250
MTD has a factory in the Cleveland, OH area. But, they probably import a lot of stuff from China. I think all snow blower engines are now made in China except for maybe certain Hondas that are actually made in NC.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #5 of 28 Old 01-07-2018, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 330
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 744
Its not correct that MTD is "subcontracted to make these for cub cadet". MTD owns the Cub Cadet brand outright, and has since 1981. Cub Cadet is wholly owned by MTD, its one of many brands in the MTD family.

Its also not correct that Cub Cadet snowbowers are "junk". Not literally. They can be fine if well cared for. From a quality standpoint, they are not as good as Honda, Ariens or Toro however, and MTD's will likely have a shorter life and break down more often, but they can be fine. They are the Hyundai of snowblowers. you didnt necessarily make a terrible mistake, but if you had asked here before buying it, everyone would have said dont buy it, get an Ariens or Toro instead..simply because, you can do better...but thousands of people have MTD's, and they get the job done, just with stastistically lower reliability and lower quality overall. But they still work.

Cub Cadet snowblower body made in the USA, engine made in China.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks jonnied12, RickDangerous, orangputeh thanked for this post
Likes classiccat, Hanky liked this post
post #6 of 28 Old 01-08-2018, 08:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 157
Likes (Received): 38
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
43128 Get off your high horse.

Troy-Bilt Storm Tracker 2890
post #7 of 28 Old 01-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 330
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnied12 View Post
43128 Get off your high horse.
yeah, I considered deleting that post, since it was quite rude to a new forum member..
but he did actually use IMO, (In My Opinion) which is good, and something im always harping about! (I dont like it when people state opinions as facts, without saying IMO)
and.. its an opinion which is common here, and justified..although the word "junk" is a bit extreme, IMO.
So it wasnt what he said that was bad, it was just the way he said it..So I left it.

Scot

post #8 of 28 Old 01-08-2018, 08:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
I've got a 2007 Cub Cadet 524 SWE that was used and abused for 8 years before I bought it for $100. After much TLC and surprisingly few new parts it has been very reliable. Only parts I have replaced are the impellor bearing, drive plate spring, and carburetor gaskets. I did replace the original Torch brand sparkplug and the nuts and bolts the previous owner used as shear pins. The quality of the powder coat paint is not good, has peeled off in many places. The wheels had rusted solid to the axles because they never lubed them at assembly. The cables are original, never replaced while my neighbor's TroyBilt, virtually the same machine, 3 years newer, has had the cables replaced. As sscotsman has said the quality and reliability is statistically lower with any MTD product. The Chinese engine, a Powermore, isn't really! Although it did run better once I adjusted the valves and rejetted it. The bottom line is used or new any of these MTD products are dependent on your willingness and ability to perform maintenance. Grease and oil are your friend!
post #9 of 28 Old 01-08-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
No offense taken! I'm going to do the driveway tonight and will take some pics

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes sscotsman, classiccat, jonnied12, kneedeep liked this post
post #10 of 28 Old 01-08-2018, 07:57 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
i personally love the engines, i think every honda clone is great and i haven't found one i didnt like. my issue is with the quality of the chassis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in