LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-27-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Wheel weights

Just bought a cub cadet 2x 528swe and was wondering if anyone knows a location to get wheel weights or can I just fill the tires with fluid for traction and ballast. Also is there such thing as s conversion from plastic to metal shoot? Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-27-2019, 01:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 49
Wheel weights? Tire fluid for traction and ballast? Never heard of such but we never know it all. Tire chains and auger housing weight are typical remedies for wanting their snow moving machine to stick a little better. What's wrong with the plastic chute? Used one for over twenty yrs. Worked fine and is none the worse for wear.

Wounded 30-inch Mastercraft (MTD) circa 96
17 ST330P Husky
post #3 of 5 Old 02-27-2019, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I know that it probably seems weird putting fluid in the tires but in all the review videos I have watched it seems as though they loose traction or the front rides up. I have done a little digging and yes the added weight on the front would probably help the "riding up", however my tractors have ballast weight in the rear for traction that's why I had asked the question I know it may seem "off" or "dumb" but I figure it could be worth a try. The steel shoot portion would only be concerning the operation of the blower in Sub zero temps and throwing ice/ debris through the shoot at them temps. Maybe it really will hold up to it and I'm just over thinking? Again any help is appreciated.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-27-2019, 08:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 271
Likes (Given): 355
Likes (Received): 621
I don't think it's a dumb question, I've thought about trying it.

On my blower, I need access to the left hub for the differential lock/unlock control. So attaching a weight to the outside of the wheels, using the bolt holes, seems less practical.

But I could still add fluid. Or possibly attach weights on the inward-facing side of the wheels/hubs, perhaps. Or add weight to the frame over the wheels, though this adds stress to the axles and bearings.

Adding weight on my bucket seemed to indirectly help with traction a bit. When going up our driveway's incline, I no longer had to pull up on the handles, to keep the bucket down. Which meant that I was no longer lifting weight off the rear wheels, so they had a little more grip.

I've seen suggestions to use inner tubes when adding fluid, to reduce corrosion of the rims. But it sounds like these small tires are a real pain to remove, so it's probably a lot easier to just add fluid to the tires as-is, and use something that's not too corrosive.

I had an MTD with a plastic chute, it was almost 20 years old when I sold it, the chute was fine. I wouldn't worry about that.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 02-27-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-27-2019, 10:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 110
At the request of a few customers needing weight at the tires for traction because of terrain topography, we added a small fender type platform over the tires, each were a little different because each machine was different as in needing access to various options.

With these easy to make platforms, ( some made of wood) the placement of sand bags , and even discarded gym lifting weights ( note customers did not want to buy steel for weight), could be added as needed , or removed as not. They did work nicely and we never encountered any bushing or bearing problems to the axle assembly, however you do need to make sure that you do your regular grease maintenance and oil coat where needed.
The other must is to make sure you maintain the correct adjustment on the drive components , cables and friction disc, as slightly out of adjustment can wear the friction disc more than usual with the added traction grip, especially with chains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in