LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-01-2020, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Cub Cadet 3x28 suddenly weak.

Gentlemen, I am having a very frustrating morning. My CC 3x28 is on only its third winter here in northern Maine. It worked fine the first two winters- as advertised and like one sees in the YouTube videos touting this machine. Suddenly, this winter, it is so weak: it will not clear more than 3" of snow and even then throws the snow just a couple of feet. Also, it drives slower than I know it should. The shoot clogs up every two minutes- and that is when the machine is working 'well'. /// Before coming to bother you guys here, I have checked the machine to the best of my ability. I am not a mechanic, but I have taken her apart and checked whatever I could. The shear pins are fine. The belts are fine- taut when engaging. The cables are fine, too- slightly loose when not engaged and taut when engaged. I put a new friction disc on her and that has changed nothing. Everything appears to be in perfect order. No strange noises. The only other hint of something out of whack is the fact that when I first start her up she will not drive- as if the wheels are locked up. I push her forward and back, move the gear shift lever up and down several times and eventually, she starts to slowly move and a few minutes later moves better- though not perfect. But she moves at a decent speed in first gear and somewhat quicker in second, so I am not complaining about this aspect. But she will not throw snow if it is more than an inch or so. I do not know how I ended up in this situation with a machine that worked so nicely that first winter. I am out of ideas.

Last edited by Alden Banniettis; 01-01-2020 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-01-2020, 01:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 566
Likes (Received): 265
Do you feel the engine is running at full RPM's.? Could be that something has happened to the engine. Maybe over the summer a nest was built and you are not aware of the nesty Mcnesterson.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #3 of 9 Old 01-01-2020, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Zavie, the engine seems to have its like-new power. It starts up quick and easy as it did when new. The drive and auger belts appear perfectly fine. That is the frustrating part- the auger works fine until it hits snow and suddenly goes sluggish and clogs; the drive is ok but only after giving me grief when starting out. (The drive suddenly starts to work after some minutes of me pushing the machine forward and backwards.) I was sure that the belts are worn or not adjusted but I have a new auger belt on her and the drive belt is perfectly fine. I checked it over slowly and carefully. Thanks, Zavia.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-01-2020, 01:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 566
Likes (Received): 265
As you engage the auger and start to blow snow if it seems weak pull on the auger cable and see if that helps. If it does then adjust the tension. Pretty simple system involved, just pulleys, belts and cables so it's got to be one or the other. That's about all I've got without being there in person.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Likes Dag Johnsen liked this post
post #5 of 9 Old 01-01-2020, 05:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 146
Thanks (Received): 325
Likes (Given): 431
Likes (Received): 781
Alan, welcome to the forum!

If you had a video of the machine in "action", as it were, that could help. If you have a helper, getting a video of the augers and the front 3X "screw", while driving it into snow, could help show whether everything is spinning as-quickly as expected under a load, or whether something is slowing down.

Setting aside engine power, I think the real question is engine RPM, and whether it's spinning as fast as it should be. Though if it's only throwing a few feet, then the RPM would have to be much-lower than normal.

I like Zavie's suggestion of yanking on the cable in question, to see if extra tension on the belt helps with performance. I'd try that for both the drive, and the augers. Have it driving, then give the drive cable a tug. Have it driving and blowing, and tug on the augers cable.

On the Cub 3X systems, I've heard there are shear pins near the back (towards the impeller), I believe they keep the 3X "screw" locked to the impeller shaft, though I may have that wrong. But I've heard reference to additional shear pins on 3X machines, which can fail, and are a pain to replace. Did you check those ones, or just the typical augers shear pins?

If the engine RPM is OK, the belts are OK, and the cables are OK, then that's kind of a mystery.

Possibilities that come to mind:
- The belts are slipping, for some reason. Despite being reasonably tensioned. Maybe getting wet, or oily, or something.
- The pulley sheave on the engine is slipping on the crankshaft, somehow, preventing all of your output belts from getting the proper power.
- The big pulley on the impeller shaft is slipping on the impeller shaft for some reason.
- The impeller itself is not properly locked to the impeller shaft. There might be a bolt going through the impeller & shaft, or maybe a shear pin. If the impeller is slipping or slowing down, that will definitely reduce your throwing distance.

These all seem somewhat unlikely. And only #2 would have anything to do with your drive-performance problem. But at some point, when you've eliminated the impossible, whatever is left is your problem.

Removing the top belt cover and watching the belts during operation may be worthwhile. That would more-easily help show if something is slipping while driving, or blowing snow.

If the drive problem persists, I'd tip the machine on its nose and remove the bottom cover again, and watch what's going on when you move things by-hand. Did you clean the metal friction disk while you were in there? If any oil, etc, has gotten onto it, that will definitely cause problems. I'll use rubbing alcohol (IPA) to clean the rubber wheel. Brake cleaner works well on the metal friction disk, but I think you want to avoid getting that on the rubber wheel. You can also use something like a scouring pad to help clean residual rubber off the metal friction disk.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie, barney liked this post
post #6 of 9 Old 01-01-2020, 07:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 31
Likes (Received): 39
@Alden Banniettis

If you look at the diagram below, each location number 7 is a shear pin. Looks like there are four of them on this machine. Have you checked the trickier middle locations for broken ones?

post #7 of 9 Old 01-01-2020, 11:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
I had a old MTD that took water in the drive system and rusted the bearing and seized it. I would need to remove the axle and sprockets lube everything good and reassemble. As for your throwing problem it sounds like a worn out or slipping belt. Remove the belt cover and watch it work.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-31-2020, 02:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 260
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 91
Likes (Received): 62
Shame guys don't follow up with the cause/fix.

2017 Toro PowerMax 826OE
Likes oneboltshort liked this post
post #9 of 9 Old 01-31-2020, 04:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 183
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 338
Likes (Received): 236
Sounds like the auger belt is not tight enough when engaged. I have seen that a lot on the Cub Cadets. It does not have enough tension on it. The sides of the belt wear quickly and they wont grip properly.
Once they start slipping, they wear quickly. It may look like it is tight enough, but it may not be. You want to check it with a belt tension gauge tool.
If you make it too tight, you will damage bearings somewhere, but it wont slip as much then, so be careful what you do with tightening the tension on it.
And on the steerable models, I have seen problems with the steering clutch assembly jamming up, the little planetary gears jamming with debris or hardened grease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page