LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Cub cadet 945swe drive problems

Last year i bought a new Cub Cadet 945SWE. i lost my first one to a garage fire and i loved that beast. This new machine has about 10 hours on it. Problem started with the machine, when it was in first gear it would slip into reverse. Now the gear select lever would not move but it would slip from forward to reverse. Then it started doing it in second gear. Now the machine will hardly go forward or reverse. I tore into it tonight after a lengthy discussion with Cub Cadet technical services, who by the way offered no suggestions. Well i find all the chains, 3 of them to be in my opinion very loose with about 3/4 inch of deflection as well as sprocket teeth showing wear. The rubber friction disc is totally gone. Hardly any rubber left on it. The aluminum drive disc is really scared up from the metal on the friction disc hitting it. So my real question is three fold. First what would cause the chain sprockets to be our of alignment, since i can see no adjustments for alignment? Second what would cause the chains to stretch to what seems to me to be excessive? Last should the aluminum drive disc be rough or smooth and last but most important how do you go about replacing the aluminum drive disc? Is the drive disc pressed onto the shaft or does it screw on? Thank you for any help you can lend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 12:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 6
The disc should be smooth and clean. Sounds like the drive engage cable or rod was out of adjustment or the shift rod had popped out of the friction wheel assembly. I have done some repairs on a couple of these that were the double wheeled version. Weight/flex and axle bearings failing seem to be the biggest issue. The swing plate that the aluminum disc is mounted on may have walked out of one side of the housing.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi One Bolt Sort,

Thanks for the reply. Your help is appreciated. Today i made Cub Cadet send me a PDF shop repair manual. I am not sure what housing you are refering to. If you mean did the rubber friction disc come out of the shift selector lever, then no it was still intact. I am begining to believe that the friction disc was misaligned at the factory. I ordered both the aluminum drive plate and a new friction wheel assembly. Which by the way the rubber friction wheel only comes complete with the new bearing at a cost of $100.00. So when i get them i will make proper alignment and readjust the cable and see what happens. Thank you again for your help.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 01:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Should look similar inside to this, under drive system

https://www.partstree.com/models/945...-thrower-2015/
Housing is just the big yellow box the tires are hooked to
post #5 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes Sir that is the one. Ordered parts from partstree today. Two parts ordered. The rubber friction wheel and the aluminum drive wheel, that frankly once i get it our and try to polish it , it might live to work again?? Anyway two parts with shipping = $190.00. Thanks again.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-14-2020, 08:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Wow, that's expensive. $108 for the friction assembly? I thought the ones I worked on still had the typical $10 MTD rubber hoop sandwiched in the friction wheel assembly. I see they have a whole "bonded" wheel listed as NLA, I might look around for one of those if yours can come off. Maybe it is all one piece now. I see Ariens has gone to a one piece friction wheel assembly, but I think it's only about $30ish.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-17-2020, 06:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Received): 46
Isn't this all covered under warranty still if you purchased it last year ??
post #8 of 9 Old Today, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry for not replying sooner. I have been busy and out of town. So to respond to your comment BNSFguy. Yes it is supposed to have a three year warrantee, according to Cub Cadet. However since they consider the friction disc to be a wearable part it is not covered under warrantee. Second in order for the aluminum disc to be covered under warrantee, I have to take this 400 pound machine to thier closest service center which is 50 miles away. Also that service center is notorious for taking a huge amount of time, like 3 weeks to make a repair if you did not buy the machine from them. Well since they could not get this machine I bought it elsewhere. Therefore i bit the bullet and bought the parts. The only part they would have coverd was $60.00 and for me to drive it over there and pick it up would have cost me that much in fuel. So now it is fixed, i installed the parts that i bought. Readjusted the drive cable actually loosened it just to be safe. The one thing i am not sure about is where the friction disc should actually ride on the drive disc when in 6th gear. I did try the snow blower and it goes back and forth just fine. However until we get more snow i will not be able to really test it. By the way Cab Cadet technical support assured me that the aluminum friction wheel was right hand thread. WRONG WRONG WRONG. After 30 minutes i finally decided to try left hand thread removal. Had to use an air hammer with chisel but if finally came off. LEFT HAD THREAD. Stay tuned for more after i test it.
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 03:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 31
Likes (Received): 38
It is highly unusual for a friction wheel to last only 10 hours. A quick failure of the friction wheel is often caused by shifting gears without stopping. In case you weren't aware, to protect your new friction wheel bring the machine to a full stop, shift the gear, then start again. Regarding the position of the friction wheel in 6th gear, check your manual for the adjustment procedure for the shift linkage.

1986 Toro 524 (Predator 212 Hemi, Impeller Mod.)
1997 Toro 724
1997 Toro 824XL Power Throw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page