LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 02-21-2014, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 16
New 3x26HD just arrived and some action

Just got to try it out quickly on some wet deep snow to clean up my driveway near my truck......works very well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cubby 3X 26 HD.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	12434  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 02-21-2014, 02:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Nice... nice indeed.
How long does it take to wipe the smile off after you park it.

Ken
post #3 of 43 Old 02-22-2014, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Still smiling! Went up even further today to show the wife how well of an investment it is and cut thru the slushy hard wet 28" high area like butter!
This is where I started shoveling snow because the 19" was just getting to much to totally shovel the driveway. My blower did not make it in time for that but it cleaned that pile up and even opened the side of my driveway all the way up! this was easily 2 feet of packed snow from many storms and it just ate it up! The 257cc motor never bogged! I kept it in 1st for this heavy stuff though. Love the machine!

Jim
post #4 of 43 Old 09-01-2014, 09:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Does the 3X26HD have the steel chute? Are the controls the same as the regular 3X26's? I'm looking to upgrade my blower with either one of those. Or, one of the Ariens deluxe with the autoturn. The auto turn from what I'm reading still has bugs and might not be worth the trouble. But they are built to last, sturdy as ****. From what I'm reading the Cubcadet 3X's preform well but the controls leave something to be desired. people seem to think that they wont hold up in the long run. I'm a city boy who now lives in the hudson valley, about 30 miles north of NYC. So, I'm new to all the power equipment that comes with living up here and any input will be appreciated. thanks
post #5 of 43 Old 09-02-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
mine is the steel chute and it does not have the joystick! I like the turning mechanism on this one. The joystick did not excite me. It starts on one pull even after sitting for a few months! Check out the cool Youtube videos of it in action!

Jim

2014 Cub Cadet 3X 26" HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

video going thru 31.9" Storm Feb 2016
post #6 of 43 Old 09-03-2014, 01:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Jeez I never thought I'd be putting in so much time just choosing a snowblower! But, here I am on the fence leaning toward the Cubcadet 3X again, the other one I'm looking at is the Ariens deluxe 28. Thanks for the hands on advice guys, just a few more Q's. When you adjust the shoot, does it stay where you adjust it. Some people say it tends to turn to where it wants. How sturdy are the controls? Some think they wont hold up, they are flimsey. Finally when using the trigger controls for turning. Since my drive has a longish sweeping turn, will they do an arching turn or do they just want to do a 180* and go back the way you came? Also how tight a turn can you take? Thanks again. John
post #7 of 43 Old 09-03-2014, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Mine will stay where I point it using the hand crank. The trigger controls basically unlock the drive wheel depending on which one you pull....for instance, pulling the right trigger stops the right wheel from "driving" and the left wheel keeps going to make the turn. You can pull the trigger for a few seconds and let it slowly turn...not sure you can do a long arc other then that. I was not impressed with the Ariens turning system.....too many people are fighting the machine because any inconsistency in the drive (crack etc) caused it to want to turn. Hope this helps.....

Forgot to mention, I believe the Cub has a 5 year warranty......the gear case is aluminum and some don't like that......as long as it has a warranty I think it is fine. Besides aluminum dissipates heat faster.....if it heats up I guess? LOL

Jim

2014 Cub Cadet 3X 26" HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 43 Old 09-03-2014, 08:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Hey thanks Jim the input is great. I have my reservations about the Ariens auto turn too. My drive is almost smooth but has a few dips and bumps. I hate having to fight with my single stage, that is being put out to pasture, so I dont want to spend more money to fight a duel stage that weighs more than me. doesnt sound like fun. Thanks again John
post #9 of 43 Old 09-04-2014, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
you are welcome. love these forums.....so much info. almost bought the Ariens but decided against it.....local dealer sells both and the cub sells at about 3 to 1 over the Ariens or higher......good luck.

Jim

2014 Cub Cadet 3X 26" HD

post #10 of 43 Old 11-10-2014, 03:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 54
Likes (Received): 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims94vmx View Post
Mine will stay where I point it using the hand crank. The trigger controls basically unlock the drive wheel depending on which one you pull....for instance, pulling the right trigger stops the right wheel from "driving" and the left wheel keeps going to make the turn. You can pull the trigger for a few seconds and let it slowly turn...not sure you can do a long arc other then that. I was not impressed with the Ariens turning system.....too many people are fighting the machine because any inconsistency in the drive (crack etc) caused it to want to turn. Hope this helps.....

Forgot to mention, I believe the Cub has a 5 year warranty......the gear case is aluminum and some don't like that......as long as it has a warranty I think it is fine. Besides aluminum dissipates heat faster.....if it heats up I guess? LOL
If it makes you feel better, I think a cast iron case is ridiculous and doesn't really address any specific need. Planes all over the world fly and work with many and various stressed and loaded aluminum parts. Everyone got excited about cast iron because we think cooking on it is manly and Ariens (being the crafty and wise marketing types they are) decided that cast iron will make it stronger.

You could make the gear case out of plastic and still tear gears up. The point being that the materials used mean nothing, how they are designed means everything. Cast iron was a brilliant marketing coup for Ariens....they came up with it first, Cudos to them. But if anyone thinks the gear case is the week point in any quality machine, I assure you it's not. The gear on gear wear, metallurgical qualities of those stress/contact points is absolutely key.

The finest sports cars in the world run aluminium gear cases/diff cases. If you started pitching the performance world on cast iron, they would tell you to take your pig metal elsewhere

In short. The 3X gearbox will hold up wonderfully. I have a toro 1128. Same thing. Just works.

Enjoy the toy people. The 3X is an intriguing machine!

Cheers
Mags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page