post #1 of 21 Old 12-03-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
3x 30hd issues and drawbacks

Hi all,

I'm having issues and regrets with this 3x 30HD snowblower, I had it for a year now, and here are my questions and remarks.

1- My first gear slips, I have to put it in second and then back in first for it to work properly, and it only does that after a few minutes of work in the driveway any idea what to trouble might be ?

2- There is almost no difference with reverse 2nd gear and reverse 1st, is there anyway to fix this or adjust ?

Here are the drawbacks, compared to a crasftman I used to own before this one for the same price.

1- No hydrostatic drive
2- Tires slip more then the ones on a craftsman
3- Auger pins breaks so freaky frequently.... it can't be right
3- Engine is very loud, worse when "kickdown" gets in
4- Can't slow the first gear to balance work load/speed, specially true when wet heavy snow, this becomes a real pain.
5- The snow chute, at max angle, can't blow over a 10ft snow wall when near it.

Now, I'm not saying that I liked better my old craftsman, but I'm concerned that for price sake, there should be at least equivalent features... althought, the Cub Cadet is mechanicly better and "HP" power better, I find that in the long run, I got deceived, specially it's a darn cheap powermore engine. I tend to find that the 3-4 hours it took to clean, with less effort, the drive way with my Craftman was more comfortable then the 1 1/2-2 hours or brute work with this one. And am starting to worry about long term reliabilty, which in the case of my craftman, I had it for 6 years. I assumed the the cub cadet was of better quality..... was I wrong ?

By the way, I have a flat, paved driveway that can handle max 10 cars parked. In november till mid december, there's a 2 to 4 inch of wet heavy snow, during the rest of winter, regular 6" to 16" of snow falls. A snow storm may bring 36" of snow, but only 1 or 2 times in the winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
The bad new is you have a similar blower to the craftsman with a Cub Cadet label on it. Cub doesn't make their own blowers. Same with my Troy. Used to be a respected brand now it's just a red Craftsman in that Troys are built by the same company that builds a lot of the Craftsmans. Sorry
I know I was pretty disappointed with the quality of my Troy and it was free! I had always thought they made bulldozer quality machines due to their reputation with tillers. Well, I guess that was then and now they buy their blowers from someone who slaps TroyBilt on them.

It's always helpful if you post the exact model number so we can pull up parts diagrams if needed.

Do you have the manual for it or a PDF and have you gone through the adjustments for the transmission and belts ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-03-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ah... well, it all makes sense now ! I found that the model ressembled one sold at Canadian Tires !! Well.... no need to adjust anything, I'll trade it in for a Yamaha or Honda.... while it's still worth a little something ! Thanks for the info though.
post #4 of 21 Old 12-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
It's still a nice machine and it sounds like you do have a problem that should be easily correctable with a little maintenance or adjustment.
If you have the cash, a Yamaha is a really nice machine for the $$ but the Cub will toss snow well if properly set up. The thing about the newer stuff is it's just sturdy enough to get the job done and most of us here love the older stuff that was heavy, overbuilt and if you ran your car into it there's a chance the car would get the worst of it. In general I think that's how most look at the present Honda, Yamaha and Ariens blowers (maybe Toro). Not as sturdy as the really old stuff but a big step up from the Murray, MTD, (china) ... stuff out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-03-2014, 08:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 269
Likes (Given): 371
Likes (Received): 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
I know I was pretty disappointed with the quality of my Troy and it was free! I had always thought they made bulldozer quality machines due to their reputation with tillers. Well, I guess that was then and now they buy their blowers from someone who slaps TroyBilt on them.
?
The only good thing Troy ever built was tillers. They went bankrupt and MTD bought either the company or the name and due to Troy's legendary tiller reputation they have slapped the Troy Bilt logo on anything they can come up with. Terrible to see a wonderful piece of America get abused. I go to the big blue home store here in our little boro and see people buying those throw away mowers and blowers and shake my head.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #6 of 21 Old 12-03-2014, 08:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Welcome to the forum Wildebs.

Joe

Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
New.green shovel
post #7 of 21 Old 12-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
For a newer machine the Troy or the Cub will work just fine and I've been guilty of saying "throw away" too but it's still a machine that with routine maintenance will live a good long useful life. I'm spoiled because the '69 Ariens and 70's Craftsman tanks (both 32's) I own were overbuilt and they last. They are a pain to turn but they move a lot of snow, a lot !!
BUT you have to remember there are a ton of the newer, lighter built MTD, Murray, Craftsman, Troy, Cub .... machines that the average guy goes out and uses each snowfall and they do the job.

Please be kind to our brothers that don't have a new Honda or a 70's Ariens or whatever is considered to be a "good" machine as you have to remember these newer blowers still save their owners from shoveling and some of us just don't have the cash for a Honda or the Skills to keep an old dog running or to get running.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes MagnumB liked this post
post #8 of 21 Old 12-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
The only good thing Troy ever built was tillers. They went bankrupt and MTD bought either the company or the name and due to Troy's legendary tiller reputation they have slapped the Troy Bilt logo on anything they can come up with. Terrible to see a wonderful piece of America get abused. I go to the big blue home store here in out little boro and see paople buying those throw away mowers and blowers and shake my head.
Same story with Cub Cadet..the first Cub Cadets were garden tractors designed and built by International Harvester..the early Cub Cadets ( the first came out in 1961) had the same gearboxs as the IH Cub tractor! A full size farm tractor! The IH Cub Cadets were among the higest quality and most respected consumer lawn and garden tractors for all of the 60's, 70's, and into the mid 80's...then MTD bought the name...today the Cub Cadet line has no relation to the machines of 30 to 50 years ago..they just ride on the coat tails of the well known name..

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 12-03-2014 at 10:40 PM.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-03-2014, 10:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I understand, frog. It's just old age kicking in. I remember the glory days of good old American Iron. The stuff may have been a little basic, a little heavy, .... But daggone it, they all were bulletproof. You could purchase a lawn/garden tractor as a young man and it stood a very good chance of outliving you, with only minimal routine maintenance given it. Those days are pretty much gone for anything. It seems to be the new normal to manufacture short lived machinery. I won't use the other term.
Honestly it makes me a little sad to see us going the way we are going.

Joe

Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
New.green shovel
post #10 of 21 Old 12-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
nowadays mtd makes pretty much everything and just shoots it with a different color and slaps on a different sticker. Some of the "high end" mtd brands get a few extra features but that basically the only difference. thats the way it is with a lot of power equipment and tools now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page