post #1 of 10 Old 10-30-2015, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 15
Cub Cadet 3X HD track

Hi All
Just wondering if anyone has a track model HD CUB ? If so , how do you like the tracks ? Overall , are 3X owners pleased with the performance ? Looking at getting one this year but they are selling out fast . People are very afraid after the more than 17 feet of snow we had here in PEI last winter. Have a Husqvarna 2 stage. I'm going to trade it in either for a Husqvarna track or Cub Cadet track. The Cubs are a lot less money and the HD seems to be a well built machine. I would like to try out the Husqvarna and the Cub side by side in a 4 foot snow drift but too bad this is not possible. Just wondering if people notice a difference with the 3 stage over the 2 stage .
Thanks everyone !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-02-2015, 12:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Hi Canadagoose i bought a Cub Cadet 3X HD last year this time although mine was not a track model i personally think it is a wonderful machine although it is my first snow blower so i have not had the privilege to compare to another machine, i was very happy with it's performance last winter although i did experience the chute clogging once but found many remedy's from folk in the forum and that issue was taken care of right away.
the more snow the better but it handled all winter very well, very pleased and looking forward to this winter and hope it snows and snows i have the 3x HD with the 420cc engine and metal chute.the more snow the merrier for this machine though if only a small amount the 3 stage does tend to push the snow to each side of the bucket but with a significant amount it just plows through it no problem and the end of driveway pile left by the city plows it make short work of that to all in all i'm very happy with the cub cadet 3x but again i cannot compare with any other snow blower as this is my very first machine. i find it is very sturdy in my opinion very well built all augers and bucket and chute are very tough looking and quite thick in material not tin looking, and the heated grips are a plus. hope this helps.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-02-2015, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by cub cadet 3x View Post
Hi Canadagoose i bought a Cub Cadet 3X HD last year this time although mine was not a track model i personally think it is a wonderful machine although it is my first snow blower so i have not had the privilege to compare to another machine, i was very happy with it's performance last winter although i did experience the chute clogging once but found many remedy's from folk in the forum and that issue was taken care of right away.
the more snow the better but it handled all winter very well, very pleased and looking forward to this winter and hope it snows and snows i have the 3x HD with the 420cc engine and metal chute.the more snow the merrier for this machine though if only a small amount the 3 stage does tend to push the snow to each side of the bucket but with a significant amount it just plows through it no problem and the end of driveway pile left by the city plows it make short work of that to all in all i'm very happy with the cub cadet 3x but again i cannot compare with any other snow blower as this is my very first machine. i find it is very sturdy in my opinion very well built all augers and bucket and chute are very tough looking and quite thick in material not tin looking, and the heated grips are a plus. hope this helps.
Hi Cub Cadet 3X
Yes this is very helpful and thanks for the reply ! I did have a 2 stage before and I would find with light snow it was fine but with heavy snow like we tend to get here (very hard packed drifted snow) the 2 stage struggled. I'm hoping the 3 stage with tracks will power through those snow drifts . I was at the dealer and went over the machine thoroughly. The HD version does appear to be a well built machine . Now I can't believe I am saying this but I am looking forward to some heavy duty snow so I can challenge this heavy duty machine. I am also getting the 420 CC engine so that should also give me plenty of power to toss the snow. I'll post how things work out. We usually get our most challenging snow dumps in February and March so I may have to wait before I can really challenge this machine.
Go Habs go !!
post #4 of 10 Old 11-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 679
Likes (Given): 3830
Likes (Received): 1472
Garage
Sounds like you need something with the largest diameter impeller you can get. With packed snow getting it out of the machine is the trick to being able to do it quickly. Most machines can easily auger more snow to the center of the machine than the impeller can clear. That's when you need to slow down to a point that the impeller is discharging the amount of snow you're running the auger into.

Even thought it's a new machine you might want to check out the impeller to housing clearance. The impeller modification would help you get every bit of performance out of the impeller you can.

https://www.google.com/#q=snowblower...dification+kit

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-02-2015, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Kiss4aFrog . I'll have to check that out. Saw a post on it before but didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I'll check out the link . Thanks again !
post #6 of 10 Old 11-14-2015, 08:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
Had my 3x for a season and a half. It was kicking everything I would throw at it including real real heavy slush! I would not recommend the Home Depot version with the joy stick and the plastic chute though.....got mine from a dealer with 6 mos no interest payments and love the metal chute.

Jim

2014 Cub Cadet 3X 26" HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

video going thru 31.9" Storm Feb 2016

Last edited by jims94vmx; 12-12-2015 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelled out Home Depot instead of using HD for confusion
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
post #7 of 10 Old 11-15-2015, 02:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 5
I have a 26" 3X HD (Heavy Duty) model from a dealer. Metal chute, 420cc engine, on wheels. Used it for an entire winter last year.

I'm impressed at how fast I can plow through 6"-12" of snow. CC claims that it "Clears up to 50% faster". It definitely clears snow quickly.

I had a hard time picking between a 26" and 28"; but because the performance is so good I have no regrets buying the smaller 26" blower even with a 105ft driveway. The engine-to-width ratio and 3x feature gets the job done quickly.

The CCs are the best you'll get from MTD. My personal opinion is that the CC line is excellent value for the money. For me, if I wanted better quality than a CC (Heavy-Duty) model I would skip all of the debate and go for a Honda or a Yamaha.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-16-2015, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Everyone !
Yes I am extremely pleased with my new Cub. Can't wait to try it out. It also has an LCD light attached to the centre of the bucket. I'll have to get some pics posted
post #9 of 10 Old 12-04-2015, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok so we had 15-20 cm of snow last night. (6-8 inches ; a light dusting by our standards). I started up my new Cub. Fired up no problem and no surprises there. This machine smoothly tracks through the snow blowing it wherever I point with ease. I just cleared the driveway before coming to work but I can't wait to get home and take it out again. Head out to the backyard and clear some trails for the dogs. I've always had wheels and was a little concerned about the tracks being more difficult to maneuver but the steering works flawlessly. No problems turning or maneuvering this machine . It's my first outing (of so many more to come I am sure) but this is a marvelous piece of engineering. I didn't find it left "trails" of snow like I have read in some other reviews or posts. It throws the snow high and far . Everything I was hoping for . I'll update more when I have had a chance to use it more.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-04-2015, 03:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 3
glad you like it....I know I sure love mine! Mine leaves nothing behind either....

Jim

2014 Cub Cadet 3X 26" HD

video going thru 31.9" Storm Feb 2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page