526 SWE Cub Cadet discharge chute control - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-06-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
526 SWE Cub Cadet discharge chute control

Been looking at the Cub Cadet 526 SWE.

Can't get over my dislike of their chute control. This same chute control is used on a number of Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, and MTD products.

It is the large joystick that fore and aft movement lowers and raises the chute, and after pressing the red button, left and right movement swings the chute in that respective direction.

It doesn't seem to work very well even in the showroom. In addition, the chute elevation is only held in place by friction with no positive mechanical stops. I've read complaints about it working its way higher when discharging snow.

Anyone have first hand experience with this system, good or bad?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-06-2013, 04:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
It's made by mtd thats all i can say.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #3 of 8 Old 12-06-2013, 07:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ariens View Post
It's made by mtd thats all i can say.
enough said

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #4 of 8 Old 12-16-2013, 10:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I use this system, and honestly i really like it. he cub cadet i have allows for a single lever to maintain auger and wheel drive so that you can adjust the chute as you walk. the up / down positioning will slip, but only if you do not have the bolt tightened to the correct tension (it has a large composit wing nut on it). once you get it at the right tension, it will stay where you put it.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the information KMac.

I've experimented a little bit with the system at various dealers and retailers and tried tightening up the wing nut.

The chute still seems to move a little too easily when I'm fiddling with it even though at the handle end it is difficult to move as I have the wing nut so tight.

This is not a substitute for real world experience such as yours but it just makes me leery of that feature.

If I may ask how long have you had this snowblower and how much have you used it?

Thanks again for the feedback.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 09:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 57
From the few joystick controls I have tried including a Toro. I found it makes a big difference on how easy it is based on whether or not the engine was running.

Although I found the engine running on manual crank chutes makes it easier as well.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-18-2013, 09:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 18
I had what seems to be the same chute control on a former Craftsman I owned for a very short period of time. I think I had it for maybe 2 or 3 winters, that's it. I sold it in October of 2011.

I can't say I got rid of it for the chute control, however, it was annoying. The up and down control worked just fine, however, moving the chute left to right was not good. It would never stay in place. As I would move forward, blowing the snow at a 90' angle to my left or right, the chute would slowly creep back to center.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-21-2013, 10:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I would first say that you are best setting up the chute at home, from the box. It is not hard and I have never seen a show room assembly work properly, for any of the stick controlled models. If it is not done correctly, you won't get full rotation when using.

The only thing I've noticed is that the stick is hard to move if you are trying to rotate the chute while the impeller is blasting snow through it. That's understandable though. Trick is to rotate chute without snow blasting through, and, to ensure that after the trigger is released, the stick has seated itself in the console firmly ... There must be some sort of gearing teeth that the trigger grabs and releases from. Mine has crept, but only a few degrees until the stick is seated, never back to center.

So, it takes some paying attention to, but it is VASTLY superior to the hand crank style chute controls. Plus, blowing is not a race so no big deal in my book if I just need to slow down, stop auger, reseat stick to move chute. Whole process takes a couple seconds after familiarized with controls.

I have the 3 stage 26 inch. This machine throws like a champ, and the engine doesn't break a sweat, starts first pull all 3 use occasions this season. Last storm was 6 inches of medium to wet snow... 30 foot toss at full speed easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page