LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-28-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 20
Just acquired my second Cub Cadet...

Well, since my Craftsman rebuild is going to take some more time than I expected, and with impending snow this next week, I started looking for another snowblower (yes, I fully blame all the multiple-snow blower-mentalities on this forum for egging me on)...

So, after some searching I found a Cub Cadet 524SWE, that per the serial number was built in 2011, that was barely used for a song... I figured it had to have some sort of issue with it, but couldn't tell anything upon initial look.

I bought it, stopped at the store and picked up a new spark plug for it, I already have synthetic oil at home to change the oil...

Once home we unload it and I start looking it over... Come to find out one of the augers on the RH side is bent... Bent so bad it was actually hitting the impeller shaft... It even took a chunk out of the gearbox, one of the bolt bosses got nicked...

So, come to find out MTDParts is out of stock on that auger, so I found a used replacement for about 30% savings on ebay and ordered it up...

Now, after looking at everything else, it really does look like it was barely used. I figure whatever caused the bent auger ended up breaking both shear-pins on that side and that was why only 2 sheer pins were still on the control panel. But, the impeller still has all the paint/powdercoat still on it, the impellers are pristine (except for the nick on the bent one) and it looks as if the blower had barely a tank of gas run through it (I figure the gas in the tank was just some stuff the guy added to make sure it would start, as it smelled more like seafoam than gas). Everything looks "as new" as something that sat for 4 years or so can, with the only rust at the very bottom of the impeller housing (like water sat in it all winter). The chute control works well (not sticky like a lot of even moderately used chute controls of this configuration are). And there isn't any sort of scratching in the impeller housing or the chute at all.

The new auger won't be here until tuesday and we are getting snow monday night/tuesday morning, so in the meantime I am going to strip it as much as possible and re-lube everything. During that process I will rebend the auger back into shape to use it until the new auger comes in, as well as making sure everything else is up to snuff. I can tell already that the cables were never adjusted properly, and it seems like the auger cable is stiff/sticking (as in it won't release properly once you press it down as well as being harder to press down than expected) and loose as well when the lever is up.

I will put the new plug in (anyone have an opinion on the OEM Torch vs the equivalent Champion plug?). Along with cleaning the friction plate and checking all the pulleys. I am also going to change the oil and fill the tank with gas stabilized with seafoam.

I did find out I can add hand warmers to this model with a readily available kit for about $45, so I might go that route after this winter.

Does anyone know of the part number for the spray paint from Cub Cadet so I can cleanup and repaint the bottom of the impeller housing?

I guess I could be pissed that the owner didn't tell me of the damage, but considering even with the spark plug, oil change and replacement impeller I won't even have half the cost of a new 524SWE in it, I really can't complain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-28-2016, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
And so it begins.

Valspar: Cub Cadet Yl Spray Paint, 018.5339-25.076

Valspar: Cub Cadet Yl Spray Paint, 018.5339-25.076

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-28-2016, 09:01 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
That engine won't run well with a champion plug. Use an ngk bpr6es to replace the stock torch plug
post #4 of 23 Old 01-28-2016, 09:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 74
Congrats! I have a 2014 version of that model. I'm very happy with it!

Cub Cadet 2X 524 SWE
Ariens 922008, 922018 - Project
Previous: Ariens 624E, Toro CCR2000
post #5 of 23 Old 01-28-2016, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
That engine won't run well with a champion plug. Use an ngk bpr6es to replace the stock torch plug
Thanks, that is the kind of feedback I was hoping for...

I must say, I find it really strange how "dynamic" spark plugs are for given engines/setups...

My T/A for example runs best and produces the best power on Autolite AR103 racing plugs... I tried 5 other ones and the worst were NGK plugs, yet so many other LT1 owners claim their setups run the best on NGK plugs... Now, the big difference for me is I have a coilpack setup vs a stock coil and cap...

I do know that the Tecumseh 8-11hp snow king engines run best on a Champion plug, same with my Brute 21" (Briggs & Stratton) lawnmower.

So, quick question then, is the NGK BPR6ES a big improvement over the stock Torch plug, or does it pretty much run the same with either? Again, I know certain plugs do make a difference (ie, the Champion plug for the Tecumseh motors)...
post #6 of 23 Old 01-28-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Actually, the local Farm & Fleet has that paint, but the cap color looks NOTHING like modern Cub Cadet yellow (I matched it to a couple of rider-mowers they had in-stock)... One guy there said it actually looks like the more mustard/gold yellow the old-school Cub Cadet HD equipment used to have.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-29-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well, I am all done setting this one up. She runs well and is ready for snow.

I changed the plug (used the OEM Torch plug for now), changed the oil, put on a new auger belt, reset all the cable tensions, lubed the mainshaft, cleaned the friction disc and wheel, fixed a pulley issue that was a manufacturing problem, and even replaced a shoulder-bolt and nut I snapped off. I even ran it in for a couple hours. It starts on the first pull from cold.

Oh, I also ended up straightening out the auger, too bad I already ordered a replacement, stupid on my part. I also fixed all the other issues the original owner didn't address.

I will say, the guy I got it from must be one heck of a poseur. He owns a '80 Bronco I believe, was crowing about how all-original it was. Had a couple of Harleys, painted garage floor, couple other cars, etc... Acted like a he was a "car guy", but it is obvious by how this thing was improperly setup/taken care of, that he is a complete "waxer" with absolutely NO mechanical ability at all. Some of this stuff is so blatant that it is purely owner incompetence that he even tried to use it in the state it was in.

Sure, all his stuff looks pretty, and I am grateful he took good enough care of this unit, since I benefited from it, but from a real "car guy" perspective, you gotta be kidding me. As bad as all these wanna-be Harley guys that don't even know how to give their bike a tune-up (I live in a suburb of Milwaukee, so we get over-run with Harley events and more wanna-be morons than I ever care to recount).

Well, bring on the snow next week... I will be giving my wife and my oldest daughter lessons on the new 524SWE. It is much easier to handle compared to the bigly Craftsman I am redoing.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-29-2016, 06:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisP View Post

Well, bring on the snow next week... I will be giving my wife and my oldest daughter lessons on the new 524SWE. It is much easier to handle compared to the bigly Craftsman I am redoing.
My wife is 5'1" and likes the 524SWE because it is so easy to use and steer.

Cub Cadet 2X 524 SWE
Ariens 922008, 922018 - Project
Previous: Ariens 624E, Toro CCR2000
post #9 of 23 Old 01-29-2016, 10:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Glad you were able to make good on it Dennis - that Craftsman rebuild is one serious undertaking! I like how you take it over the top! ;>P

post #10 of 23 Old 01-29-2016, 10:55 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisP View Post
Thanks, that is the kind of feedback I was hoping for...

I must say, I find it really strange how "dynamic" spark plugs are for given engines/setups...

My T/A for example runs best and produces the best power on Autolite AR103 racing plugs... I tried 5 other ones and the worst were NGK plugs, yet so many other LT1 owners claim their setups run the best on NGK plugs... Now, the big difference for me is I have a coilpack setup vs a stock coil and cap...

I do know that the Tecumseh 8-11hp snow king engines run best on a Champion plug, same with my Brute 21" (Briggs & Stratton) lawnmower.

So, quick question then, is the NGK BPR6ES a big improvement over the stock Torch plug, or does it pretty much run the same with either? Again, I know certain plugs do make a difference (ie, the Champion plug for the Tecumseh motors)...
the performance between the torch and ngk plugs are the same on paper but in reality the quality of the oem torch(or whatever chinese plug it comes with) is poor and the failure rate is high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page