post #1 of 21 Old 09-21-2016, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Cub Cadet, Good Deal?

Hi,

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a snowblower (I guess that means that I actually have admitted that I moved back to the snowbelt after any decades south of I-40). I did a lot of research and have settled on the Cub Cadet 3X 26". I was thinking about the HD, and thought that Homedepot carried the HD, because the photos all showed the metal chute. However, the front opening height was only 21". So I decided that I needed to go to the store to see one first hand. Well, it looks as though they must have simply switched the standard duty to a metal chute with a crank. The machine has none of the other HD features as described in the video in the "Standard vs. Heavy Duty" thread on this forum.

So, the 1199 price doesn't seem like as good a deal as I thought.

However, while there, I noticed two 2014 3X 26" models for 859. I asked if they would take any less and the answer was, sure, how about 825. So I decided it was too good a deal to pass up. What do you think? Is the plastic chute and the 4-way handle a deal breaker? I have about 4,000 square feet to clear, is the 3X 26" going to get the job done in a reasonable time?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

BTW, if you happen to be in Cleveland, they have a second 2014 model on the floor.

Last edited by elliowb; 09-21-2016 at 03:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-21-2016, 06:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliowb View Post
Hi,

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a snowblower (I guess that means that I actually have admitted that I moved back to the snowbelt after any decades south of I-40). I did a lot of research and have settled on the Cub Cadet 3X 26". I was thinking about the HD, and thought that Homedepot carried the HD, because the photos all showed the metal chute. However, the front opening height was only 21". So I decided that I needed to go to the store to see one first hand. Well, it looks as though they must have simply switched the standard duty to a metal chute with a crank. The machine has none of the other HD features as described in the video in the "Standard vs. Heavy Duty" thread on this forum.

So, the 1199 price doesn't seem like as good a deal as I thought.

However, while there, I noticed two 2014 3X 26" models for 859. I asked if they would take any less and the answer was, sure, how about 825. So I decided it was too good a deal to pass up. What do you think? Is the plastic chute and the 4-way handle a deal breaker? I have about 4,000 square feet to clear, is the 3X 26" going to get the job done in a reasonable time?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

BTW, if you happen to be in Cleveland, they have a second 2014 model on the floor.

I wouldn't worry about a polymer chute, I had one on my MTD model 640F and it worked fine for 20 years before I sold it and was fine when I sold it. Hit it with silicone spray every year and the snow won't stick to it.

The 4 way chute I am not crazy about can be finicky especially if not assembled properly, kinda have to work it by moving your forearm not your hand, at least from my experience playing with them at the store.

That sounds like a really good deal and I would probably jump on it. If you were spending $1200. or so I would seriously consider the Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO, but for $825. The Cub 3X 26 is a sweet deal, full warranty I would imagine it is new.
You do have a big driveway and a 30" auger size machine would not be too big for your application. However a 26" machine will get the job done but will take more passes and therefore longer to complete. I use a 24" machine, my drive is almost 1/2 the size of yours about 2100 s.f. but always has some cars on it so I prefer the smaller auger size for maneuverability around the cars, over the 28" machines that I have owned.

All the best.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cardo111; 09-21-2016 at 06:15 AM.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-21-2016, 09:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile

I almost bought that very same model. That sounds like a great deal! After years of friction drive snowblowers I just decided to try something different, i.e. hydrostatic drive. The plastic chute, 4 way chute control and long plastic skid shoes were all positives. I agree with Cardo, the 4 way chute control needs to be set up properly, there's actually a ring and pinion gear at the handle end as I remember it. Some of them I tried worked smooth as silk, others not so much. Probably a matter of adjustment and lubrication. Good thing is you can adjust it now in nice weather! Enjoy!
post #4 of 21 Old 09-21-2016, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo111 View Post

I wouldn't worry about a polymer chute, I had one on my MTD model 640F and it worked fine for 20 years before I sold it and was fine when I sold it. Hit it with silicone spray every year and the snow won't stick to it.

The 4 way chute I am not crazy about can be finicky especially if not assembled properly, kinda have to work it by moving your forearm not your hand, at least from my experience playing with them at the store.

That sounds like a really good deal and I would probably jump on it. If you were spending $1200. or so I would seriously consider the Ariens Deluxe 28 SHO, but for $825. The Cub 3X 26 is a sweet deal, full warranty I would imagine it is new.
You do have a big driveway and a 30" auger size machine would not be too big for your application. However a 26" machine will get the job done but will take more passes and therefore longer to complete. I use a 24" machine, my drive is almost 1/2 the size of yours about 2100 s.f. but always has some cars on it so I prefer the smaller auger size for maneuverability around the cars, over the 28" machines that I have owned.

All the best.
Thanks Cardo. I had originally been going toward that exact Ariens model, however, with the amount of drive that I have and the very high ratings in Consumer Reports and generally positive comments on this forum about how much faster the 3X could clear, I thought the 3X technology was worth a shot. Then the heavily discounted older model at HD sealed the deal (the 2014 that I got does have a full warranty. I'm on the east side of Cleveland, so we can get some fairly hefty lake-effect snow, so I'll probably need that extra oomph from the 3X.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-21-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromr View Post
I almost bought that very same model. That sounds like a great deal! After years of friction drive snowblowers I just decided to try something different, i.e. hydrostatic drive. The plastic chute, 4 way chute control and long plastic skid shoes were all positives. I agree with Cardo, the 4 way chute control needs to be set up properly, there's actually a ring and pinion gear at the handle end as I remember it. Some of them I tried worked smooth as silk, others not so much. Probably a matter of adjustment and lubrication. Good thing is you can adjust it now in nice weather! Enjoy!
Thanks for your suggestion Stromr. I will try to do some adjustment to the 4-way lever before the cold sets in. This particular one wasn't too bad, but I do worry a bit that when the machine is covered in snow and ice, that it might not work as well (last winter I put a furnace in the garage though, so at least I can bring it in and melt off any excess snow buildup). It also seems like you have to get used to the motion that it takes to shift from side to side. I think they would have been better off using the forward-and-back motion to control side-to-side, rather than control the little flapper at the end of the chute. Just seems like there's more leverage. I guess only time will tell.
post #6 of 21 Old 09-22-2016, 11:27 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
My neighbor has a black and yellow Craftsman 3 stage that I believe is the exact same model one you bought. It has a nice big 357cc engine, although it's a Powermore brand with insanely complicated shrouding around the "need to get to" areas of the engine. I think I had to remove 15 bolts and screws to access the carb to clean it when they left fuel in it over the summer. Thing runs out nice with a clean carb and good fuel. They had some hitches in the chute rotation that we fixed with simply pulling the chute off the tube and using grease. It was assembled from Sears when they bought it and there was absolutely no grease where the chute contacted the impeller discharge. My personal dislike was the auger and drive handle controls are reversed from 90% of blowers. Auger is controlled with left hand and drive with right, but that's just a simple thing to get used to. It shudders a bit when pressed into deep snow and is lighter than my preference, but a decent blower. I noticed on theirs the center 3rd stage seems to throw excess snow to the port side of the bucket. During sloppy snows, the bucket would collect quite a bit of slag inside that edge of the bucket. For the price you paid I think you got a great deal.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-22-2016, 12:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Consumer Reports has the highest rating on 3X cub cadet snowblower models models. I notice this also on Snowblowersdirect.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (8485).png
Views:	25
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	89593  
post #8 of 21 Old 09-22-2016, 02:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
"...although it's a Powermore brand with insanely complicated shrouding around the "need to get to" areas of the engine. I think I had to remove 15 bolts and screws to access the carb to clean it when they left fuel in it over the summer."

Another good reason to use non-ethanol gas with stabilizer and run it dry before you put it away for summer!
post #9 of 21 Old 09-22-2016, 03:39 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Stromr, You are correct, sir! The VAST majority of small engine stuff I help friends with is carb related. Simply put, it's the crap fuel we get. We do have a neighborhood gas station/convenience store that supplies rec gas. It's owned by my parents neighbor who is an avid water ski junkie. Since he put in the rec gas I would say easily 99% of the lake homes get their boat gas from him, and they are figuring out it works for the lawn tractors, quads, snowmobiles and snowblowers. It's not uncommon to see a line at the single pump during the summer on Friday nights and Saturday mornings.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-23-2016, 05:49 PM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 33
I checkd out a Cub Cadet at one of the box stores, they look good. I did notice a bit of a gap between the impeller and the housing, almost pinkie size. It might need an impeller kit right away.
Sid

'66 Sears/Murray 26"
'71 Jakobson 17 SnowBlitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page