LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 09-24-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Shear Pin problems on Cub Cadet 3x?

Amazon has a lot of reviews of Cub Cadets and many complain that they have broken many many shear pins, like it's a constant problem. Consumer reports rates Cub a little higher than Ariens but I want to choose the best one for complete ease of use and dependable durability (hope that's not asking too much). I'm looking at either the 26" or 28" 3x Cub vs the 28" platinum Ariens....

Also that Ariens does not have hand warmers, any problems or loss of quality with installing them?

Comments, experience, advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 09-24-2016, 12:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Smile Welcome Aboard!

First off let me say I have no experience with Cub Cadet.
Secondly I can't remember the last time I broke a shear pin! My experience with owners telling me they broke shear pins has almost always been operator error. That is not to say Cub Cadet didn't have a run of less than adequate shear pins.
As to what snowblower is right for you I can only say two words, Toro and Ariens. Both brands offer many different machines and have an extensive dealer network that should make it easy to find people you can develop a rapport with. Before you visit write down a few requirements and information you need. How long is your driveway, other areas you want to clean, how steep is it, do you need tracks or wheels, hand warmers, an operator enclosure, etc.
Also while many on this site disregard the website "MovingSnow.com" as just being a sales website a few of us have found it useful.
If you're like me and want "something different" and don't care about the dealer network being thin in your area you go for a Husqvarna. The last couple of years they have made tremendous strides in quality and reliability but they're still not for everyone.
And lastly while you're shopping even if you don't want to spend mega $$$ you owe it to yourself to pay a visit to a Honda dealer and see how the other half lives! Awesome snowblowers!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #3 of 54 Old 09-24-2016, 12:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 270
Likes (Given): 372
Likes (Received): 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDoc View Post
Amazon has a lot of reviews of Cub Cadets and many complain that they have broken many many shear pins, like it's a constant problem. Consumer reports rates Cub a little higher than Ariens but I want to choose the best one for complete ease of use and dependable durability (hope that's not asking too much). I'm looking at either the 26" or 28" 3x Cub vs the 28" platinum Ariens....

Also that Ariens does not have hand warmers, any problems or loss of quality with installing them?

This is only MY humble opinion but consumer reports would be the LEAST reliable of my sources of review.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JD in NJ, Mustang, jsup liked this post
post #4 of 54 Old 09-24-2016, 12:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
This is only MY humble opinion but consumer reports would be the LEAST reliable of my sources of review.
I'm in 110% agreement! I forgot Consumer Reports are the Einsteins that thought they could replicate snow using wet sawdust! Wrong answer!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Srichard thanked for this post
post #5 of 54 Old 09-25-2016, 11:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
Quote:

aboard!

I don't know how big your drive is but you may want to look at the Ariens Platinum 24 SHO as well. I am not sure if you meant the Deluxe 28 SHO, which is an excellent value but without the heated grips or Quick-Turn chute. If you need something bigger the Deluxe 30 (crank chute on the Deluxe series) is another good option it has a smaller engine but with enough power and you will also get your heated grips. The Ariens Platinum 30 SHO is also nice and has a 414cc engine (for a few hundred more you may want to consider a Pro 28). If you have obstacles like cars on your drive when blowing snow. I have realized that a smaller machine will actually get you done faster.

Regarding Consumer Reports, I have been a subscriber for many years. Their ratings often have a huge impact on the resale value of cars and influence their readers buying choices tremendously, they often offer excellent tips but I do not take their opinions as set in stone. I have lost some faith in them over the years. When they rate snow blowers they do not factor in customer support, actual reviews from owners who have been using their machines for years along with other crucial factors. Regarding the wet saw dust test doesn't bother me and I assume it is a close comparison to the white stuff in terms of consistency. I have seen photos of Ariens testing their blowers with saw dust during the off season.

I have owned snowblowers for many years (including a mid 90's MTD 640F that served me well for years) and I will tell you at this point that Ariens and MTD manufactured snow blowers are not in the same league, in terms of overall build quality, longevity and certainly customer support where Ariens is second to none, though Honda offers very good support as well. I am not saying that a Cub Cadet can't serve you well, just that the brands differ in many ways.

Best of luck on your search.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cardo111; 09-25-2016 at 11:24 AM.
post #6 of 54 Old 09-28-2016, 07:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Missing in the Cub Cadet conversation are two notable elements: First, the Cub Cadet box-store machines last year came with a poly chute whereas the dealer HD versions (also sold in the U.S. on-line direct from Cub Cadet) had wider-framed steel chutes. Folks who owned the box-store units of the BASE 3X units seemed to post about broken shear pins. This past season, I can't recall having read any feedback/comments on this site, Moving snow.com, or elsewhere about the 2015-2016 3X HD units, i.e., breaking shear pins. Having read the shear pin comments on the box-store units, I'm curious to hear from other 3X HD owners if they had problems with shear pins. My new 3X HD unit this February only saw action after a 4" storm and performed well, but this small storm hardly qualified as a real first test for me to offer a meaningful performance review. Secondly, Cub Cadet updated their 2016-2017 3X lineup to include a new Pro Series, a class above the HD units. The new Pro unit has a 14" auger and 14" impeller. In contrast, the HD units and box store units have 12" augers and 12" impellers. So with Cub Cadet's introduction of the Pro Series, I'm curious to learn over this next season if the shear pin problem from last season only pertained to the box store units. That's my hope as a HD owner.

Last edited by JustSnow; 09-28-2016 at 09:36 PM. Reason: bad spelling.
post #7 of 54 Old 09-28-2016, 08:39 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Quote:
. I'm looking at either the 26" or 28" 3x Cub vs the 28" platinum Ariens....

What Ariens "Platinum 28" are you comparing to the Cub? Where do you see Ariens Platinum without hand warmers?
Likes JD in NJ liked this post
post #8 of 54 Old 09-28-2016, 08:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 124
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 167
I think AcuDoc meant to say the Deluxe 28 SHO that doesn't include heated grips. As there is no Ariens Platinum 28 model.

Ariens Platinum 24 SHO w/369cc carbureted LCT motor

Likes JD in NJ liked this post
post #9 of 54 Old 09-28-2016, 09:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 22
Our local dealer carries Club Cadet, Ariens and Toro.

Initially, I was interested in the HD Club Cadets (hadn't yet seen the user reviews on Amazon). The dealer warned me that with every Club Cadet they sold, they provided a dozen free shear pins. He said they go through them like candy.

Here in western MA, we receive especially unpleasant snow - wet, heavy and lots of it. The EOD stuff is ultra-nasty - lots of ice. This is a tough environment for snowblowers. Hence, lots of shear pins. I can't think of many tasks less pleasant than replacing shear pins in the snow, in the dark, while trying to clear a driveway at 7:00 am.

Ultimately, the dealer convinced me to go with Ariens. In spite of the higher price, he said they sell 8 Ariens for every Club Cadet.

He also warned me that the "3X" design is great if you have lots of fluffy snow. But, if the snow is wet, the 3X configuration tends to push the snow in front, and doesn't clean well to the pavement.

I've never tried a 3X design, so these comments are all hearsay from my dealer.

Last edited by Strato; 09-28-2016 at 09:10 PM.
post #10 of 54 Old 11-20-2016, 08:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Hi all,
My first post here. I was tempted to start (yet) another thread on Cub Cadet shear pins but decided to tack on here with my issue in hopes it can add to the discussion.
I'm starting my second season with a CC 3x 30" HD purchased from a local dealer new. I have a 400', very clean, asphalt driveway. Upstate NY at 1000' elevation with enough wind to be considering a small wind turbine but that's another story. Point being, we get the snow with the wind and the drifts. For the past 10 years a Troy-Bilt Polar Blast served my needs pretty well although replacing burned belts before shear pins got tiring and I retired it after a heavy snow season 2013-2014.
What prompts me to write is that I keep shearing pins, but only one, the far left as you stand at the controls. Today we had the first blowable amount of snow, maximum 3 inches of fairly wet stuff, temps were in the mid 30's. Within the first 100' it sheared. And then again sometime shortly after. This is how it's been with this machine. Just yesterday before the snow I went over the driveway with a leaf blower knowing today would be a test, so I don't think there were sticks or anything that might've gotten sucked in. I'm mindful not to favor one side or the other. I run up and back the drive and can do a basic clearing in 2 trips.
Anyway, the machine is otherwise solid and runs reliably and if not for this PITA I'd recommend it. I'm open to suggestions (the local dealer kind of points his finger back at me and he knows my driveway), I really think a machine like this ought to do better in 3" of heavy snow. But right now I kinda regret the purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page