Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-14-2016, 10:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 23
S-264. I had one and GAVE it away! ( Smashes head against wall ).

1962 or '63 Snow Bird S-225
1989 John Deere 524
post #3 of 8 Old 02-14-2016, 10:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 67
Likes (Received): 15
What makes this unit so desirable?
Just rare? Sure looks solid and clean!
Seems really heavy!

Ariens Deluxe28+ AX414cc
Ariens ST824
Ariens 1970
Toro 724
Honda HS521
Cub cadet SS
Snowbird
post #4 of 8 Old 02-14-2016, 05:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 23
Snow Birds rank up high in the 'coolness' factor. Not really rare, and not the best working machine.

1962 or '63 Snow Bird S-225
1989 John Deere 524
post #5 of 8 Old 02-15-2016, 12:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 124
There is a seller on CL with one who specifically states...

"Please remember this has value as a collectible"

Originally was asking $500.00, now down to $400.00.

In my opinion, he has another $200-250 to go before anyone is going to take a gamble on a 50yo + blower.
I don't think they really have much of an increased value as a "collectible"

Sold for $103.50, probably a typical price for these.

Last edited by russkat; 02-15-2016 at 12:20 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-15-2016, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by russkat View Post

"Please remember this has value as a collectible"
no mister clueless craigslist seller, it really doesn't..a running used Snowbird is worth $50 to $150 all day long, anywhere..

The one in this thread, on ebay, is about as "desirable" as a Snowbird gets..its one of the 26" models, and in great shape, and it sold for $100, in the middle of winter..that tells the tale right there..

a quote of mine from another thread:

Quote:
I think the recent growth of the antique garden tractor hobby, full-size farm tractor restoration hobby, and certainly the antique car hobby, has led to a false belief that "if its old, it must be valuable"..
but that doesn't apply to snowblowers at all..

It is true that some early 1960's John Deere garden tractors and Wheel Horse garden tractors have increased in value, because the very early ones are rare and desirable, but there is NO snowblower model that has any real "collector value" whatsoever..simply because there is no real snowblower "collector market" to speak of..We see the collectors and "old snowblower enthusiasts" here, in this forum, but thats only because this is the one place in the world where we gather! this forum does *not* reflect the real world..not even close!

For a 1961 John Deere garden tractor, you might have hundreds of interested buyers, who want it *because* its a 1961 Deere..demand rises, and price rises..

But for a 1961 Ariens (or any other old snowblower) there might be five interested buyers in the world, who want it *because* its a 1961 Ariens..and the odds of finding one of those 5 guys within an hours drive of your house are pretty much zero..and! those five guys aren't willing to pay any premium for it, because its not worth it! they can find another one if they look around a bit, and they have essentially zero competition..and its almost never worth it to ship a snowblower.

So this is a case where "rare" does not equal "higher value"..because there is virtually no demand...the "antique snowblower hobby" simply isnt there yet..IMO it probably never will be, its too much of a very tiny niche hobby. suppy still way outstrips demand, even for the old and "rare" stuff..

Scot
Unfortunately I think my Ariens and Snowbird webpages might have fed this myth a bit..people see the Snowbird webpage and think "ooh! I have a rare desirable collectible worth $400!"..They conveniently miss the part on the page where I say:

Quote:
They are not super rare, and they not very valuable at all. There is no organized "antique snowblower hobby" to speak of, unlike other things such as classic cars or tractors..a few enthusiasts do look for them, but they are few and far between.

For the average homeowner just looking for a practical used snowblower, they are actually a bit undesirable, because they do have limited speeds, and parts availability can be an issue. I bought a non-running 1961 S-224 for $25, which is about right! and a complete and running 1st Gen snowbird can be in the $100 to $250 range, depending on condition, but no more than that really.

Based on the sale of the machine on ebay in this thread, I should revise that estimate down! $250 is probably unrealistic..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Biketrax liked this post
post #7 of 8 Old 02-15-2016, 09:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Brought $103.50 - not bad for somebody who wanted it.....

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Biketrax thanked for this post
post #8 of 8 Old 02-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
I think I will add a new "subsection" to the Snowbird page, specifically about value. I will use this ebay auction as an example, (and find a few more examples) and revise down the value of vintage Snowbirds to $50 to $150 for an operating machine.

I based my original estimate:

"a complete and running 1st Gen snowbird can be in the $100 to $250 range, depending on condition"

based on the value of 1960's Ariens snowblowers, because I had no real Snowbird data to go on..but it seems Snowbirds are worth quite a bit less than Ariens..which makes sense.

Scot

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Biketrax liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page