post #1 of 11 Old 08-23-2016, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 110
Likes (Received): 10
How crazy is this?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/a...735757024.html

At first I thought it was crazy, but then the machine looks clean.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-23-2016, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
I haven't looked at the parts break down on that model, but according to the information available on Plano Power Equipment's site, it was made in 1983-1984, so I would pretty much guess that there are a fair number of parts that are NLA for it. Clean as it might be, personally, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it.

Here's what is on the Plano site for the snow blower and its engine:

HS50 TA* (1983-1984) G200-TA Engine, Track Drive

Side Valve Horizontal Shaft Engine Models - Includes G100, G150, G200, G300, and G400
These engines were sold from 1978 to about 1986. Some parts for these models have been discontinued, but most are still available.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-23-2016, 07:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 267
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 903
It's another shoeless Honda with all the serrations ground off the augers. I'll pass. If they couldn't be bothered to make those minor adjustments they probably beat the tobacco juice out of it. Bucket is worn down. Scraper bar is probably gone and it's been running on the bottom of the bucket.
Ask the seller to send a couple of good quality pics of the scraper bar area as well as an interior shot of the side of the bucket.
And not one chip of paint missing from inside the chute??
Run, don't walk away from it.(JMHO)

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #4 of 11 Old 08-23-2016, 07:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
It's another shoeless Honda with all the serrations ground off the augers. I'll pass. If they couldn't be bothered to make those minor adjustments they probably beat the tobacco juice out of it. Bucket is worn down. Scraper bar is probably gone and it's been running on the bottom of the bucket.
YES....!!!!
The blower "looks" kind of clean if looking at just the paint, but the auger and auger housing look GROUND DOWN.....!!!, not worth what they are asking for for someone that knows about them.
You can get a used HS624-HS724 in good shape with hydrostatic transmission for $600-1200 at this time of the year being patient.

post #5 of 11 Old 08-23-2016, 11:56 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
hsblowersfan, Did they ever make a non-serrated auger? I see the tiny skid shoes attached and I know they made different auger housing designs that made it hard to see if they were actually worn down. Is it old enough to be a model that didn't have serrated augers? I can see a small bit of scraper bar in the one pic, but that may only be the last bits of it It's a shame to have those great engines atop something that only has a few parts still easily available.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-23-2016, 05:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
hsblowersfan, Did they ever make a non-serrated auger?
They did make them for the HS622 but I think it's the only 2 stage model to lack of auger serration.

HS622

The auger serrations on the HS55, HS70, HS80 (and perhaps HS50), are not aggressive at all compared to the HSXXX and HSS series. You'll have to be looking for them to notice (but look how wide they are, a way of telling if they are ground is by looking at it, they would look narrower).

Here is an example of an HS80 auger serrations.

This is the HS50 (I think they are worn)

Here is an HSXXX for comparison

post #7 of 11 Old 08-23-2016, 07:11 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
hs, Thanks for the info. That sucks. Those blowers COULD have many more years left in them with parts support and some judicial use of skid shoes
I'm guessing Honda's run and throw so well, people don't notice the augers wearing. They keep running 'em until it clangs I've had neighbors run lawn tractors until the blades were almost non-existent, like they wore the entire cutting surface off to a stub. Main complaint was "it kind of clumps the grass now."

That hs622 seems like the COPO Camaro of snowblowers!

Last edited by jtclays; 08-23-2016 at 07:13 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-23-2016, 08:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 256
****, what is it with people abusing Honda OPE?

I've got a Honda mower a friend found at the dump. It was self-propelled, with a gearbox in the rear middle, and a shaft going to each wheel, with the shaft carried in a ball bearing in the height adjuster on each side.

When I got it, the bearing on the right side was trashed and the shaft was significantly worn. But on the left side, it looks like they ran it until not only was the bearing completely shot, but it wore through the shaft... completely!

A couple of ball bearings, a length of 1/2" round SS bar stock, and a couple of front wheels later and I had a nice no-longer-self-propelled mower.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 509
Thanks (Received): 680
Likes (Given): 3834
Likes (Received): 1474
Garage
For that kind of money you'd think the owner would read the manual or have previous knowledge that skid shoes need to get checked once in a while. It's just a shame to see them run into the ground like that.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-05-2016, 01:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 63
people and HONDA...

I've seen many a Honda motorcycle in deplorable condition that still ran well. It's the nature of the beast. Honda is known in the motorcycling community as the bike you just put gas in and ride! As far as design goes they can be rather conservative and stick with a design way past it expiration date. But their reliability is second to none.
It seems that this philosophy extends to the rest of their company offerings too. I had an early 80's Honda car that had 200,000 miles on it, everything still worked down to the most minor accessory, everything was electrical. It survived 20 central New York winters and all the salt they use on the roads before I couldn't get it inspected. Rust eat away the body, the CV joint boots were ripped for 5 years before the salt finally got to them, the roof rusted out so bad the sun roof wouldn't open but the motor still worked. While I wouldn't let this happen to my bikes or snowblowers I am guilty of not maintaining my cars, just hate working on them and didn't drive them much in the summer anyway.
The point is what ever Honda makes is perfect for the average Joe that just wants it to start up every time and go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page