post #1 of 8 Old 11-28-2016, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 6
New blower setup

Good morning all,

I finally received my new Ariens Deluxe 30 last week. This is my first snowblower and unfortunately I couldn't be home at the time it arrived.
When I got home, I noticed 2 scratches, one of which looked like it was touched up, one missing bolt and last but not least, bent handle bars. One side was 1/2" lower than the other.
I bought it from Lowes and I can see that was a mistake. I asked them to deliver the replacement un-assembled since I've lost all faith in them.
There is a great video on-line that goes through the assembly right out of the box that I'm sure that I can handle.
I also found a great video on how to inspect and lube the machine, they get into opening the access panel and checking the belts and lubeing the auger, etc. My question is do you think I need to do that to a new machine or is that a maintainance thing? Does a new machine, get lubed and checked from the factory? Do they align the housing and the scraper blade? Do they inspect the air in tires? I can't assume Lowes will do it.

I'm asking but I'll probably do it all anyways lol

Thanks in advance for your help
James

Last edited by Toooldforshoveling; 11-28-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-28-2016, 10:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
Its simple enough, just go through the set up instructions one by one.

After that follow the maintenance schedule and you will be good. The most time consuming part is greasing the augers so they don't get stuck on the shaft and that really is simple. I get the feeling most people forget/don't do that step!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Toooldforshoveling thanked for this post
post #3 of 8 Old 11-28-2016, 11:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Yeah, I'm surprised they even ship them assembled to start with! Wonder if you got a floor model.......? Anyway, just give it an eyeball when you get it. You will have to ad oil to the motor of course - it should ship with it. (People have missed that step!!) I like shoot a little oil/lubriplate on any cables for throttle and auger controls and run them back a forth to help ensure no rust develops on makes them sticky. Seems to help keep them smooth.

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-28-2016, 12:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 116
Garage
The axles going through the wheel hubs are not lubricated from the factory and will seize up during the first season due to moisture causing rust. The axles drive the wheels through a key way so be careful to not lose the keys. The spring clips have an e clip type washer underneath on only the right side (probably to keep the two part axle shaft together).

The gears and chain and hex shaft for the rubber tired drive mechanism are not noticeably lubricated either. Be sparing with oil and grease, especially on the zerk on outside right of chassis (covered with rubber cap).

To lubricate the auger shaft you need to remove the shear bolts so the auger shaft can turn to spread the grease from the zerk fitting. When tightening the shear bolts don't make them tight, allow the bolt to just turn with finger pressure.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #5 of 8 Old 11-28-2016, 02:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 4
Garage
My new Deluxe 24 shipped from the factory with plenty of grease on the augers; it was seeping out the ends. Axle shafts seemed to also be oiled/greased, but I added some to be sure. The oil in the engine just barely registered on the dip stick, so had to add that. There was NO bottle of oil provided with the machine.

I followed the instructions in the owner's manual and also downloaded the service manual and used it to guide me through the service steps so I could be sure that everything was ready to go.

Bob

Last edited by NVA4370; 11-28-2016 at 07:53 PM. Reason: No Oil included.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-28-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you very much all!
post #7 of 8 Old 11-28-2016, 08:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
James, sorry to come across like a dick, but your situation is exactly why I work with a dealer. Yea, I'm sure you got 0% financing, but it came at the expense of frustration and left you wondering what else is not correct.

Purchasing from a dealer will ensure everything is done correct, air pressures, to scraper bar gap. You can even specify to the dealer to have the scraper bar set to what you feel you want, 1/16", 1/8" or 1/4".

For example, I got my father a new Deluxe 30 with EFI 2 weeks ago. I handed over (13) $100 bills, traded in his 1983 ST1236. When we where done, I went to the blower and gave it a once over. Told the dealer to put in a 1/16" washer between the right wheel and the housing to help take out some of the side to side "play" it had. Asked him to gap the scraper to a 1/16". Told him I needed a quart of oil for the first oil change at 5 hours (something you need to keep in mind James). When he showed up to deliver said new machine (delivery was part of the negotiation) sure enough, the side to side play was gone, and he handed over a quart of oil. Being the the aluminum sheet sales, I had my .063 aluminum shims, and sure enough, they gaped the spacer to 1/16"

James, you got one h3ll of a machine there, to bad the freight forwarding monkeys beat the snot outta your investment. Again, I apologies if I came across as a dick.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #8 of 8 Old 11-29-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftoff1967 View Post
James, sorry to come across like a dick, but your situation is exactly why I work with a dealer. Yea, I'm sure you got 0% financing, but it came at the expense of frustration and left you wondering what else is not correct.

Purchasing from a dealer will ensure everything is done correct, air pressures, to scraper bar gap. You can even specify to the dealer to have the scraper bar set to what you feel you want, 1/16", 1/8" or 1/4".

For example, I got my father a new Deluxe 30 with EFI 2 weeks ago. I handed over (13) $100 bills, traded in his 1983 ST1236. When we where done, I went to the blower and gave it a once over. Told the dealer to put in a 1/16" washer between the right wheel and the housing to help take out some of the side to side "play" it had. Asked him to gap the scraper to a 1/16". Told him I needed a quart of oil for the first oil change at 5 hours (something you need to keep in mind James). When he showed up to deliver said new machine (delivery was part of the negotiation) sure enough, the side to side play was gone, and he handed over a quart of oil. Being the the aluminum sheet sales, I had my .063 aluminum shims, and sure enough, they gaped the spacer to 1/16"

James, you got one h3ll of a machine there, to bad the freight forwarding monkeys beat the snot outta your investment. Again, I apologies if I came across as a dick.
Thanks for the response (I didn't know about the 5 hour oil change), yes they gave me 0 percent financing but the funny thing is that Home Depot and Lowes are listed under Ariens as dealers. This is new and I think they are going to regret it in the future.
I opted to have them order me one in the box and I will assemble and check and grease and adjust it all myself. This will give me piece of mind and get me acquainted with my machine at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page