LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-04-2016, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Fast and Efficient blower

Hi all, I am looking to upgrade my snow blower this year and looking for some input. I hope to find a machine that moves and blows snow faster than my current 28 inch Craftsman. I love the Craftsman and I'll use that this year too. I have several driveways to take care of and want to be quicker if possible.
I'd like to keep the blower at 28", would more CC's simply do the job faster?
Should I look into 3 stage blowers, and do these really outperform our 2 stagers?

Or is it a brand to brand thing? (some faster than others?)

Sorry for the multiple questions, but as you can tell I have "the need for speed"...Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-04-2016, 05:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 214
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1693
Likes (Received): 591
well mark if you speed up the wheels you might overload the bucket on the craftsman. I use to have a craftsman 5.5/24 and if you looked down the chute ( machine turned off ) you could clearly see that the design wasn't good for moving snow, it had a small square opening which was smaller than the round opening on my toro 521. I though the toro would move more snow despite having a smaller bucket and sold the craftsman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1076.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	92978   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1078.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	92986  

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 17 Old 12-04-2016, 05:40 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 378
Likes (Received): 603
Garage
you dont mention budget, so lets assume you dont have one. a honda tracked machine would do well, an ariens with hydrostat would do well and a toro would also get the job done. all the above mentioned would also work very well with wheels and conventional trans, but hydrostats rule when you want to find the sweet spot for forward motion. jmo

you could also have some fun with your current machine.......bigger engine, bigger pulley, impeller kit.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-04-2016, 06:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 51
Yes, bigger, bigger, bigger on same frame is way I would go.

-efisher-
post #5 of 17 Old 12-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 69
What is the budget and what engine do you currently have in the Craftsman?
post #6 of 17 Old 12-04-2016, 06:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 62
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 94
Likes (Received): 135
Garage
Assuming your driveways are average and not particularly problematic then to go faster you need a more powerful engine to move more snow through the auger and impeller. You also need less parasitic loss through the transmission.

Some of the biggest and most powerful engines are the 20 ft lbs of torque in the 414cc Ariens AX and the 21 ft lbs of torque in the 420cc Briggs and Stratton. These engines are up around the 15hp mark.

The old style disc drive with wheels has the least parasitic drive loss so there is more engine power to drive the auger and impeller compared to the tracked and hydrostatic drive machines.

With the big engine you need a large diameter impeller, such as a 14" and a larger auger diameter will move more snow to the impeller. Snowblowers do not work well as snow plows so moving the snow from the front of the machine is key to getting the job done quickly.

Using the above criteria, the Ariens Pro 28" with wheel and disc drive would likely be your fastest snowblower to get your job done. The Ariens Platinum would not fit since the big engine only comes in a 30" bucket. Simplicity have a 420cc B&S in a 28" model I believe. Toro do not seem to have a big machine. I am not familiar with Honda.

There may be other machines available to fit your needs and budget.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #7 of 17 Old 12-04-2016, 06:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 20
Honestly, with your Craftsman, it really comes down to what year it was built to determine if it can be made "better"... Ones made by Murray are really throw-away, yet the higher-end offerings from MTD under the Craftsman name are worth the effort.

I redid a 1999 vintage Craftsman 28" last spring. It had a 9hp engine, trigger steering, beefy drive system, was REALLY well taken care of, but was just old and tired (code for worn to **** from working like a mule). I had enough when our first big snowfall was really wet and heavy and it just didn't have the oomph to deal with much (basically would bog down badly and choke on the thick stuff).

So I did my homework and come to find out that in most ways it was identical to bigger and more heavy-duty modern offerings from MTD/Cub Cadet/Craftsman/Columbia... ie, they used all the "good stuff" building it so it would last. The engine seemed to be the problem and I looked into it and found why it had no power, the exhaust valve was stretched because of them using a too-lean fixed jet carb for emissions purposes.

Then I found a 11hp shortblock brand new (was originally designed for a generator), so I went the FULL rebuild route. You can find the rebuild thread here so I won't go into details, but I figured it was more worthwhile to redo what I had than buy any of the current offerings, since any of the new stuff, with the same kind of design, is underpowered (mine is maxed out), built with inferior materials and built as a throw away.

Now, that is not to say that there aren't a lot of nicer, a LOT more expensive machines available, such as high end Ariens, Simplicity commercial, or even the vaulted Honda or Yamaha offerings. The 3-stage setups from MTDs brands seem to work OK, but primarily are for very heavy snowfalls since they kick extra snow to one corner out front, thus not being as "clean" on smaller snowfalls.

Personally, I loved all the features my machine had and decided to add-in everything else (such as electric chute control, high-output DC stator to charge an on-board battery and 12v start system as well as extra lighting) with the benefit of having built it myself to ensure that I properly lubricated things (the single-most contributing factor to MTD products having major failures) as well as making sure everything is powdercoated/painted/protected as good as possible to make it last as long as most commercial units. And, if I want to get more output, it is a simple pulley change on the output shaft and I can up the auger/impeller RPMs. I bought, but never installed an impeller kit because I don't like the fact that it basically wears into place, thus wearing off the powdercoat in the housing, inviting rust. I have a concrete drive and sidewalks, thus I don't expect too much wear in my situation.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-04-2016, 10:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
I went with upgrades on a older Ariens 32".. 3years or so ago and with 20hp honda/ impellor mod/ extra's like electric chute, pillow block bearings, ect. Full gallery of pics in archives. It has been flawless and blows 50-60 ft range (maybe more?) without a hiccup. It is overkill for sure but was a fun project and is a blast to use. I think it depends some on your desire to improvise too or just want it capable without the hassle. Any in depth mods you always run into issues it seems not expected and thus more mods too compromise the issue. At least for me it seems anyway. My mod had a good base to start (quality engine- time proven robust blower frame) so I knew it would pan out if I took the time too set it up right with least amount of issues once done. So far so good.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-04-2016, 11:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 19
What about toros snow master line? I know there only 24" but they claim to move snow faster..If i didn't buy my Ariens 24" deluxe I was considering buying one..

2017 Ariens 24 deluxe 921045
2005 Ariens 8526 932105(sold)
Ariens ss522 (sold)
post #10 of 17 Old 12-04-2016, 11:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 467
Likes (Received): 479
My vote would be a Honda HS or HSS928 (preferably HSS due to its larger impeller) or a Commercial Ariens 28 SHO model.
If it were available in US I'd suggest a Yamaha YT1028 as the #1 choice.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dag Johnsen liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page