post #1 of 6 Old 12-10-2016, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
Machine longevity

I recently joined the Forum but am astounded from some things I have witnessed.

From a recent posting about the H brand you tube clips regarding their brand here are the owners in all their new technology showing off their equipment. Like the guy who unburies his new machine from under a tarp and starts it up at full throttle and away he goes showing off his machines' ability to throw snow. then shuts down engine when at full throttle.

Me, I let my machines warm up before operation and cool down after use before shutting down at idle.

New generation knows more about you tube than machinery ABC's.

Maybe that is why I am still running blowers nearly 60 yrs. old.

Last edited by DriverRider; 12-10-2016 at 02:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-10-2016, 07:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 14
I can only speak for my newer Toro blower/mower in the fact they have no throttle control so they start up at full speed, so winding them down after use is not an option. My old MTD does have throttle control but I never let it sit and idle for very long after I'm done with it, maybe a minute to let a little snow melt off it. How ever as soon as it will run steady with no choke I start using it.

I believe I have read a couple threads somewhere that the thinking behind this is from lubrication. When the engine is at lower rpm, splashing is less. I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but that does make sense to me.

1996 MTD 5/22
2016 Toro 721 QZR

Last edited by DuffyJr; 12-10-2016 at 01:11 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-10-2016, 01:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 20
Yeah, there is a point where idling is minimum splash. But, on the other hand, with full synthetic oils I think the concern is much less.

I mean, honestly, a lot of larger small engines have the choke on the upper end of the throttle, thus you have to start them at WOT.

I do think there is a big difference between starting an engine at full throttle and letting it idle down to warm up and those that start a cold engine at full throttle and go to work with it in a cold state. THAT is really bad.

But, honestly, society doesn't want something to last. Everyone wants new, new, NEW! And the manufacturers know this.

They expect you to use something for 5-7 years and then you want new again. It is kinda crazy how people act.

I mean look at all the plastic being used in critical locations on a lot of stuff. They REALLY don't expect things to last 20-30 years. Just look at the new tubeless tires on the new Troy-Bilt units. How much you wanna bet in 7-8 years they start falling apart.

I mean just look at the powdercoating on newer snowblowers. If it isn't a Honda or Ariens it is garbage. They expect things to rust and thus they get people to upgrade. It doesn't take much to make sure things are done correctly and things will be functional and look great for many many years. But that doesn't sell new equipment on a tighter schedule. plus they REALLY don't want people selling off their old equipment, because that is "taking away a sale" from the new stock as far as the marketing types are concerned.

Greed and stupidity... The benchmark for a modern America.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-10-2016, 03:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
I agree with a warm up but shutting them down right a way is fine . Since they are air cooled engine , the higher the rev t, the better they cool . I took a small engine class and that is what the teacher said and I have also herd that from a dealer I work with

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #5 of 6 Old 12-10-2016, 07:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 659
Thanks (Received): 167
Likes (Given): 1034
Likes (Received): 1071
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRider View Post
I recently joined the Forum but am astounded from some things I have witnessed.

From a recent posting about the H brand you tube clips regarding their brand here are the owners in all their new technology showing off their equipment. Like the guy who unburies his new machine from under a tarp and starts it up at full throttle and away he goes showing off his machines' ability to throw snow. then shuts down engine when at full throttle.

Me, I let my machines warm up before operation and cool down after use before shutting down at idle.

New generation knows more about you tube than machinery ABC's.

Maybe that is why I am still running blowers nearly 60 yrs. old.
you must change the oil once in awhile too.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #6 of 6 Old 12-11-2016, 04:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 48
Garage
I also give them a short warm up before going to town. I idle them for a minute or so before shutting them down as well (while I brush them off). My engines don't give me trouble otherwise, except for the blown head gasket on my former sears tractor. I replaced that myself as those intec engines like to blow head gaskets...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page