post #1 of 22 Old 12-11-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 26
Garage
What Oil To Use?

What oil should I use in my new Toro. I was going to use synthetic auto oil, like Castrol, Valvoline, Quaker State etc.
Manual specs 5w30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-11-2016, 10:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 50
IMO, they are the same unless it's a new vehicle, or somekind of high performance eng.

-efisher-
post #3 of 22 Old 12-11-2016, 10:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
The brand is not all that important as is the 5W-30 grade. (although you wont have to look far to find someone to disagree with this statement).

Since it it brand new you may want to change the oil after the first 5 hours of operation. This is a break in oil change where in the first few hours of running you will generate extra metal particles in the oil. Some engine mfg suggest this or something like it. Even if your manual does not suggest it - it is not a bad thing to do. If you do this, use conventional 5w -30 for the break in oil change. What ever brand you have. Afterwards I would use synthetic 5w-30.

With synthetic you will get the benefit of easier starting in cold weather and added protection.

For another $2 or so I think it is worth it. Go for it!

What brand of engine is it?

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator

Last edited by Toro-8-2-4; 12-11-2016 at 10:57 AM. Reason: clarity
post #4 of 22 Old 12-11-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Snake Oil?

Due to recent changes in automotive motor oil formulations, it is recommended to avoid using automotive oils in air cooled engines.

What changed about automotive motor oils? *The allowable levels of Zinc and Phosphorus were reduced by about half in 2010 and thatís after they had already been reduced in years previous to 2010. *This reduction lowers the thermal conductivity and anti-wear properties of the oil. *Air cooled engines are impacted by this change much more than water cooled engines because air cooled engines depend on the motor oil to carry heat to cool the engine. *

Why was this change made to automotive oils? *When automobiles consume oil, these elements exiting through the exhaust can damage the carís catalytic converter, causing an increase in pollution emissions.

What about synthetic oils like Mobil One or Castrol Syntec? *If an oil is intended and marketed for road vehicle use then it falls under this regulation and even though it is synthetic it lacks the needed zinc and phosphorus levels to provide maximum protection for air cooled engines.

Are there synthetic oils formulated for small engines available? Yes, among the offerings, Kawasaki offers a synthetic blend motor oil and Toro offers a fully synthetic motor oil as does Amsoil. *We carry these products and also offer conventional non-synthetic oils formulated for air cooled engines.

Are there additives that can be used with standard automotive oil to increase its protection for air cooled engines? *Yes. *One such product is GMís EOS (Engine Oil Supplement) part # 88862586. *Our experience has been that itís less trouble and less expensive to just buy oil that has the right formula to begin with.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-11-2016, 11:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 124
post #6 of 22 Old 12-11-2016, 11:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 347
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1140
Run plain old dino oil in it for the first 5 hrs of op. than you can put that fancy oil stuff in.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 22 Old 12-11-2016, 11:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
I think for any machine you are starting at below freezing, esp if its close to zero*F, they syn oil will make starting easier, esp if you have to use a recoil starter. I use syn in all my 4 stroke machines. The extra cost is worth it just for the ease of starting.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-11-2016, 11:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 50
Well that's good to know, I've been using the advanced auto parts brand 10w30 (older tecumseh) they've recently been rebranded as valvolene. But now will try Ariens/toro/Honda brand oil

-efisher-
post #9 of 22 Old 12-11-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Pretty much what I thought.
The same thoughts as mentioned on other sites dealing with motors.
post #10 of 22 Old 12-12-2016, 08:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 14
My new Toro says to change it after the first 2 hours so check your manual as not to void the warranty, not sure they could even tell but why take the chance! I plan on changing mine at 2 hours then again after another 3 hours. At that time I may go full synthetic, currently using a blend.

1996 MTD 5/22
2016 Toro 721 QZR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page