Do I need a new Ariens Deluxe 24 or am I trying to justify a shiny new toy? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-11-2016, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Garage
Do I need a new Ariens Deluxe 24 or am I trying to justify a shiny new toy?

First of all, I'm not bashing anyone else's machine or questioning their brand loyalty. I'm jsut looking for opinions and advice regarding the reasoning for my decision not a Battle of the Brands.

I need a SB but do I really need a New Ariens Deluxe 24?

My heart condition is my main consideration. I need something that will get the job done without beating me to death. Making a few extra passes with a smaller SB will be less strain on my heart than using a larger machine that gets the job done quicker but is harder to handle.

I have good days and bad with my heart so I want a machine that my wife or nephew will feel comfortable using if I'm unable to do it.

I first decided on the Ariens brand because of the recommendations of several local landscapers/snow movers. I was told they're good machines with a good local dealer. I'm not saying other manufacturers don't offer machines as good as Ariens, I'm just saying I had several local pros tell me to go with Ariens.

I want a SB that'll handle 8 to 10+ inches of snow but still narrow enough to fit in my small garage.

Our current driveway is about 120' long and averages about 25' wide and all concrete or asphalt but this is a rental. I want something that'll do gravel too if we have it when we buy a house.

I like the idea of turning without using levers but I also like the idea of having control of the turn. I read about problems with Ariens' early Auto-Turn system but the relocated axle supposedly fixed the issues. Auto-turn seems like a robust design that will be easy to service when needed. (probably two days after the warranty expires)

As I understand it, the relocated axle makes the auto turn work better and provides better leverage for lifting the front of the SB but it also lets the front ride up while in use. I think I'd rather have better balance and have a machine that I can handle easier even if it means I'd have to go over some of my work more than once. Walking doesn't bother my heart as much as shorter more strenuous exertion does.

End of Driveway performance is a real concern for me, it seems like this could be one of the most challenging aspects of the job for me. I want enough power that it's not a major battle to break through without having to buy a larger machine. It sounds like the engine used on the 24 offers enough power.

This is a major investment for me and I'm not looking for the cheapest machine that'll do the work short term. I expect to use this SB 10+ years so I'm looking for long term reliability and performance at a fair price.

I decided to buy new based on the cost and condition of a used SB versus the warranty, features, and price of a new one. Solid used machines aren't cheap enough for me to sacrifice the warranty and features to save so little. The new axle location also seems to be worth the added cost to me. I looked at a lot of SBs listed on Craigslist comparing features and prices but all things considered I didn't think it would make sense for me to buy used if I was only going save a few hundred dollars.

My physical limitation is the true deciding factor, I just can't handle much physical exertion so I need a SB that'll get the work done and be easy enough for me to use.

Well, what do you think, is a new Ariens Deluxe 24 a good value for me or have I been seduced by the shiny paint and clever ad copy? What other machines should I consider under $1000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-12-2016, 12:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Received): 48
Garage
Around here Ariens are very popular. They are well made and if you need service, parts are down the street or someone is nearby who knows how to fix them.
I have long sidewalks by the road, so I need a machine that is tall enough to throw snow and to put the piles where I want to.

When the plow comes thru the driveway mouth could be 2' - 3' deep. Sometimes it's that wet sloppy stuff that a smaller engine works very hard to clear. Sometimes a little larger of a machine is the better choice.

So I always had a 28" machine for the longest time, upgraded to a 30" now a 36". Because of the road piles by the road, I need at least 9HP. Anything less and the machine bogs down by the road.

Will less HP work? of course, but I want to finish up without being outside any longer that I have to. I like a nice warm house and that finish line doesn't come fast enough when it's 10F outside with 20 mile an hour wind gusts.

So you need to consider your sidewalks and your plow piles if a 24" machine with a smaller engine is for you.

Just to add, my neighbor has a 24" machine. I always open the driveway for him because his machine won't throw it far enough. So his 2 car wide driveway becomes a 1 car driveway, unless I show up. I don't know the brand of his machine, it might be an old Sears unit.

Bob

Last edited by Ariens hydro pro; 12-12-2016 at 12:38 AM. Reason: added info
post #3 of 19 Old 12-12-2016, 05:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
I am just running this 1 up the flag pole. with your health issues. would it be better to farm that job out to someone else??????? because with any size machine there is always going to be a battle royal at the end of the drive way no matter what. those plow trucks can pick up crap from far back and drop it right in your lap. like hard packed snow and ice. 10-15 ft inwards so if I had a dodgey ticker that job would be farmed out in a new York minute. or I would get a truck with a plow on it and let the truck do the work while I stayed toasty warm in the cab. like I said I am just running that 1 up the flag pole to see if it flys in the sky.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 19 Old 12-12-2016, 05:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 38
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
The 24 deluxe is a great blower and would handle any job. But if I had heart trouble I would hire a plow guy.

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
post #5 of 19 Old 12-12-2016, 05:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 399
OR... buy the (a) blower, and pay a neighborhood kid to run it on the tough missions. You could still get out and play a bit when conditions are not so bad. Best of both worlds? Depends on what you can really handle I guess.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes YSHSfan liked this post
post #6 of 19 Old 12-12-2016, 08:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 6
Well, don't ask me...I just picked up a new 2017 model Deluxe 24, and so far, I like it! It's an upgrade from my 21 year old Toro 7/24, and, although we've not had much snow, it is a well made machine. Body is made in USA, and the AX engine gets good marks. I'm a fan of Ariens products - my FIL's 1970's era SB is still in use, and my Ariens log splitter hasn't missed a beat going on 5 years. And, I have a good dealer nearby for service.

I'm 68 years old. This machine will make clearing the snow so much easier. Don't think you'll be disappointed.

Regards / Mike
post #7 of 19 Old 12-12-2016, 11:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 4
Garage
I have a new Deluxe 24, but we haven't had any snow yet, so I can't say much about it. I have run it up and down the driveway to see how the Auto-Turn works and it seems to work great. Just remember to pull back a little on the handle on the side toward the turn and the Auto-Turn takes over with a nice smooth turn.

As concerned as you seem to be about the EOD pile, I'd recommend you look at the next level up, the Platinum 24 SHO. It has a larger engine and would probably handle the EOD stuff better than the smaller engine Deluxe 24. It looks like the SHO weighs a little bit more if that's a consideration.

Good luck

Bob
post #8 of 19 Old 12-12-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Thanks for all the responses. Having someone else do it has crossed my mind but I've always done my own work around the house, including all our automotive and remodeling work so it's kind of tough to admit you need help.

Buying the Deluxe and doing the easy work myself and hiring my nephew to tackle the tougher jobs would work. Maybe buying a single stage machine and hiring out the tougher work would work too. I just wonder when it gets bad how long would I have to wait to get dug out compared to a regular customer who has the light work done too instead of just calling when it's a real mess.

The idea I like best is having the machine and asking for help when it gets messy.

Thanks again for all the info and ideas.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-12-2016, 03:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 16
Is it actually bad for you to do the work yourself, as long as you make sure to take it easy?

Getting out and getting some exercise is a good thing?

I was also going to suggest the platinum to give you more oomph for then EOD, but they are 40 lbs heavier so is that still a win?
post #10 of 19 Old 12-12-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matto View Post
Is it actually bad for you to do the work yourself, as long as you make sure to take it easy?

Getting out and getting some exercise is a good thing?

I was also going to suggest the platinum to give you more oomph for then EOD, but they are 40 lbs heavier so is that still a win?
Yeah, exercise is a good thing and that's one of the reasons I want to do it myself but I have some really rough days and too much exertion can wipe me out. I just need to pace myself and not overdo it. If I do like you say and "take it easy" everythings good.

The Deluxe 24 is the max I can spend so I didn't even look at the platinums. I just figure if the 24 can't handle it i'll call for help.

Last edited by Eric; 12-12-2016 at 07:52 PM. Reason: remove redundancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page