Simplicity P1728e electric or lever throttle control - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-15-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
Simplicity P1728e electric or lever throttle control

My new machine has an engine mounted throttle control. This will not do as I do not look forward to reaching over the machine for adjustments. At first thought a remote cable and lever was the plan.

Design change now. Another option which would be way cool is electronic throttle which would require a battery and if I have a battery I might as well toss a 12V starter in exchange for the useless 120V IMO. A nice throttle toggle switch right next to one of the chute switches.

Not sure what route or how far to take but would be a summer project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7561f.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	93770  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-15-2016, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 765
Well, all those changes sound pretty bad to me, and would make the machine worse, not better...my opinion:

There is no need to adjust the throttle once the machine is working..you only need to adjust the throttle when you are starting the engine, and when finished and shutting it down..when it is blowing snow, the engine should be at full RPMs..

IMO, electric anything on a snowblower is worse than mechanical..a manual chute crank is far superior to an electric chute rotator, because electric switches and motors can break down, get wet, freeze up..but the manual crank will always work..and a 120 volt plug-in starter is usually far superior to a battery starter, because batterys can grow weak or fail, especially in the cold, but your house current will always be full power..

Only exception would be commercial use, or other uncommon home use where you might need to start the machine far from an outlet..in a case like that, a battery starter can be better. ( which is why many Pro series snowblowers have batterys, but consumer series have 120v starters) ..for the average homeowner use, the 120v starter is usually far superior.

But! Having given the "other side", it's your machine, not mine! . If these kinds of mods make you happy, then you should go for it.

Scot
post #3 of 4 Old 12-15-2016, 10:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 116
Garage
I only use full throttle because my machine operates so poorly at less than full throttle. The throttle is set to full for starting, running and when turning off the engine since I just use the key to cut the ignition. I do close the gas shut-off valve but not to stall the engine because I hate the sound and roughness of running out of fuel at full throttle under no load.

I have a 120 volt starter but don't use it. I would prefer a 12 volt battery powered starter which I would use all the time to start my machine, just like my car, so convenient. 12 volt batteries are not hard to maintain and are reliable for several years. Convenience will cost money and time, but no worse than my car.

There are some threads here that describe what needs to be done to upgrade to 12 volt battery starting.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #4 of 4 Old 12-16-2016, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
I work for a large commercial landscape company that has over two hundred fifty pieces of equipment from Caterpillar right down to the smallest gas driven water pump. Some equipment is highly specialized and the company covers the CT, MA and NY areas. We have remote controlled truck mounted "pony" engines where RPM, material feed and other functions are done both wired and wireless from 4cyl diesel down to 12hp B&S engines. The electric controls for those functions have come a long way and are very reliable.

So I have a unique perspective of what is out there and what works and what does not as I also maintain and repair all this equipment alongside the lead mechanic during the winter.

I have used the same three blowers for fifty years that are in my collection and was due an upgrade to the Simplicity for my later years. All Snowbirds, two from 1962 and my main one from 1963 the 263. An electric throttle control is just a natural progression which would compliment nicely the chute controls. Like it or not but that is the way the Industry is heading right down to EFI engine availability. Being a little bit ahead of the curve for once might not be such a bad thing.

Last edited by DriverRider; 12-16-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page