LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-17-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
Eyeglass wearers...What do you do?

I have to wear glasses because I'm near-sighted.I always wind up blowing while it's still snowing and the wind always seems to blow the snow coming out of the shute,right into my face.This covers my glasses with snow.

Am I the only one that this problem drives absolutely bat **** crazy?

If it's sunny out after a storm,I CAN remove my glasses and see well enough to blow snow.

More than likely,the answer is to live with it,but considering that there's some rather clever people hanging about these forums,I was wondering if someone had their own solution.

A snow-cab for the blower is out-I had one on another machine years ago and hated it.Wearing goggles over my glasses would only make me sweat and fog up.I ain't buying contacts again-hated them.

Just wonderin',thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-17-2016, 05:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 52
Ski goggles. Make sure to get the type for wearing over glasses. If you have any fogging, try using Cat Crap. Don't get it from a litter box. It won't work. Many ski shops have it or you can get it online. You rub it on lenses (glasses and or goggles) and wipe off with clean dry cloth to prevent fogging. Also be sure to put on glasses AND goggles before going outdoors and leave goggles on and in place to avoid fogging. You can even get ski goggles with a battery-operated fan for fogging.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jrom liked this post
post #3 of 17 Old 12-17-2016, 05:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C. View Post
I have to wear glasses because I'm near-sighted.I always wind up blowing while it's still snowing and the wind always seems to blow the snow coming out of the shute,right into my face.This covers my glasses with snow.

If it's sunny out after a storm,I CAN remove my glasses and see well enough to blow snow.

More than likely,the answer is to live with it,but considering that there's some rather clever people hanging about these forums,I was wondering if someone had their own solution.

A snow-cab for the blower is out-I had one on another machine years ago and hated it.Wearing goggles over my glasses would only make me sweat and fog up.I ain't buying contacts again-hated them.

Just wonderin',thanks.
I am also nearly legally blind without my glasses. I have contact lenses I can wear and this is not a bad option. Since you don't like contacts, you can get single day disposable contacts pretty cheep. You would only be wearing them every once and a while. I guess you have to decide which annoyance is more manageable. The problem I have with contacts is that my contacts are so strong that I can't see anything up close at all. If I need to make a repair or something, I have to put some reading glasses on over my contacts to see anything.

When I wear my glasses, I use this on them,
Sea Drops Scuba and Snorkeling Mask Defog

This does a pretty good job of keeping my glasses from fogging up. I then keep a cleaning cloth in my pocket to wipe off the snow when necessary.

I also a pair of ski goggles over my glasses if it is blowing particularly bad or is very cold. These have an anti fog coating and I use more of the sea drops every time I use them.
McNett OutdoorMaster OTG Over Glasses Ski Snowboard Goggles 100% UV Protection

The mask does fog up eventually and I do need to keep a cleaning cloth and the defog drops in my pocket to refresh them every once and a while. They do make anti-fog goggles that have fans or heating elements to defog like your car windshield but these cost $100-$150 and that's a bit too much for me compared to keeping a rag in my pocket and just dealing with it.

Contacts are probably your best bet, but again, pick you poison.

LMHmedchem
post #4 of 17 Old 12-17-2016, 06:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 342
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1031
Likes (Received): 175
I've had that happen so many times over the years I can't count.

For about the last 15 years I've used a good backpacking breathable/waterproof rain coat/parka with a hood big enough that allows a winter hat underneath and it extends to the sides enough to help during the big blows that come my way. I usually stop the blower and turn my head away.

If my glasses get 'er good, I usually take them off and clear them up at the exhaust. That may be stupid to some, but it works for me. It's also my hand warmer...and I hold my breath during the operation.

I haven't melted my lenses...yet

Honda HS828TAS (1991) Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-17-2016, 06:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 52
If you try goggles, make sure they're anti fog. Most will have a double lens (just like a double or triple pane window). Don't use a single lens goggle (like safety goggles) because they won't work. Yes, my goggle with the fan is relatively expensive but I only use it for skiing. It's a life saver for helicopter skiing, especially when the temperature was -42.

I have a cheaper thermal lens pair for the snowblower.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-28-2017, 09:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Face Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C. View Post

Just wonderin',thanks.
I also wear glasses -
I used a FULL FACE SHIELD on those windy days

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Firepower-Q...rd-Hat/4683141

BrooklynDaddy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Toro Powermax 826 - 250 cc (mod: 37772)
2012 Sears Craftsman 22" -179 cc (247.88779)
2003 Sears Craftsman 24" - 5.5 HP (536.887251)
post #7 of 17 Old 01-28-2017, 09:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 17
Anti-fog products? Maybe I'm old fashioned or have poor hygiene (or both) but all I do is spit on the inside of the goggles and move it around with my finger. That's also worked on my diving mask for decades.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-28-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDaddy View Post
I also wear glasses -
I used a FULL FACE SHIELD on those windy days

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Firepower-Q...rd-Hat/4683141
Interesting that you should mention this.I was in Lowe's just a couple of weeks ago looking for nothing in particular and decided before I left to try and find a face shield-I do a lot of angle/bench grinding.

They didn't have a single one in stock and I just checked all the stores within 60 miles of me and they show none in stock.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-28-2017, 10:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 9
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony P. View Post
Anti-fog products? Maybe I'm old fashioned or have poor hygiene (or both) but all I do is spit on the inside of the goggles and move it around with my finger. That's also worked on my diving mask for decades.

same here, was wondering when someone would mention this

cheap and it works, for diving mask that is, never thought about it for skiing goggles.

anyways, to finish up on tony's post, just rince with water and dry before putting them on

"Its not so much as to so little as to do with what everything is..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-28-2017, 01:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 23
drop of dish soap on glasses, no water, polish out

Last edited by 524SWE; 01-28-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page