Is the same blower at Home Depot a cheaper version? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-19-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Is the same blower at Home Depot a cheaper version?

You have probably heard the same stories as me, which is that Home Depot will get cheaper prices from the manufacturers who will slightly vary the models by reducing the quality of certain components. While the model number is the same, it may have more plastic where the same model from an independent shop would have metal.

Is this true?

Currently, I'm looking to buy the Toro SnowMaster 824 QXE.

The retail price is $949, Home Depot has it for $911.
I'll support the independent shop regardless as they'll probably match the price and in any case $38 isn't a deal breaker.

...but was wondering if there is any truth to those rumors. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-19-2016, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 361
Likes (Given): 152
Likes (Received): 804
No, its not true, its a myth.
I did some research on it a few years ago..
what is true is that some dealers might choose to not sell the lower-end models, which means they have higher quality machines overall,
but there is zero evidence that there has ever been different models made for dealers vs. big boxes,
they are all identical, the exact same models.

Its also true that snowblowers, in general, are probably getting "cheaper" (in price and in quality) over-all because of the Big-Box market..
because people gotta have stuff cheap..
but that also does not mean there are different models between dealers vs. Big Boxes..

you can read more about it here:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottyc...ens/Page2.html

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Stang liked this post
post #3 of 10 Old 12-19-2016, 05:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 24
KiterTodd, your going to love the 824qxe...that's the one I bought this year as well

Toro 824QXE SNOWMASTER

post #4 of 10 Old 12-19-2016, 06:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
No, its not true, its a myth.
I did some research on it a few years ago..
what is true is that some dealers might choose to not sell the lower-end models, which means they have higher quality machines overall,
but there is zero evidence that there has ever been different models made for dealers vs. big boxes,
they are all identical, the exact same models.

Its also true that snowblowers, in general, are probably getting "cheaper" (in price and in quality) over-all because of the Big-Box market..
because people gotta have stuff cheap..
but that also does not mean there are different models between dealers vs. Big Boxes..

you can read more about it here:

The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.

Scot
This is absolutely correct, but beware of the possibility that a big box store may not have assembled the machine properly or fine-tuned it as well as a dealer might. You might also ask the local dealer to give you their lowest price on one they have in stock. Although MSRP is $949, my local dealer offered me $849 when asked. Obviously, I bought it at that price. Worst case, I think your dealer would match the $911 price from the big box store.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-19-2016, 06:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 75
Thanks (Received): 181
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 626
I asked my Ariens dealer that I've known forever.....he was one of my high school students ......and he said that all of the HD machines were the same quality and price ...model for model as what he sells. I was sitting at the counter last week when a chill old Dude came in with a price list for the machines he was pricing out at HD...and wanted my friend to match their price......it was already the price he was selling them for.....Go with the Dealer!
post #6 of 10 Old 12-19-2016, 07:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 5
I think this myth started when John Deere started being sold at big box stores. They were (and still are) very low end models which are made for cutting your flat lawn and nothing more. They are a real John Deere just not his best. If you go to the dealer he will sell you one but it won't be his recommended tractor.

2017 Ariens 24 Platinum SHO
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jtclays liked this post
post #7 of 10 Old 12-19-2016, 09:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 37
Likes (Received): 51
Not quite the same situation as black friday tvs at walmart, same tv but cheaper quality sold just for black friday.

-efisher-
post #8 of 10 Old 12-19-2016, 10:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.fisher26 View Post
Not quite the same situation as black friday tvs at walmart, same tv but cheaper quality sold just for black friday.

-efisher-
It's a Walmart world,every one wants cheap! Then [email protected] and complain when they don't last,I can't afford top of the line,but I usually look for middle of the road at least..

2017 Ariens 24 deluxe 921045
2005 Ariens 8526 932105(sold)
Ariens ss522 (sold)
post #9 of 10 Old 12-20-2016, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.fisher26 View Post
Ahhh, see...this is the kind of stuff that has us skeptical about all big box stores.
It does go on! I'm sure in all the deals HD has worked, it has entered into some of their products as well but you just never know which.
In any case, based on reports here it doesn't seem like it's the case for snow blowers. Thanks for the feedback.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-20-2016, 11:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 37
Likes (Received): 51
I know when my local big box sells John Deere they buy it from JD dealer. (Dealer stickers are on the machines)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page