LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-20-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Recommendations for Newb

Hi all. I've been voraciously reading the forums. Great stuff. This will be my first REAL thrower. I have a five car wide driveway that is about 2.5 cars long. Additionally I have about 50 yards of sidewalk to do and other assorted smaller miscellaneous areas. I live in SE MI. We get decent snowfalls sometimes up to 10-12". Most snowfalls are less than 10. I get drifts and snow banks and snowplow piles at the end of my driveway. Not afraid to spend $$ on quality.

I've narrowed my search down to the Toro Power Max HD 1028 OHXE (28", $1799) or Ariens delux 28 sho ($1199). What's the concensus between the two? If people say the toro, why not get the ariens platinum 30 sho for the same price?

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-20-2016, 01:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 4
Tell us where you live, what type of driveway surface, and does it slope, etc.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-20-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I live in southest Michigan. Snowfalls up to 10". Most are around 6". Gentle sloped 5 car concrete. driveway. About 50 yards of level concrete sidewalk.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-20-2016, 01:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 219
Likes (Received): 134
Booma, what has happened to the real snow in MI? I lived the first 13yrs of my life just north of Detriot and all I remember was snow, more snow and then more snow...right up to June it seemed!!

Can you really buy the Ariens 28" SHO for $1200?

(I may ultimately bias my purchasing decision towards the dealer who can best service the equipment and has a solid reputation for doing so.)

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
post #5 of 7 Old 12-20-2016, 01:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 24
Hi,
You mentioned you don't mind spending money on quality, so I have to ask if the Honda 1332 is too much? That's pretty much your Ferrari of blowers.

All other blowers, toro, ariens, husky, pretty much have the same quality build, and you'll get completely different opinions depending on what the person owns. For example, I'm going to push for toro, simply because it's the one I have, and use....the one specific reason I'll push toro is their quick chute!! Some may argue that it'll break because it's plastic,and others will counter argue with its lifetime warranty. But no one will argue about how amazing it is to use!!!! trust me, you'll never want another crank chute again.

Toro 824QXE SNOWMASTER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Hanky liked this post
post #6 of 7 Old 12-20-2016, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I guess I should qualify my statement. I'm willing to spend reasonable money but not crazy money. Honda is out of my pride range. Looking to stay btw 1-2k.

As for real snow in southeast Michigan, I don't think we get like we did when I was a kid. That's up north.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-20-2016, 03:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 24
Same here in Toronto... I remember huge piles of snow across the whole city growing up, and people wouldn't even blink an eye...and now, the mayor calls in the army if we get over 10" at a time LOL. We barely got any snow last year, lucky if we got 10" all winter long.

Toro 824QXE SNOWMASTER

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page