LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 12-21-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 58
Open vs closed auger

In another project where I used a friction drive transmission from a MTD blower to convert a broken CVT driven Craftsman blower, I ended up with several other spare parts from that donor MTD machine. One of them is the open augers and gearbox that I saved. My older (and now backup) snowblower is a 10 year old 30" MTD machine that is very similar (and has the same gearbox) but that has the closed auger type. By that I mean those individually stamped out "one circle" metal disks mounted side by side on the auger shaft, three per side. A couple of those had broken from their hubs last year and I somehow managed to weld them back on, although I'm sure they're still not quite up to strength.

My question is this: would it be worthwhile to replace the closed augers on my backup machine with the open ones? Both machines are roughly the same age, with the closed auger machine being a bit newer. Why did they switch auger types? Better performance, or just a cheaper way of doing things? ie: would using the open auger improve it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-21-2016, 11:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 50
So instead of 2 auger halfs there's multiple on each side of gearbox correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 30 Old 12-21-2016, 11:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
I'm not totally sure I follow either, but it sounds like he's comparing a drum style auger to a newer open auger:

If that is the discussion, one thing that I just learned (I just bought an old Toro 521), the drum style auger was apparently made to limit the amount of snow to avoid overloading the engine. (https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-4-5-21-a.html)

Last edited by EdwardC; 12-21-2016 at 11:51 AM.
post #4 of 30 Old 12-21-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
No not the drum type, but this (closed auger)

There are 4 individual augers on that machine
post #5 of 30 Old 12-21-2016, 12:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
That's something I've never tried, but I would think it depends on whether the replacements would fit and the shear pin holes line up plus the auger shaft was long enough to accommodate the replacements. If so, I'd think it has potential option if desired. Even if the holes didn't line up, I'd think you could drill them through the auger rake center if you had to. I would not drill the auger shaft though.
post #6 of 30 Old 12-21-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I'm not too concerned with the actual task of fitting them on. I know how to drill whatever holes and all that.

I'm more interested in the actual merits of the actual auger types. What are the pros and cons of each type, and why did they switch from the open "ribbon" type (like in EdwardC's first photo) to the closed individual plate type seen now? Cost cutting measure? Actual improvement? I've read somewhere that the idea behind the open type is to mix air into the snow which would help prevent clogging. It used to be either drum or open augers. Drums seem to have disappeared (too costly?) and the closed type is the most recent. But more recent doesn't always mean better. Hence starting the discussion...
post #7 of 30 Old 12-21-2016, 01:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 8
Garage
You should try and let us know! I'd like to think that the manufacturers did some real testing instead of just cost cutting. Maybe the performance is the same, but is easier to manufacture?

One that might be interesting is to compare the auger rotation speeds, maybe one worked better at different speeds?
post #8 of 30 Old 12-21-2016, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 765
Guy,
im not understanding what you mean by "open" and "closed"..
I know which auger styles you are referring to now, but the words "open" and "closed" in reference to them arent making any sense to me.
they are the same concept, just in 2 pieces per snowblower, or 4 pieces per snowblower.

the "4-piece" augers, what Guy is calling "closed", are stamped rather than solid bands of steel, with two thin "halves" per auger piece, hollow inside, and are spot-welded(?) together.
im going to say its 99% likely they exist in that style only because they are cheaper to make that way, and cheaper in quality.
you only see them on the low-end models.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sscotsman; 12-21-2016 at 02:25 PM.
post #9 of 30 Old 12-21-2016, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
With the help of Google I was able to find where I first saw these terms:

Buying A New Snow Blower FAQS - Read This For The Truth - MovingSnow.com

Scroll down to where you see pics of open flight and closed flight augers. From reading that page, I get the impression that open is somewhat preferable. It's statements like sscotsman's that I'm looking for: "im going to say its 99% likely they exist in that style only because they are cheaper to make that way, and cheaper in quality. you only see them on the low-end models.". Only those with enough time and experience in this game could really know that...

Other observations are welcome, and I'm looking forward to drawing a general consensus from it all.

Thanks again!
post #10 of 30 Old 12-21-2016, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyl View Post
With the help of Google I was able to find where I first saw these terms:

Buying A New Snow Blower FAQS - Read This For The Truth - MovingSnow.com

Scroll down to where you see pics of open flight and closed flight augers. From reading that page, I get the impression that open is somewhat preferable.
interesting! thanks for the link..
I have never heard those terms before..

googling for those terms some more brings up a total of 6 references on the entire internet..
Four are on movingsnow.com, and two are referencing movingsnow.com.
which means that movngsnow.com is basically the only place those terms have ever been used..
I wonder where they originated?

Scot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page