LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-21-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
You ever notice..

How excited people get over starting their machines? It's like some miracle just happened. They prime their new machine once or twice and pull the cord and it fires up and they just go crazy. I don't get it? I can start an old 30+ year old Techumseh snow king with just 2 or 3 primes, full choke, and 1 pull.. So what's the deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-21-2016, 04:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 14
Come on, you can honestly sit there and say you don't get a little excited when she starts on the first pull after 30 years?

1996 MTD 5/22
2016 Toro 721 QZR
post #3 of 16 Old 12-21-2016, 04:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 26
Garage
Cool

If you're a gear head, it rocks!
IMO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
Sent from my desk top using a key board.
post #4 of 16 Old 12-21-2016, 04:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
If you're a gear head, it rocks!
IMO
It's almost as good as hearing a Harley idling,some day when I can afford one,I'm going to get a Harley,I could just sit and listen to it chugging along!!! A old Ariens,or really any older machine almost as good,almost..

2017 Ariens 24 deluxe 921045
2005 Ariens 8526 932105(sold)
Ariens ss522 (sold)
post #5 of 16 Old 12-21-2016, 04:43 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
Have you ever looked on CL for small engine equipment and seen what people consider "excellent condition?" It is a frickin' miracle these things start I've bought and placed several snowblowers for friends and neighbors that were "always run with premium, always used stabilizer, always stored indoors, always lubed," that were miserably neglected. One whiff of the gas tank tells you the carb is gonna be a snotfest. I see it every year at my parents place on the lake in the spring. Huge back up at the public access. Stop to help some folks and their story is always the same. Their boat/sea-doo has never had anything but the best service, but it can't catch a compression stroke to save itself. Forgot to take off tie down straps, no plug and filling with water, no key??????????, no gas can for the pontoon.
All experts in how to take care of equipment
post #6 of 16 Old 12-21-2016, 04:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 269
Likes (Given): 371
Likes (Received): 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8thepackers View Post
It's almost as good as hearing a Harley idling,some day when I can afford one,I'm going to get a Harley,I could just sit and listen to it chugging along!!! A old Ariens,or really any older machine almost as good,almost..
And I just sold mine...

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #7 of 16 Old 12-21-2016, 05:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 0
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtclays View Post
Have you ever looked on CL for small engine equipment and seen what people consider "excellent condition?" It is a frickin' miracle these things start I've bought and placed several snowblowers for friends and neighbors that were "always run with premium, always used stabilizer, always stored indoors, always lubed," that were miserably neglected. One whiff of the gas tank tells you the carb is gonna be a snotfest. I see it every year at my parents place on the lake in the spring. Huge back up at the public access. Stop to help some folks and their story is always the same. Their boat/sea-doo has never had anything but the best service, but it can't catch a compression stroke to save itself. Forgot to take off tie down straps, no plug and filling with water, no key??????????, no gas can for the pontoon.
All experts in how to take care of equipment
CL is the dumping ground for out dated, over priced, abused goods IMO. You can find a good deal occasionally.

Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
Sent from my desk top using a key board.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-21-2016, 05:09 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 592
Garage
......when theres 2 feet of snow in the driveway, and i HAVE to get to work, it dont matter if its a 2016 Honda or a 1967 Ariens.......if it starts im excited.....if it finishes the job im ecstatic !

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes jrom liked this post
post #9 of 16 Old 12-21-2016, 05:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
......when theres 2 feet of snow in the driveway, and i HAVE to get to work, it dont matter if its a 2016 Honda or a 1967 Ariens.......if it starts im excited.....if it finishes the job im ecstatic !
This! It's not the excitement of the motor starting, it's more about being able to get rid of that pesky snow without having to fiddle with the machine for an hour trying to find out why it won't start, lol!

The other thing is that these small engines can be somewhat enigmatic sometimes in how they work (or rather refuse to work). Unlike a car, which will generally send you audible signs (and codes) of something being wrong for a good long time before failure, these small engines can run on a Tuesday and refuse to start or run properly on a Wednesday... so, each time you start it and it cooperates is somewhat of a good day, lol!

I had/have an old Stihl 034 chainsaw that my father and I abandoned in the back of a shed at my parents' place for many, many years... close to 10, probably. When I moved in 2014, I decided to take that chainsaw along and, to my surprise, I noticed that it was stored all these years with fuel in the tank (oil/gas mix). I was certain that the carb and perhaps other parts were shot because the saw had a completely seized recoil (wouldn't budge an inch when pulled), so I went and spoke to a guy from a small engine repair shop about having it serviced - he wanted $100 to "look at it", plus whatever parts he'd have to change, which would probably be a few. Thanks, but no thanks... and so the saw remained untouched in my shed for an extra year, as a "to do later" project.

One day, having nothing to do on a nice summer day, I decided to take a crack at it and so I tore the chainsaw apart on my patio table, removed the carb and disassembled/cleaned it with gas and a brush and also removed the spark plug to put some clean gas inside the piston and get it cleaned by pulling the recoil (or attempting to, as it was seized initially). The gas dissolved all kinds of gunk (old 2 cycle oil, varnish and carbon) from both the piston and the carb and also allowed the saw's recoil to start functioning again (I took the recoil apart too and greased it, lol). I replaced the spark plug, put fresh gas/oil mix in the tank, put the saw in the start position and pulled the recoil cord... it started right up, like the day it was new!

It is an old saw, but that feeling right there was priceless.

Last edited by 762mm; 12-21-2016 at 05:58 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-21-2016, 06:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8thepackers View Post

What if Ariens did a Harley Davidson edition like Ford did with their F150?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page