Old 12-23-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Poly shoes with 2" bolt spacing?

Hi folks -

I have a 2002 Craftsman 9HP (model 536.887990)

Need to replace the skid shoes. I'd like to replace with a poly/plastic type - but having trouble finding any that have 2" bolt spacing (best I can tell, I'm measuring and it looks to be exactly 2" on this blower)

I realize there are "universal" poly shoes - aka Arnold shoes I see at home depot and Amazon, etc.

But my housing has a bit of an indentation where the shoe fits, and ideally doesn't accommodate this longer shoe. I could probably make work but not ideal as I'm sure to get the bolts snug it will be bending the shoe.

Many of them don't label the bolt spacing - but I'm assuming most seem to be 2-3/8".

I've seen Ariens poly skids that look awesomely beefy, but not in 2" spacing (only 2-3/8)

somebody MUST make a poly shoe made specifically for a 2" spacing!??

And quite frankly - even if I had to resort to the good old metal shoe - any suggestions for finding good ones for 2"? I read the Sears parts (perhaps this is also Murray?) replacement one doesn't last very long.

Any guidance greatly appreciated!

Best -
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2016, 08:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 114
Likes (Given): 126
Likes (Received): 266
I actually made some for my girlfriends Toro 521 which also has indents on the sides so I just used a piece of 3/16 plastic and drilled 2 holes 2" apart that fit into the indents so now the skids are sitting nice and flush.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 14
Here is a link to some that are 2" on center. They say they are for a Toro but take a look and maybe call if you have to.

Robalon A105BD Snowblower Skid Shoes

1996 MTD 5/22
2016 Toro 721 QZR
Old 12-23-2016, 08:57 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 303
John Deere and Murray have models with 2" check snowblowerskids.com has them I just put them on a Murray built Craftsman. Some require washers or spacers to get away from indents in the bucket sides. Our project did not require the spacers, nor would I pay $10 extra for washers.
Specifically ASC2475-A on their "order" page are 2" centers.
Robalon has them also, can't find my bookmark, but the real JD 826 had 2" centers.
Definitely stay away from any OEM Murray/Craftsman shoes..........really. they flat out suck.
Murray shoe vs snowblowerskids.com

This was for an 11hp. 30" "Craftsman" blower. Clearly a Murray build. Anytime you find parts for a blower that have links or a part # ending in MA it's a Murray.

Last edited by jtclays; 12-23-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 522
Thanks (Received): 690
Likes (Given): 3912
Likes (Received): 1505
Garage
If you couldn't find stock poly skids with 2" spacing it would be easy enough to drill them yourself or find a friend to. If you had a router that would work slick.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 293
You might have to add shims behind the shoes to take up the slack and allow them to sit flush against the bucket without bending them when you tighten.

The armorskids shown above (steel) are available with shims from the supplier, but if you want to use poly skids, then you would need to make up some sort of shims of the right thickness, and large enough to provide enough support behind the shoes.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 12-23-2016 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
I actually made some for my girlfriends Toro 521 which also has indents on the sides so I just used a piece of 3/16 plastic and drilled 2 holes 2" apart that fit into the indents so now the skids are sitting nice and flush.
The OEM skids for the Toro 521 (I also own one) are hands-down the most poorly designed skids ever.They aren't curved up in the front and they catch on everything possible.I installed new ones last year,when these are shot(it doesn't take long) I'll probably make my own,as well.Anything I come up with can't be any worse than the OEM skids.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 114
Likes (Given): 126
Likes (Received): 266
These are the skids I made for it, Grant it I DO work in a machine shop so have a little access to some pretty fun machines.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-28-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks all for the replies and great ideas. I think the Robalon A105BD are exactly what I'm looking for - perfect!

I would not have found them without this forum.

Thanks so much. If they are good quality (they seem like they might be) - I might order a second pair to have on hand, since they are seemingly only available at very limited locations.

Thanks!
Brad
Old 12-28-2016, 10:21 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 303
Just FYI, I had them on my old JD 826 and I found they needed a star washer even under the nylock nuts I used. The stuff is pretty slick and they walked a bit until I added the washers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in