Best Snowblower for Gravel packed snowbank? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-25-2016, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
Best Snowblower for Gravel packed snowbank?

The plow leaves a mess at the end of my driveway everytime it snows. Wet, hardpacked gravel filled snow the worst. Very hard on my Honda. Thinking old school single stage type unit. neighbour had one and it appeared to do the job. A tough old single stage unit. I had an old Craftsman track unit that worked until it wore out. The Honda is too expensive to put through that abuse. All thoughts appreciated. Not getting a 4 wheeler with plow. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-25-2016, 01:35 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
grab an older ariens 10000 series unit, best thing i can think of that will hold up although you may want to upgrade the tires. they will hold up through a ton of abuse
post #3 of 8 Old 12-25-2016, 06:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 31
Likes (Received): 227
Use the Honda - that is where they shine. Then, in 30 years, buy another.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-25-2016, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 522
Thanks (Received): 690
Likes (Given): 3912
Likes (Received): 1505
Garage
I'd try and get a single stage with a metal auger. With the gravel mixed in I'm thinking the single would have less of a chance of jamming on you. I'd be looking for one without the serrated augers as that would just be another place a rock could get stuck.

Or you could take the time to line the impeller housing and chute with plastic and add an impeller kit to make sure a chunk of gravel doesn't get lodged in there. I'd think that it jamming or tearing up the housing would be the main concern.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #5 of 8 Old 12-25-2016, 10:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 27
Garage
Cool

The most cost effective would be a shovel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Let It Snow
Toro 928 HD OHXE
Sent from my desk top using a key board.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-25-2016, 12:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsonly2002 View Post
The plow leaves a mess at the end of my driveway everytime it snows. Wet, hardpacked gravel filled snow.......
Heck,I'd be happy if the plow guy left only gravel for me,but this joker around here leaves rocks the size of my fist.All of my two-stage blowers can deal with gravel,no problem.

He won't use shoes on his plow and he doesn't have the bloody thing set up correctly-the plow is angled too far forward and it rips the rocks out of the road.

His plow bounces and bangs along, you'd think he'd get sick of listening to that.He also can't figure why the bulbs in his plow lights have to be replaced way too frequently as well as his his cutting edges.I tried explaining this to him but he's dumber than a box of bolts.

I use one of those big snow scoops to remove the snow and rocks along the edge of my property for the first few storms until the road freezes up and gets a good layer of snow pack on it.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-25-2016, 01:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 19
I live across the street to a dead end street,and the snowplow will back down the dead end street,then he will push the snow down the dead end street and push it up on my front lawn..I've tried to catch him,but they usually do it before I'm up,or after I went to work...so in the spring I have to patch my lawn where he tore up the grass...i guess I'm going to call and complain to the DPW supervisor...

2017 Ariens 24 deluxe 921045
2005 Ariens 8526 932105(sold)
Ariens ss522 (sold)
post #8 of 8 Old 12-27-2016, 11:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Received): 98
My experience with the plow drivers is... the best thing is the talk with them. I talked with our plow driver maybe about 5 plus years ago, if not longer. I asked him about a few things. He treats us EXCELLENT! I can not thank him enough on how he handles our street, at least our side... He is also our road patch man and leaf picker upper, so... he knows our street really well. It helps to be nice. Calling the city I think is pretty much worthless. Talk to the source.

Get up a little bit earlier that one time. Once you do it, it will take care of a lot of head ache down the road. Providing he is a nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8thepackers View Post
I live across the street to a dead end street,and the snowplow will back down the dead end street,then he will push the snow down the dead end street and push it up on my front lawn..I've tried to catch him,but they usually do it before I'm up,or after I went to work...so in the spring I have to patch my lawn where he tore up the grass...i guess I'm going to call and complain to the DPW supervisor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page