My new 2 stage doesn't throw slush very far but I'm still so happy! - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-25-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Garage
My new 2 stage doesn't throw slush very far but I'm still so happy!

My new Ariens Deluxe is my first experience with any kind of motorized snow moving equipment. I was worried about getting a two stage over a single stage because of all the complaints I read about the poor performance of two stage SBs in slushy conditions.

What a difference. I can throw light snow across the yard into the neighbor's driveway if I wanted to but I can barely throw slush out of my driveway into my own yard. It barely throws it 8ft.

But I couldn't be happier!!!!

I just make a few extra passes, clear the chute a few times and never have to lift a single shovel of the stuff. Priceless

Last edited by Eric; 12-25-2016 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Tags were showing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-25-2016, 01:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 90
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 306
Likes (Received): 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
My new Ariens Deluxe is my first experience with any kind of motorized snow moving equipment. I was worried about getting a two stage over a single stage because of all the complaints I read about the poor performance of two stage SBs in slushy conditions.

What a difference. I can throw light snow across the yard into the neighbor's driveway if I wanted to but I can barely throw slush out of my driveway into my own yard. It barely throws it 8ft.

I just make a few extra passes, clear the chute a few times and never have to lift a single shovel of the stuff. Priceless
I usually try to point the blower into a pile of dry snow to clear it out before it plugs up , usually do 1 or 2 passes on the driveway then the EOD snow so I have lots of salt free snow to finish up with to clear it out good.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #3 of 17 Old 12-25-2016, 01:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 19
Quote:

What size Ariens do you have? I just got a brand new Ariens 24 deluxe,I've only got to use it once,snow was kinda light and fluffy,I guess I'll have to wait and see how it does in The heavy slushy EOD stuff

2017 Ariens 24 deluxe 921045
2005 Ariens 8526 932105(sold)
Ariens ss522 (sold)
post #4 of 17 Old 12-25-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8thepackers View Post
What size Ariens do you have?
Congrats on the new SB. I just got a new Ariens Deluxe 24 too. I love it except for two small details, the axle could use a lock up for clearing rough surfaces and I think the interlock would be more functional if if the drive lever could released instead of the auger lever. I'd like to be able to rotate the chute on the fly without having to reach across the dashboard from the far side. Even though I have a few small complaints about the machine it didn't take me long to figure out it beats shoveling!

In the EOD and other heavy areas the engine changes to a deeper tone, sounds like it's getting lugged down, but it just keeps one truckin' along. I don't know if that's normal but I hit the big stuff in smaller bites anyway so it isn't really an issue.

Last edited by Eric; 12-25-2016 at 03:06 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-25-2016, 03:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 19
It's so new and shiny,hate to get it dirty...but like ya said beats shoveling!!!

2017 Ariens 24 deluxe 921045
2005 Ariens 8526 932105(sold)
Ariens ss522 (sold)
post #6 of 17 Old 12-25-2016, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
I usually try to point the blower into a pile of dry snow to clear it out before it plugs up , usually do 1 or 2 passes on the driveway then the EOD snow so I have lots of salt free snow to finish up with to clear it out good.
Thanks for the tips. I have a basic routine figured out but your suggestions will fit right in and help a lot.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-25-2016, 07:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 8
I put an impeller kit onto my old Craftsman and it worked better in slush. Did not put one on my Honda as I did not want to modify a costly blower.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-25-2016, 10:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Welcome Eric and congrats for your new SB.
As I say this I also would recommend an impeller kit and you would ever think going through slush.
It is simple to install and very efficient as you can even blow water with it.
Check the much previous posts on it or PM me if you want help.

Good Luck

Norm

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-26-2016, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normex View Post
Welcome Eric and congrats for your new SB.
As I say this I also would recommend an impeller kit and you would ever think going through slush.
It is simple to install and very efficient as you can even blow water with it.
Check the much previous posts on it or PM me if you want help.

Good Luck

Norm
Thanks Norm,

I watched some of the impeller mod videos on youtube at least six months before I ever thought I'd need a SB. Funny how variable geometry turbocharger videos led to snowblower impeller mods but that's the joy of youtube. It seems like it would be a standard factory install not an aftermarket solution but it's probably a liability issue for Ariens. I'll most likely wait until the warranty has expired before I modify the impeller but I plan to do it eventually. I'm sure they'd deny a warranty claim because of the modification so I'm a little gun shy. I envy the guys with the money and guts to modify a new vehicle or piece of equipment but I just can't do it so I'll have to put up with it this way a couple of winters. Moving water would be great too. The blacktop here is the worst. We have puddle in the back that gets to be 12-15 ft across and one out front that gets to about 10 ft wide.

Thanks Again
post #10 of 17 Old 12-26-2016, 06:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 16
Quote:

Yeah at least it's throwing it and not clogging.

My first experience with snowblowers was last weekend with my Toro Snowmaster 824. It snowed 5 inches then rained for several hours at 50 degrees. By the time I got home to clear the driveway there was 2 inches of slush left.

The Snowmaster just kind of spit the soup a few feet, but it never clogged. It just kept spitting, I kept pushing, and the driveway was clear. It worked better the faster I went.

I haven't tried my ariens yet. I couldn't dare drag it out in those condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page