LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-26-2016, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 18
Saw a sad snowblower sight today

I frequently pass by a metal recycling yard in my town and occasionally see a relatively new looking lawn tractor that was sadly dropped off for scrap, not often but saw it more than once, it's more common to see push mowers or older lawn tractors.

So today I go by there on my way home from running errands and I spy an Ariens Sno-Thro, looked clean and I thought it said ST724 in the shadow (outline) lettering on the panel between the handles with the panel being black and has the thin horizontal stripes but it seems the 24" came as 8HP not 7 so not sure exactly which model it is.

The saddest part is that I don't have a truck, trailer or even a vehicle suitable to tow a trailer (my car is still under warranty and the manual explicitly states that towing is not recommended so any hint of a hitch may likely void the powertrain warranty). The place was closed today but it may be possible to buy stuff from them, just hope someone can save it.

I suppose it would be more upsetting if it was dumped off due to bad gas.

2003 Snapper I55224 - 5.5HP Tecumseh OHV OHSK55 (195cc)
2016 Toro Snowmaster 724QXE - Loncin 212cc, 2017/18 Toro PowerMax 724OE - Loncin 212cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-26-2016, 07:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
They did make an ST724.

You can't think of anyone with a pickup to help you get that thing?If it's worth taking,give some kid with a truck a 20-spot to help you.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-26-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It sits behind the perimeter fence off the road so I don't know how complete it is, didn't notice anything glaringly missing. Don't know of anyone personally and that's if the place will sell it since they pick scrap up with a magnet and dump it into a truck to haul off . I don't know if they would sell it for the price they paid the scrapper or raise the price.

The other problem is I'd have to store it at my mother's and when I mentioned to her I had seen a local CL listing for a running old Yard-Man Snow Bird for $40 she made it obvious that she wouldn't be too crazy about me starting a "snowblower collection" lol.

Stored at her house I have 2 vintage push mowers I want to start restoring, an NOS Sensation a local shop had, plus her regular push mower, 2 vintage lawn tractors (one of which is one my grandfather bought new when I was 9 in 1978, still use it on occasion), a new one for regular use, a 40 or so year old Snapper RER which was her regular mower for the last 12 years until the new tractor. And a new Snowmaster to clear the driveway.

Looking at it now, I don't blame her I guess, I got lots of stuff.

2016 Toro Snowmaster 724QXE - Loncin 212cc, 2017/18 Toro PowerMax 724OE - Loncin 212cc
post #4 of 8 Old 12-26-2016, 10:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 90
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 306
Likes (Received): 137
You need 1 more then you will have enough for a calendar. But then a lot are 18 months now so a few more you need.

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD
post #5 of 8 Old 12-27-2016, 07:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
One of the local scrapyards in our town is happy to sell stuff to the public.. even if they sold that to you for $10 they'd make substantially more than the price of the steel if they crushed it. Give them a call, they might even have a truck going around making pickups... maybe they'd drop it off for a price?
post #6 of 8 Old 12-27-2016, 08:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Yeah - I have seen many a similar sad sight at our scrap yard...... like new tractors and mowers too....... :>( what a waste. We are a throw away society for sure.

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-27-2016, 09:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 108
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 252
YUP the guy I just picked up my 1027 had a 724 sitting there too that he said if I didnt want the 1027 he would sell me the 724 cheaper, Not a bad looking machine but I wanted the one I got.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-28-2016, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Went by there again and don't see it around, it wasn't on the piles or in the general vicinity. Maybe someone picked it up after all. There are a few locals here that fix up and sell used OPE from their homes so it could be that even some of the local scrappers fix and sell stuff too.

I don't know of the company driving a truck around to pick up stuff, it's a local steel company but I see pickup trucks overflowing with scrap, SUV with a water heater in the back and all kinds of stuff lined up at the scale all the time.

My neighbor used to collect scrap a few years ago and he had this Schwinn 10 speed bike for sale at his yard sale, told me he picked it from the trash but didn't have the heart to scrap it because it was in good shape.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page