LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-27-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Has anyone tried the YARDMAX two stage?

Hi first time poster here. I tried to search but didn't find any discussion on this particular two stage snow blower. YARDMAX YB5765 Two-Stage Snow Blower, 6.5 hp, 196cc, 22"
I'm debating if I should give this a shot at $400, it has an loncin engine.

What do you guys think? At this price range, would you rather just get a single stage. I'm located in the NYC area with a one car driveway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-27-2016, 03:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 24
I've had my share of experience with a two stage 5hp 22" MTD, and it just sucks. Absolutely no power, or throwing distance. I always had it serviced annually, so I know it was always running well, but it just had no power. I'd recommended a single stage for just a one car driveway. I saw many people with more success working a single stage over me with my two stage. I know you said you were looking at a 6.5hp, but I still think a single stage would be effective for you

Toro 824QXE SNOWMASTER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks thisnismine thanked for this post
post #3 of 12 Old 12-27-2016, 03:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 278
Kinda depends - those Loncin's are pretty nice little Honda knock off's. $400 isn't to bad for a new machine - and it will probably perform just fine. Me personally, I'd look for a nice condition older quality machine fo r $300 range...... although you want to do it in the summer ideally. It depends on how much wet heavy snow you get and what the plow guy leaves you at the end of your driveway. Most of the time I prefer my SS unit - but every now and then the EOD is to much for them..... I live on a busy street that gets plowed a lot.

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #4 of 12 Old 12-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 352
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 787
Hi Thisn,
Welcome to the forum!
and congratulations! you are the first to find a brand-new 100% made in China brand name this winter!
I will go ahead and add it to the running list in this thread:

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...ade-china.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Updated list!
the Chinese brand names are getting so numerous, I have now put them in alphabetical order!
Below is copied and pasted from previous posts, with updated names:

Updated list..some new 100% Chinese brand names have come to light..
List as of December 2016:

Snowblower bodies still made in the USA (everything except the engine):
All Ariens and Ariens Sno-Tek.
All Briggs & Stratton, Snapper, Simplicity, Brute, Murray.
Probably all Husquvarna/Poulan.

Most MTD's still made in the USA, although perhaps not all.. I believe MTD might be importing some 100% Chinese models for their really low end..Or brands like Craftsman is importing them, not MTD..its hard to know for sure what it going on..its best IMO to just avoid MTD names all together. (MTD, Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Yard-machines, Yardman, most Craftsman)

Toro moved 2-stage snowblower production to Mexico in 2013.
Toro now has (as of 2014 model year) snowblower bodies made in Mexico, with engines made in China. No Toro 2-stage snowblowers are made in the USA anymore. (all 2-stage snowblower engines, on all brands except Honda, are now made in China.)

If you want a 100% Made in the USA snowblower, the entire unit, the snowblower and the engine both, there is one remaining choice..
Honda! (single-stage only)
Here is the update on Honda for 2016:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If you want to add Honda:

• All Honda single-stage machines (3 models) are 100% manufactured (including the engine) at Honda's plant in Swepsonville, NC
• Honda 2-stages machines (10 models) are also made there, but the engines are built at a Honda plant in Thailand.
• All snow blowers built at the Honda plant in Swepsonville are further exported to Canada, Europe, and the U.K.
• Honda single-stage snow blowers are the only ones sold in the USA that are 100% made in the USA
• Honda snow engines are only available on a Honda snow blower. Honda does not sell their snow engines to any other manufacturer.
And below are the known brand names that are 100% made in China..these machines should be avoided at all costs!
never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never
never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never buy one of these:

Amico
Beast (Home Depot)
DEK (Sears)
Echelon
GXi Outdoor Power
Huskee
Jet Moto
Mansfield
Powerland
Power Smart
PowRcraft
Pow'R'kraft
Snow Beast (Home Depot)
Snow Joe
Stanley
Sunsay
Tao
Tao Tao
World Lawn
Visita
Yardmax
Yongkang
Yongkang Visita

There are probably more..
(many of those brands also make mowers and other products..I wouldnt buy anything made those brands)
never never never buy one of these! Here is some reading about the quality you can expect if you do:

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...two-stage.html

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...dy-broken.html

Amazon customer reviews of a powerland model:

And Amazon customer reviews of Stanley model..there is ONE 5-star review, from the manufacturer!
and four 1-star reviews, from actual owners of the machine:
http://tinyurl.com/luf2c24
(update, Amazon removed the 5-star review that was from the manufacturer! good for them..now only real customer reviews remain.)

Scot

Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Grunt, thisnismine thanked for this post
post #5 of 12 Old 12-27-2016, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69cat View Post
$400 isn't to bad for a new machine
it is bad if you are spending $400 for a useless piece of junk that is essentially pre-broken when its brand new.
which most of these are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69cat View Post
and it will probably perform just fine.
maybe, if you are really lucky it will work fine for the first one or two uses, before issues begin.

Past experience by many buyers says: just don't bother, the low cost is SO not worth it.
yeah, its cheap..So was the Yugo..same concept.

Scot

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, 69ariens liked this post
post #6 of 12 Old 12-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
to SBF thisnismine

The big advantage is it's new and it has a warranty. The 6.5hp on a 22" should be a good match and not leave you wanting. The question is who would you take it to if it needed work or are you able to handle most repairs yourself ??
That, and where do you get parts for it ??
These are all good things to know before you buy it and before you need them rather than when it's sitting in the garage with a broken thingamabob and no one to take it to and no where to get one from.

Most of us will likely advise you to pick up an older, better built used machine but that usually means you need to be able and willing to do some repairs and maintenance yourself.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #7 of 12 Old 12-28-2016, 05:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 8
Depends on your level of knowledge when it comes to service and maintaining the machine. I bought a Powerland recently very cheaply. It is a 100% MTD clone aside from the chute. Every part I've examined is a direct interchange. The reviews suggest the largest problem areas are the belts and tires. Typically belts are hit and miss as it is. I've replaced more than a few belts with Tractor Supply's Kevlar reinforced ones so long as the size was the same with far better results anyway. Tires or tubes are a dime a dozen at Harbor Freight. Unless I run over a boulder I'm bound to come out ahead (I may actually buy another).

However I spent $250 less than a comparable MTD and have worked with snow blowers and small engines enough that I'm milking a Roper 8/26 I garbage picked probably 9 years ago.

It is very unlikely there won't be minor kinks with an all Chinese blower. Tighten and check everything. Be prepared for a few minor adjustments. If all that is too much then it isn't something worth even pursuing unless it is dirt cheap.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes YSHSfan, Grunt liked this post
post #8 of 12 Old 12-30-2016, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for all the insight. I think I'll past on the YARDMAX and maybe picking up a single stage TORO. I would love to get a used, but I'm a first time buyer and wouldn't know what to look for. I watched the video linked in the other posts but not sure if it's enough, since I still lack the experience.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-30-2016, 10:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 38
Looked it up on Amazon. Outwardly, it looks like a nice machine. Reviews on Amazon are all over the place though; some love it, some loathe it.

With a 10" impeller and a decent OHV engine it's probably going to perform well (keeping in mind that most 2 stage blowers respond really, really well to the "impeller-mod"). I think the question for me is how well built it is, the quality of the steel, the paint, the welds etc.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-30-2016, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
. I think the question for me is how well built it is, the quality of the steel, the paint, the welds etc.
You already have the answers to all those questions..the bottom half of post #4 in this thread.

Scot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in