LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 12-28-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Gas Questions...

Have my new Toro 824 QXE and I'm ready to get it setup for snow. A few questions...

1) Can I add the fuel stabilizer to the gas container as opposed to the tank? Then the whole container is ready to go if my wife or someone else needs to add fuel. May seem like a dumb question but for some reason the guy at the yard equipment place where I bought it said to add it to the tank.

2) I heard higher octane fuel is recommended these days for small engines. Less ethanol. The Toro says not to use gas with more than 10% ethanol. My feeling is the less the better.

3) Do you have a favorite gas container you'd recommend? I have a couple in the shed that I use for tillers and chain saws, but they drip when I use them and the shed smells like fuel a bit because they vent. For the snowblower, I'm going to leave it in the garage all winter and I'm not the only one using it. So, I'd prefer a can with minimal venting and easy for the wife to setup to pour without her gloves smelling like gas.

Thanks for the support! This has proven to be a very helpful forum for my first snowblower purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 12-28-2016, 12:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 29
Q1) Yes, add it to the gas can. Be confident about that. I add it before filling the can, to mix it well during the fill.

Q2) While I cannot advise regarding using a higher octane, I can attest to the merits of using non-ethanol fuel. Consult this site for a location near you: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada. With that said, I buy non-ethanol high test and add 6 oz Seafoam to the 5 gallon can before filling. I never have a problem.

Q3) JustRite Type II Safety Can.
https://www.zoro.com/justrite-type-i...20/i/G2521294/
Expensive. I have four I purchased 10 years ago. I keep them in a plastic storage cabinet with a nitrile glove over the nozzle pointed up. Cabinet is vented and it keeps sawdust off of the cans. I'm a fanatic on gas and gas cans. I even bought the kit to test non-ethanol to be sure I get what I pay for.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiterTodd View Post
Have my new Toro 824 QXE and I'm ready to get it setup for snow. A few questions...

1) Can I add the fuel stabilizer to the gas container as opposed to the tank? Then the whole container is ready to go if my wife or someone else needs to add fuel. May seem like a dumb question but for some reason the guy at the yard equipment place where I bought it said to add it to the tank.

2) I heard higher octane fuel is recommended these days for small engines. Less ethanol. The Toro says not to use gas with more than 10% ethanol. My feeling is the less the better.

3) Do you have a favorite gas container you'd recommend? I have a couple in the shed that I use for tillers and chain saws, but they drip when I use them and the shed smells like fuel a bit because they vent. For the snowblower, I'm going to leave it in the garage all winter and I'm not the only one using it. So, I'd prefer a can with minimal venting and easy for the wife to setup to pour without her gloves smelling like gas.

Thanks for the support! This has proven to be a very helpful forum for my first snowblower purchase.
post #3 of 40 Old 12-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 765
Quote:
Adding it to the gas can is the best and only way to do it.
add it the empty gas can/container just before you fill it up.
Two benfits:
1. you know how much gas the empty container holds, so you know exactly how much stabilizer to add.
2. adding it to the container, then filling the container with gas at the pump, mixes it all very well.

adding it to the tank on the snowblower is a ridiculous idea, because you never know exactly how much gas is in there.
Your guy at the yard equipment place is clueless.

Quote:
most grades ALL have ethanol these days, if so, there is no advantage to using premium.
if all your choices have 10% ethanol, then just use the 87 octane, because its the cheapest..there will be no benefit to using premium if the premium also has ethanol.
If you can, look for ethanol-free gas.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Quote:
I bought one of these a few years back:

works great! never leaks. I found and bought the same can as the link above, but in the 1-gallon size, so the gas doesn't sit around too long.

one-gallon version:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1rrtiaMHxL.jpg

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 40 Old 12-28-2016, 01:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
Agreed add it only to the gas can, adding it to the tank of the 'blower is absurd and shows that the person telling you this has no idea what they are talking about..
Gas cans, one thing I can say is DO NOT buy the lousy Spectre ones with that horrible spring loaded spout, that ALWAYS leaks. I actually called the company in Canada to complain about them (I bought a bunch of them at West Marine due to Super Storm Sandy being on the way and they were all I could find. I have about 5 of them). She sent me new spouts but they are no better. For a good one look (moderately priced) at the No Spill brand, and for sure check out No Spill Jill .....

1998 Toro 3000 GTS with Suzuki 47p 2 cycle
post #5 of 40 Old 12-28-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Appreciate the tips, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
most grades ALL have ethanol these days, if so, there is no advantage to using premium.
if all your choices have 10% ethanol, then just use the 87 octane, because its the cheapest..there will be no benefit to using premium if the premium also has ethanol.
If you can, look for ethanol-free gas.
The theory I heard is that they use ethanol to cut costs so it is concentrated in the lower octane regular gas they sell the most of. They don't sell as much premium gas so it's not worth putting it there in higher concentrations. As you probably know, all octane levels between "super" and "regular" are just proportional mixes of the two tanks by the gas pump.

That's the theory anyway. Seems to make sense.

On gas cans, I was hoping for a plastic one as opposed to metal.
I actually do have the small one gallon one that was listed. I use it for chain saws. It's pretty good but as I don't store that clear plastic tube on the tank, it's still not exactly what I had in mind. Thinking of the wife here...easy open, pour, close, done.

That said, if I keep the tank full she will hopefully have enough gas to do the driveway. I'm not sure how fast the Toro burns fuel.
post #6 of 40 Old 12-28-2016, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
For a good one look (moderately priced) at the No Spill brand, and for sure check out No Spill Jill .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6QhDqumItw
Nice! Not only do I like no spill Jill, that can looks like exactly what I'm looking for.
Thanks!

Does anyone have these? Ahhhh....who am I kidding. I was impatient and just bought the 2.5 gallon version on Amazon.

Last edited by KiterTodd; 12-28-2016 at 01:24 PM.
post #7 of 40 Old 12-28-2016, 01:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
My neighbor had two of the no spill cans that he gave to me after he sold his back up generator and bought a whole house unit. He did not know about Jill, however, lol.
I still have old plastic cans from the '80s with real vents. I use one for my 4 stroke machines and the other 2 for my 2 stroke machines. One has a mix of the usual 2 stroke oil + gas for the Echo stuff and Husky chain saw, the other is for the Toro 2 stroke which is supposed to use the NMMA TCW-3 2 stroke oil (but can run on the Echo oil as well).

There is a way, you can...HMMM....modify....the EPA style cans....using....hmmmm spouts.....for water jugs....if you search round on the 'net....to get rid of the infernal leaky EPA spouts.....it involves a new spout....and adding a vent.....

1998 Toro 3000 GTS with Suzuki 47p 2 cycle
post #8 of 40 Old 12-28-2016, 02:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Received): 98
I use a 5 gallon plastic can just for storage. I use only a cap to close the can. No spout or any type or pouring. Pour from a 5 gallon can? Are you kidding me? I pour in to the machine from 2 different 2 1/2 gallons Eagle cans. I fill all 3 at the beginning of the season. When the 2 2 1/2 gallon cans are empty, I syphon out of the 5 gallon storage can in to the 2 1/2 gallons. When I refill them I only go about 3/4's of the can because it is easier to pour.

My sno thro tank is a little less than 1 gallon. During a fairly good size storm, I will use maybe 3/4's of a tank with my 342CC.

I use 93 octane with Startron and every now and then I add a little Seafoam.
post #9 of 40 Old 12-28-2016, 02:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 29
Good idea. I been workin' harder .... Crud, I just bought 2 new JustRite 5 gal cans with 1" nozzles. Come with 10 year warranty though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kielbasa View Post
. Pour from a 5 gallon can? Are you kidding me? I pour in to the machine from 2 different 2 1/2 gallons Eagle cans. I fill all 3 at the beginning of the season.
post #10 of 40 Old 12-28-2016, 03:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 8
First off if you can get ethanol free fuel buy that. Then you shouldn't need a fuel stabilizer. I'm lucky enough to have a ready supply of ethanol free fuel in both 89 and 91 octane at my favorite station. I keep a 5 gallon generic gas can full year 'round. I use it enough in the summer and winter that the fuel never sits very long. When your snowblowing season is over simply run your machine out of gas. Then refill with fresh gas before the start of your next season. I've never had an issue with any of my 2 or 4 stroke small engines using this method. If you think the gas in your can is going to sit too long, put in your car or truck tank. It'll be diluted with enough fresh gas that it won't be an issue. If all you can get is E10 then you'll need to use a stabilizer. Seafoam is not recommended for fuel storage as it's an ethanol based formula. Needless to say adding Seafoam to any gas increases the percentage of ethanol, so I don't know why anyone would do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page