LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-31-2016, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens vs Honda

Wondering if you can help me with this situation.

I live in Texas and bought a place in CO last year that we visit as often as possible (several weeks in the winter as well as the summer). It's at 7600 ft, and is at the end of a dirt road at the end of a dirt road. Neighbors all pitch in to help keep the place accessible, and I have a tractor with a snow blower on the back that sees frequent use throughout the season. However, the access from my driveway to the garage is fairly steep and at a slight angle, and I was unable to use the tractor to clear the deep deep drifts that accumulated between my visits up here. Even with chains, it would slide and that was very uncomfortable. So I basically had no access to my garage until the snow melted late spring. The prior owner lived here and maintained the driveway with each snow, but I can't do that at the present time.

I like the Ariens Platinum 30 SHO and the Platinum 28 w tracks, but I cannot find them anywhere in this part of the state or NW New Mexico. I'm hesitant to order it online based on several poor reviews of a couple of "direct" sales sites. I called about a few used machines listed in the area, but am also hesitant to buy a product like this not knowing how much wear and tear it has seen.

It is conceivable that I would have to clear hundreds of yards of driveway and road at times, and I understand both brands would do this work well.

I've also considered the pro line for Ariens, at which point the price difference compared to the Honda isn't as great. But once again, they are not to be found. I do not want to buy a cheapo machine and then need to replace it with another blower in a couple of years. I generally don't mind crying once over the cost. The Honda HSS1332 ATD is available in Durango, and the vast majority of the reviews I've seen about it are great, but is it worth twice the price? Are they that good??

Thank you for any and all guidance you can offer. Happy New Year, and be safe!

Last edited by MMCAN; 12-31-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-31-2016, 02:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCAN View Post
The Honda HSS1332 ATD is available in Durango, and ALL of the reviews I've seen about it are great
All?
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...d.php?t=104738

I was about to pull the trigger on a Honda but went Ariens hydro pro track 28 instead because

1) reports of the Honda clogging
2) reports of shear pins breaking too easily in the 928
3) my closest dealer sold Ariens.

But if you have nowhere to get warranty service on the Ariens, I'm not sure what I'd do. Do you have a Husqvarna dealer nearby? They also sell a track unit.

Last edited by matto; 12-31-2016 at 02:07 PM.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-31-2016, 02:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 342
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 1033
Likes (Received): 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by matto View Post
All?
[url]https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104738[/url
You do realize that your link has one 1332 problem with clogging, right? You need to be careful with the word "All".

The owner of my closest dealership in Traverse City, Michigan has told me that he has not had one single complaint of clogging of any new Honda HSS snowblower to date. I'm not saying people are not having problems (mainly with the HSS928) because they are, but it is not wholesale across the HSS line.

To MMCAN, seems the super wet snow is causing problems. I have super wet snow and have not had any clogging...not even close to clogging. The 1332ATD is a great albeit expensive piece of gear, but not 2x the cost of a tracked Ariens.

Honda HS828TAS (1991) – Made in Japan with Thai built GX240
Honda HSS1332ATD (Late-2015) – Made in USA with Thai built GX390

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
post #4 of 18 Old 12-31-2016, 02:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrom View Post
You do realize that your link has one 1332 problem with clogging, right? You need to be careful with the word "All".
I didn't say "all" as a statement! He said all the 1332 reviews were positive. And I replied, "all?" meaning that it's not quite all.

BTW there was a second 1332 complaint somewhere. I must have missed it.

Last edited by matto; 12-31-2016 at 03:01 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-31-2016, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 346
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 781
Whenever there is a sample size of one, you can safely ignore it, because its meaningless.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-31-2016, 03:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
Whenever there is a sample size of one, you can safely ignore it, because its meaningless.

Scot
I just reviewed the list and explicitly listed the machine that the person was referring to.

3 of the 10 are 1332.

I'm not claiming this proves anything. Just stating facts.

post #7 of 18 Old 12-31-2016, 03:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by matto View Post
...3 of the 10 in that list are 1332. I edited the list to explicitly show the machine type.
I see it now. Thanks for updating. Now it's looking more like a design flaw across the 928 and 1332.

Weird how there's been no problems in my neck of the woods even though we get our fair share of sloppy wet stuff being so close to large bodies of water - Lake Michigan for me and Grand Traverse Bays (2) for Traverse City.

180" to a rare 350" of snow per year (Alberta Clippers & Lake Michigan), 644' gravel driveway, 2 vehicle parking areas, 500' of trails around small house with an unheated garage.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Cardo111 thanked for this post
post #8 of 18 Old 12-31-2016, 03:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 294
It should be noted, the clogging complaints came from areas of the country with wet heavy snow, you'll be hard pressed to clog any snowblower in colorados fluffy dry snow. Hondas track machines are superior to their competition in a couple ways in my opinion.

How easy it is to turn and roll an HSS Honda with the triggers pulled, rolls like wheels.
Effortless bucket height adjustments, with "infinite"positions, lock it any any point of its travel range.
Effortless chute controls. Dual articulating chute for improved placement in tight conditions. (Hss1332)
On board 12v electric start, no extension cords.

I especially can't understand all the crying about the shears pins. They are not breaking out of thin air, people are hitting things. I broke one, on a rock... YES the pin in question should be a harder material, but deal breaker?...

I put a basic mtd shear pin in its place to finish the driveway and bought a couple from my dealer the next day.

Last edited by drmerdp; 12-31-2016 at 03:21 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-31-2016, 03:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmerdp View Post
Hondas track machines are superior to their competition in a couple ways in my opinion.
I just went through the buying process and compared Tracked Ariens and Honda models. Here's my take.

The honda rolls the easiest while off - by a mile. Pull the triggers and it moves surprisingly well. The Ariens tracks can be moved but you have to push pretty darn hard. The Hydro is slightly easier because it has a release lever, but it's not much better. I store the Ariens in the garage on a moving dolly and it rolls around quite easily, so it's really not so bad. But the Honda is definitely better here.

The Honda bucket height adjustment is also superior. It's infinitely variable and the bucket raises up higher than the Ariens. I did wonder whether infinitely variable is alway desired though. With the ariens you know where "flat" is. But if I could chose, yeah I'd take Honda's system.

Turning: I'd probably take Honda's triggers as well, but I'm reserving judgement until I use the Ariens in snow. I've only driven it around on dry pavement so far, and it's not very good. You have to push pretty hard to let the machine know you're trying to turn, then it turns a lot. Lifting up on the bars before turning made it turn much more easily. I'm holding out hope that it will work much more effortlessly in snow. The Husqvarna has steering triggers as well.

Chute controls: I'm fine with the lever. Super quick to go from all the way left to all the way right. The electronic controls look slow to me.

12v electric start: I don't need one more battery to worry about charging. I'd rather pull a cord or plug in a cord than have to buy another battery tender.

Shears pins: Yes, absolutely a dealbreaker. I bought an expensive because I want clearing snow to be a) fun and b) efficient. Stopping to change shear pins is neither of those things. If I buy top of the line snowblower I expect to have my hands up in the icy augers as little as possible. Toro advertises their machines don't have shear pins at all. That's not really true but it shows where the competition is going. I understand the purpose of pins, but they shouldn't be breaking unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited by matto; 12-31-2016 at 03:51 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-31-2016, 03:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
drmerdp said it well and I concur.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page