I hate to brag but..... (Wait, no I don't) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 12-31-2016, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 13
I hate to brag but..... (Wait, no I don't)

Has anyone else never ever EVER have a problem with clogging up? Last week we had 3 inches of wet heavy snow overnight. The next morning temps were hovering around 37 so it was very wet, sticky, and melting fast. I knew it would be a challenge for my single stage as it does not throw the heavy stuff well and the EOD still had a pretty good mound to clear. Went the route of overkill and got out the Toro. I was still able to throw this stuff 30' and never once clogged, no matter how slow I went. In fact, this is my second year with this machine and have yet to clog! I have had many brands of snowblowers over the years and was prepared with the broom stick handle to clear the chute-never happened. Just had to give out shout-out to the Toro Anti-Clog system-it works!. (I must confess, I secretly scoffed at the neighbors "big box store red machine" which was barely getting the snow out of the chute)

Toro 1128 HD PowerMax, 342cc, 16.5 ftlbs, 11+ HP
Ariens 722, 7HP single stage

Last edited by hfjeff; 12-31-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 3 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Hanky, micah68kj, detdrbuzzard thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-01-2017, 01:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Garage
What's their anti-clog system consist of? Are there design features that could be applied to other machines without too much trouble? My new Ariens Deluxe 24 could be better in the slushy stuff and after only 8 hours on the clock I'm thinking it might be time to consider some modifications.I usually leave stuff as stock as possible because modifications s might improve performance but they almost never improve reliability. But if i can improve slush throwing performance I might make some reasonable changes.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-01-2017, 02:02 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
What's their anti-clog system consist of? Are there design features that could be applied to other machines without too much trouble? My new Ariens Deluxe 24 could be better in the slushy stuff and after only 8 hours on the clock I'm thinking it might be time to consider some modifications.I usually leave stuff as stock as possible because modifications s might improve performance but they almost never improve reliability. But if i can improve slush throwing performance I might make some reasonable changes.
Slush is tough on any machine with dripping water evidenced with the gray color of the water logged snow. The pic shown might have some stickiness but nothing which should clog a machine as long as it is fed.
post #4 of 22 Old 01-01-2017, 02:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverRider View Post
Slush is tough on any machine with dripping water evidenced with the gray color of the water logged snow. The pic shown might have some stickiness but nothing which should clog a machine as long as it is fed.
My little lot seems to have it's own weather systems. There are places that will be much wetter than others. Most of my snow will look like the posted picture but then I have a large area I the front and an even larger are out back that will be very wet and look gray like you said. I've been wondering if I should find a used single stage for the wet work.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-01-2017, 04:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I installed a baler belt impeller kit on 2 of my snow blowers and it really improves wet snow throwing ability. Once I hit some standing water in my driveway with it with my repowered MTD 5/22 and it even sprayed slush and water out of the chute for several feet. Plus a slightly larger top pulley for the auger will speed up the impeller and that really helps too to toss the wet slop out. A nice airtight impeller kit really improves a 2 stage machine and makes it much less likely to clog up on the sticky snow.

Last edited by GustoGuy; 01-01-2017 at 04:38 AM.
post #6 of 22 Old 01-01-2017, 08:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 91
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 307
Likes (Received): 139
My Toro does the same it just out shines any other blower in the wet heavy snow. the plastic in the chute design must be the reason .

2014,TORO 1128 OXE Power Max HD

Last edited by Hanky; 01-01-2017 at 03:20 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-01-2017, 09:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 293

I wonder how exactly the bypass in the impeller housing is effectively eliminating clogging. My mtd with an impeller kit has not clogged since I installed the paddles and I'm talking about 1-2" of translucent slush.

Honda HSS1328AATD | Honda HS720 | Toro Powerlite | Simplicity 860se

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by drmerdp; 01-01-2017 at 09:37 AM.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-01-2017, 10:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 581
now if toro would combine the ACS with the drum auger it would be one heck of a snowblower

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #9 of 22 Old 01-01-2017, 11:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 98
I know that I have mentioned this maybe 3 to 4 times, but... this is all you need to prevent your sno thro from clogging or blocking up if you do not want to do the so called impeller kit.

This is my impeller kit...

My machine gets wax on any painted or chromed surface. Yes it takes a little time and you do get some scratches and cuts on your hands, but to me... it is well... worth all of the time and effort.

If you were to wax only the exit hole on a machine like on my Ariens 10000 series, you will not have any clogging or blockage. If you did more.. like underneath the exit hole, the impeller and the inside of the chute, augers and the inside of the bucket, you'd have this kind of result...

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks matto thanked for this post
post #10 of 22 Old 01-01-2017, 02:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
Has anyone else never ever EVER have a problem with clogging up?
Well,my poor old Toro 521(now a Harbor Freight 6.5) "China-Max" will handle wet slop without clogging 99.9% of the time.As long as the impeller doesn't stop while it has a mouthful,it doesn't clog.Other than the engine it's bone stock,no rubber flappers on the impeller or any other accessories.

I also used to use an old Snapper 824 at work that was the same way-I never had to ram anything down its throat to clear clogs.

Last edited by Mike C.; 01-01-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page